Reggie Fountain: Still at Fountain

Notices

Reggie Fountain: Still at Fountain

Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullhead
For me it is somewhat disheartening to see (and some may disagree with me) the most recognizable icon in the performance boating industry in a position where he may well be ousted from the company that he created. Without question he made mistakes, but most of us do in business. Having had the opportunity to have had several candid conversations with Reggie I can tell you he truly wanted to build his customers the best performing boats in the world. He absolutely believes that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday and it would be hard to deny the benefit that all of us received, in some form or fashion, from the fortune he spent on R&D to win on Sunday. I have also had the opportunity to meet and chat with the so called "bean counters" who are now in charge. It is obvious that they have a passion for boat building but certainly plan to move forward in a fiscally responsible manner. It will be a shame if the two parties cannot come to terms IMO.
I read every word and I understand where you are coming from, however where did the passion cross the line? I for one didn't appreciate the cat killer episode(s) or the P.T. Barnum escapades. there must be truth in advertising. I have never doubted his passion, but again my passion for what I do and 1.50 is only going to get me a cup of coffee at the corner store.
In reference to what Alec asked, my opinion is this. out of the two Reggie or Fountain Inc, the most succesful one would be the corporation. Could Reggie be a successful small custom builder, yes he could, but realistically count the number of boats that you see on the water, there are far more mid brands and "malibus" than high performance, for every 42 poker run fountain you will see 3-5 plain jane 29-35 foot production boats. When I pull out of the south River, i pass buy more formulas, cobia ,larson, Searay and bay liners before i see another Cig.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen Bill Gates in any pictures testing boats or cruising in a poker run. That's odd, since the guy "owns" the company. Reggie is still very active in all areas. What does that tell you ? frankenstein

It tells me Gates is not a boater. He doesn't even own a fishboat much less a performance boat or a yacht. Paul Allen OTOH owns TWO huge yachts, both of which are on the 100 largest yachts list.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

what part of this is not the same Bill Gates that owns Microsoft do you guys not understand?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I read every word and I understand where you are coming from, however where did the passion cross the line? I for one didn't appreciate the cat killer episode(s) or the P.T. Barnum escapades. there must be truth in advertising. I have never doubted his passion, but again my passion for what I do and 1.50 is only going to get me a cup of coffee at the corner store.
In reference to what Alec asked, my opinion is this. out of the two Reggie or Fountain Inc, the most succesful one would be the corporation. Could Reggie be a successful small custom builder, yes he could, but realistically count the number of boats that you see on the water, there are far more mid brands and "malibus" than high performance, for every 42 poker run fountain you will see 3-5 plain jane 29-35 foot production boats. When I pull out of the south River, i pass buy more formulas, cobia ,larson, Searay and bay liners before i see another Cig.
The fact of the matter is... the guy that designed your tub got mowed down by bullets....to this day we do not know who ordered the hit....but we do know the hit got executed....the only thing GM and Fountain have in common is they both went bankrupt in a bad economy.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see more Bayliners than I do Cigs. Does that mean Bayliner is a more succesful company??
Old 12-10-2010, 06:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
The fact of the matter is... the guy that designed your tub got mowed down by bullets....to this day we do not know who ordered the hit....but we do know the hit got executed....the only thing GM and Fountain have in common is they both went bankrupt in a bad economy.
easy there anger smurf, it's just an analogy... oh and just for the record the guy that designed my tub is alive and well...Craig Barrie, who I believe is still working for Donzi. I would love to hear his take on all of this.

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I see more Bayliners than I do Cigs. Does that mean Bayliner is a more succesful company??
it very well could be, I see more Hyundai's than Ferraris, whats your point?

My point is that if the Big Corp chooses a strong business plan offering Mid-range models, there chance of success is as good if not better than some of the small custom builders as they can make less profit per unit and smaller builders need to hold higher margins to remain profitable. The problem is you guys are thinking with your loyalty and not as a business person, and that is what gets people in trouble..."nothing personal just business"

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 12-10-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I haven't seen Bill Gates in any pictures testing boats or cruising in a poker run. That's odd, since the guy "owns" the company. Reggie is still very active in all areas. What does that tell you ? frankenstein

It tells me Gates is not a boater. He doesn't even own a fishboat much less a performance boat or a yacht. Paul Allen OTOH owns TWO huge yachts, both of which are on the 100 largest yachts list.
just so the record is straight....the Bill Gates of Liberty Associates is NOT the same Bill Gates of Micro-soft

With all due respect I have seen both Bill Gates and Johnny Walker at several pokerruns and boating events including Key West this year....most just don't know who they are
Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Can you imagine trying to start up a competing boat company to the one with your name on it, in this economy, at his age?
This happened to Mark Levinson Audio Systems. Since selling his company to Harman, he can't use his own name...he designed and built HIGH end audio systems that also branched into the automotive industry in 2001 Lexus models.

oh...and at one time, Mark used to own a triple engine 42 Fountain...I was working for Jimmy at Falcon while "between careers" and he used to service the boat. Mark was married to Kim Cattrall at the time and brought it to the marina by water because one of the motors was overheating...i climbed in the bilge while Kim was on the boat and somehow sliced my hand up on a hoseclamp and started bleeding all over. She noticed it promptly went in the cabin an got me paper towel to wrap my hand in ...nice folks...this was just before "Sex and the City" started heating up...they are since divorced...but i digress.

Last edited by Sean; 12-10-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Thanks, contrary to belief in the Baja forum... I know a few things about the marine biz. I'll call RMF at home the minute he goes this direction. Everyones main gripe is the price of new boats. So what if a new 42 w/ 700's copuld sell for $199,900? and what if you could get into a 35X for $89,900 with 0% financing for 72 months? See what Im saying?
DollaBill

While i respect your opinion I do not think anyomne could sell a 42 with 700's for that price. Isn't the motor, trans and drives close to that cost ? You still need the hull, steerring ,interior etc..... I will say Yes If any builder could make a 42 with 700,s there would be a back order forever. I just do not think it can be done for that cost.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando

Seriously, do people only read the first post and the last post in threads? How many times has it been discussed that this is NOT MS BILL GATES.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.