Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Color me POOR !!  ( NYC Poker-Run ) >

Color me POOR !! ( NYC Poker-Run )

Notices

Color me POOR !! ( NYC Poker-Run )

Old 05-15-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the NYC poker run last year and we were done in a 1 1/2 hours, plus the food was really beat. The fast boats were done in one hour. This year I 'm thinking about doing the red eye run on the bay.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the exact reason I have yet to run in a Poker Run. I cannot justify that kind of money to go run around with other boats. I do that every weekend and it only costs me gas!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:07 AM
Registered

I'd like to see some more "fun runs" for us little guys.

Anyone interested in organizing one on the Hudson? I'd like to unload somewhere north and run to NYC and back. Maybe overnight somewhere.
What do you think?
Old 05-15-2002, 10:06 AM
The Walls have ears....
Charter Member

Talking You can always move.

Bajadave, you will need to move to the southwest. American Hot Boat Association has its two HeatWave poker runs for $150 each. We also do a Lake Powell five day fun run, $10 a hand - just for fun. Now we are putting together a Elephant Butte, NM poker run July 27th - $100. This is just the start, not to mention all the other events and get togethers.

Mike Campbell
American Hot Boat Assoc.
www.americanhotboats.com

ps - we boat year around.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

Default Where does the rest of the 80 GRAND go ??

Sure, they are paying for your slip and throwing a party,,, but B.F.D. !! I certainly know that, well in my case " semi-high-performance-boating " isn't cheap, they could certainly make it a little more affordable for the " General Public "...

There are enough of us on the Hudson, Why couldn't we all get together and organize some type of " poker-run " from like the TZ bridge up to the mid hudson bridge or something ?? or is that considered gambling ??, there is probably something illegal about it.....
Old 05-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've been involved in the organization of our Poker Run in Richmond, and all we try to do is break even. We charge $250 for two people (one hand) and that includes prizes, 2 t-shirts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, and helicopter video. The entrant still has to pay for slip and hotel. It's amazing how much things cost. I have the income vs expense numbers, and right now we're in the red by a couple of thousand dollars. If we have a surplus we give away additional prizes at the awards dinner.

You as a "consumer" of Poker Runs need to look at costs vs benefits. I feel the people that attend our PR feel they are getting good value for the dollar, because they come back year after year.

Steve
www.geocities.com/Richmondpba
Old 05-15-2002, 12:20 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

who's up for organizing a "poor people's NYC poker run"

i'd be in. I think at thos eprices i might have to hitch a ride on the linsen
Old 05-15-2002, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my early performance boating days, I really wanted to do that poker run, because on the east coast, it is the mother of all poker runs...simply by the sheer number of boats and the location being New York City.

Lately my thoughts have changed and maybe I'm just not that type of boater anymore, but it I still consider it the premier run on the east coast. It may have gotten too big for me to be comfortable running in it...the Manhassett Bay run is a bit smaller and probably more my speed...

As Cignificat pointed out, and what some of you guys may not realize, is that it takes and awful lot of money to put this thing on in NYC. The costs of the dock slips alone are quite high, not to mention the food, insurance, etc. Do I think Billy is making money at this? Probably, but I think he puts on one hell of an event. Yeah, I've heard in the past that the food has run out and has not been all that good, but I think each year he improves it.

The bottom line is that this is an expensive sport...every aspect of it and as my pop told a potential customer once..."if you have to ask how much it costs to fill her up, you probably can't afford her..."

...and as for the "poor people's run"...there's always my little Summer Fun Run to Claudio's which I'll be organizing again this year...probably towards the end of June(house closing pending).
Old 05-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Registered

Default I fully understand that putting on an event in NYC is costly,,, But

the old saying " if you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it " is total B.S.. 550.00 is certainly not going to put me in the poor house, but for the average boater on this board, i'm sure 550.00 is a TOO little rich for their blood.

I guess this run seperates the boys from the men as far as bragging rights go, but there are four seperate classes,, + 100 mph, pro-class, sport class and cruiser class, so just by this fact alone, they are not trying to keep it out of reach for the rest of us..

I will stop *****ING now,,,,,

Anybody up for a NYC fun run ???
Old 05-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chris...after just buying the "new" boat and a "new" house, this run is certainly too rich for my blood as well. I'm under no delusions about my financial well-being either...but perhaps next year or maybe even this fall, I'll do a run with Mr. Frenz.

In the meantime, put the boat on the trailer and bring it down for the free Summer Fun Run...whe had roughly 25 boats in attendance last year and I expect more this year.

Sean

Quick Reply: Color me POOR !! ( NYC Poker-Run )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.