Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Al Gore "Ethanol a Mistake" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243753-al-gore-ethanol-mistake.html)

ckin62 12-08-2010 10:29 AM

It is not renewable at all. Sure you can re-grow corn but, it takes more energy to convert it to power than the out come yields. That is a depleting energy source. Engineering constantly shows that the best solution is the most direct especially with energy and its consumption. You would be totally amazed at how much energy is lost in a energy analysis of an electric car.

Keytime 12-08-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ckin62 (Post 3269746)
It is not renewable at all. Sure you can re-grow corn but, it takes more energy to convert it to power than the out come yields. That is a depleting energy source. Engineering constantly shows that the best solution is the most direct especially with energy and its consumption. You would be totally amazed at how much energy is lost in a energy analysis of an electric car.

Isn't there an excessive amount of pollution generated in the manufacturing of batteries as well?

Wobble 12-08-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3269683)
Really? I must have missed the part where ethanol is being pulled from the market, and/or the farm subsidies are terminated.

In fact the current "flavor of the week" is the addition of Urea (Cow urine) to diesel engines starting this year to "clean up" the environment. Anybody sense another farm subsidy in the middle of all this?

I hate politicians.

I believe that Urea or carbamide used for emissions purposes is synthetic.

Too Stroked 12-08-2010 10:47 AM

Wow, Al Gore let politics win out over science? I for one am shocked. What's next? Will we find out that Global Warming is a sham? Will we find out that spending money we don't have is bad for the economy? Will we find out that bacon is actually good for you?
:lolhit:

ApachePete 12-08-2010 10:51 AM

Unfortunately, the MANDATED amount of ethanol will increase next year.

Even if tax subsidies are eliminated in the new budget (remains to be seen), it will take a whole new law to eliminate the mandate.

What are to odds of that happening, given all the other burning issues for the new congress?

I'll bet we're stuck with this $hit for a long tome.

Waterdogs 12-08-2010 10:55 AM

Corn is either food, or it's fuel. It can't be both, we can't be trusted. I'm waiting for the next Enron come in and lean us over the counter if we don't wise up soon.

ducktail 12-08-2010 10:55 AM

Relax. Don't panic. Science is coming.

Release, European Press:

"Schwartzkraft Engineering and Jayboat OOps Corp. have started a joint venture to rescue the world from the red algae threat and convert the pest into fuel (100 octane) for go-fasts after the Chinese have used this blessing for the mankind for the last centuries for medical treatment and nutrition. The two entrepreneurs are going to get the red danger out of the oceans by forks and will change the grease by three steps into red gold, for sale for a fortune."

More informations later in a couple of minutes.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5513804_red-marine-algae.html

VetteLT193 12-08-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3269662)

That means that:
E10 lowers mileage by 3.4%, and
E15 lowers mileage by 5.1%

Originally Posted by Mentalpause (Post 3269689)
In my F150 E10 lowers the mileage by closer to 10%. Luckily I can buy non ethanol at FS, like Knot said. And when I am in Missouri most of the 87 octane is still non ethanol.

It kills the mileage in my vehicles too. easily 10%, if not more.

I'd say E10 would lower the mileage by 3.4% in a flex fuel vehicle that is designed to accommodate for the fuel blend. In that situation it isn't so bad because it should make a bit more power too.

But... in vehicles that are not flex fuel the engine computer really doesn't know exactly what is going on, what exact blend to use so it does the best it can. that is where you get hosed.

Mentalpause 12-08-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 3269767)
It kills the mileage in my vehicles too. easily 10%, if not more.

I'd say E10 would lower the mileage by 3.4% in a flex fuel vehicle that is designed to accommodate for the fuel blend. In that situation it isn't so bad because it should make a bit more power too.

But... in vehicles that are not flex fuel the engine computer really doesn't know exactly what is going on, what exact blend to use so it does the best it can. that is where you get hosed.

My F150 is flex fuel enabled. It still dings it 10%. I've never run E85 in it, and won't, I hope.

T2x 12-08-2010 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 3269756)
I believe that Urea or carbamide used for emissions purposes is synthetic.

Either way, my point is that we are now forced to introduce piss (real or synthetic) into diesel engines. Another example of politicians believing they are scientests or engineers. Once these "improvements" are made (catalytic convertors, ethanol, death taxes, Obamacare, etc.)...you can't get rid of the nonsense under any circumstances, it seems.