Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Just Curious (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243804-just-curious.html)

Catastrophe 12-15-2010 02:10 PM

No rift from me. I got my answers and understand both points of view completely.

1MOSES1 12-15-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3274843)
I wish more were like you.

I have read the entire thread and am surprised at some of the comments. People keep commenting about they can get the info for free elsewhere. Can you? Then why are you getting it here? Will you really get the correct info elsewhere?

paying to become a member does not ensure that correct information is being advised...the forum owner would have to moderate this facet, which is not the case

Where else are you going to get a true experts invaluable advice for free and know that it's correct?
because people paid they are now experts? haha

Also, why should the advertisers pay the entire bill? I'm not sure about others, but I find it difficult to put a value on advertising here. I seriously doubt that I get a positive ROI just from my add. I get my ROI from spending hours a day answering questions and giving advice. I highly doubt that someone just sees my add and decides to call me to buy an engine.
your ROI and business success is not my perogotive nor any other members...if answering questions and participating in forum discussions helps your business then so be it, but we dont force you to offer advise. Again as a non-paying member I dont owe this site anything. this holds true for any person(s) browsing the forums.

I'm not doing it to generate business, since the VAST majority of guys I help will never buy anything from me and I know it.
then why complain above?

TEAMBAJA 12-15-2010 02:27 PM

I could honestly care less who pays and who doesnt. But I cant understand why the non-supporting members are getting so defensive over this subject. One year of OSO is cheaper than one month of directv, and I spend way more time on here. With all those commercials and advertisements, shouldnt my directv be free too?

1MOSES1 12-15-2010 02:27 PM

its funny...i posted a thread on this topic knocking OSO for making this a paysite forum (to become a "full fledged" member) and it gets moved to a section that no one reads...but

when someone posts a thread on this topic agreeing with OSO, it stays in the section with most visibility...hmmmm

link for those who dont beleive me...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/h...-question.html

1MOSES1 12-15-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA (Post 3275324)
I could honestly care less who pays and who doesnt. But I cant understand why the non-supporting members are getting so defensive over this subject. One year of OSO is cheaper than one month of directv, and I spend way more time on here. With all those commercials and advertisements, shouldnt my directv be free too?

No but can you imagine the cost of television if advertisers werent involved...

Catastrophe 12-15-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3275325)
its funny...i posted a thread on this topic knocking OSO for making this a paysite forum (to become a "full fledged" member) and it gets moved to a section that no one reads...but

when someone posts a thread on this topic agreeing with OSO, it stays in the section with most visibility...hmmmm

link for those who dont beleive me...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/h...-question.html

Lose your conspiracy theory.

My original question had nothing to do with IB. So none of this is agreeing or disagreeing with them.

Their pay structure or reasons for charging isnt part of the conversation.
Its simply asking why some decide to pay and others dont.

And for the most part, there are 8 or 9 replies for each .

Thanks

Matt Trulio 12-15-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3274801)
This is much like stopping by the local gin mill on the way home from work, the cocktail will for sure cost you more than making one at home, but you are paying for the atmosphere and being to share time with some friends for a while.__________________

Nicely put.

I became a Platinum member this morning. It's way cheaper than buying drinks for you guys, but probably not as much fun.

Interceptor 12-15-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3275339)
Lose your conspiracy theory.

My original question had nothing to do with IB. So none of this is agreeing or disagreeing with them.

Their pay structure or reasons for charging isnt part of the conversation.
Its simply asking why some decide to pay and others dont.

And for the most part, there are 8 or 9 replies for each .

Thanks

I got to ask .........
what would have been the position regarding membership on SOS if you guys had bought the site ?
ed

Catastrophe 12-15-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 3275349)
I got to ask .........
what would have been the position regarding membership on SOS if you guys had bought the site ?
ed

Similar to here.
Base usage free.

If someone wants to spend more $$ for something nominally better....their choice. ( Better being more PM space etc.)
BTW , thats only my opinion. There were 3 other people involved who could have made a different decision.

Probably would have been a decision of the volunteer board which would have been left in place.

Racegirl3 12-15-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3275325)

Your question was to OSO/IB, hence moved to the section for OSO/IB questions. His question is to the membership.