Notices

Just Curious

Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

its funny...i posted a thread on this topic knocking OSO for making this a paysite forum (to become a "full fledged" member) and it gets moved to a section that no one reads...but

when someone posts a thread on this topic agreeing with OSO, it stays in the section with most visibility...hmmmm

link for those who dont beleive me...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/h...-question.html
Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
I could honestly care less who pays and who doesnt. But I cant understand why the non-supporting members are getting so defensive over this subject. One year of OSO is cheaper than one month of directv, and I spend way more time on here. With all those commercials and advertisements, shouldnt my directv be free too?
No but can you imagine the cost of television if advertisers werent involved...
Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
its funny...i posted a thread on this topic knocking OSO for making this a paysite forum (to become a "full fledged" member) and it gets moved to a section that no one reads...but

when someone posts a thread on this topic agreeing with OSO, it stays in the section with most visibility...hmmmm

link for those who dont beleive me...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/h...-question.html
Lose your conspiracy theory.

My original question had nothing to do with IB. So none of this is agreeing or disagreeing with them.

Their pay structure or reasons for charging isnt part of the conversation.
Its simply asking why some decide to pay and others dont.

And for the most part, there are 8 or 9 replies for each .

Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
This is much like stopping by the local gin mill on the way home from work, the cocktail will for sure cost you more than making one at home, but you are paying for the atmosphere and being to share time with some friends for a while.__________________

Nicely put.
I became a Platinum member this morning. It's way cheaper than buying drinks for you guys, but probably not as much fun.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Lose your conspiracy theory.

My original question had nothing to do with IB. So none of this is agreeing or disagreeing with them.

Their pay structure or reasons for charging isnt part of the conversation.
Its simply asking why some decide to pay and others dont.

And for the most part, there are 8 or 9 replies for each .

Thanks
I got to ask .........
what would have been the position regarding membership on SOS if you guys had bought the site ?
ed
Old 12-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I got to ask .........
what would have been the position regarding membership on SOS if you guys had bought the site ?
ed
Similar to here.
Base usage free.

If someone wants to spend more $$ for something nominally better....their choice. ( Better being more PM space etc.)
BTW , thats only my opinion. There were 3 other people involved who could have made a different decision.

Probably would have been a decision of the volunteer board which would have been left in place.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your question was to OSO/IB, hence moved to the section for OSO/IB questions. His question is to the membership.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Your question was to OSO/IB, hence moved to the section for OSO/IB questions. His question is to the membership.

Oh Yeah....that too. Didnt think of that , thank you.

But , mostly it was because you didnt agree with IB
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
You're actually the most valuable type of member Plowtown. It doesn't get any better than you. Advertising rates generally get degraded once they see the click throughs and sell throughs don;t amount to much of anything.
Originally Posted by Young Performance
I wish more were like you.
Thank you guys. If your ever in the St. Louis area during boating season, get ahold of me if you wanna hit up some local lakes

Originally Posted by SS930
I'm also very much amazed and amused so many paying members here think so much more of themselves
I'm not saying that anyone thinks like that but it kinda seems like it sometimes on here. Its the one thing that irks me about OSO every once in awhile.

Another thing:
People on some of the boards think that because of what boat you run, it shows what your "status" is in life. I had a guy on one board that felt like he was more of a boat guy than me cause he had a 38' offshore V-bottom. I told him there's a reason I specifically looked for a perfect 20 Outlaw for 6 months and invited him to come out to my closest local lake ( Lake Lou Yaeger ) with his boat cause everyone would laugh at him. Edit: 8 mile long lake but the north 3 miles are silted in and less than 4ft deep

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 12-15-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

paying to become a member does not ensure that correct information is being advised...the forum owner would have to moderate this facet, which is not the case

because people paid they are now experts? haha

your ROI and business success is not my perogotive nor any other members...if answering questions and participating in forum discussions helps your business then so be it, but we dont force you to offer advise. Again as a non-paying member I dont owe this site anything. this holds true for any person(s) browsing the forums.

then why complain above?

First of all, I fail to see why you are so upset. Why are you surprised at my comments. I fail to see what is so surprising about them. It's my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. Being an advertiser has absolutely NOTHING to do with my opinion.
I NEVER said that paying makes a member an expert. What I said is that there are many experts here. Isn't their knowledge worth something? I seriouisly doubt you will find this level of boating expertise anywhere else. Is that not worth something? If bad advice happened to be posted, it would be corrected in very short order. Would that be the case elsewhere? Maybe, maybe not. It has nothing to do with paying. This site simply has a wealth of knowledge. This isn't the only one, but I would bet it has the highest concentration of knowlegable people in this field. It has nothing to do with paying. It is what it is. Is that worth anything to you? Maybe, maybe not. If you don't think it is, then don't become a member. Boatfreaks is an awesome site that I also advertise on. It is completely free.
You're right.....my ROI does not concern you. I'm sure no one really cares what my ROI is.The point I was trying to make was that just advertising and having a little add on the side of the page does not just bring people beating the door down. The return comes from spending hours online helping guys, whether they have an 80' Nortech or a rowboat. They appreciate the help and some show their appreciation by becoming a customer. Again, that is not why I do it. I do it because I want to and enjoy doing it. I had a bunch of help growing up when I couldn't afford to pay someone. I know what it's like. Which brings us to the last point you attempted to make. AT NO POINT IN TIME IN MY POST DID I COMPLAIN. You pulled my comment completely out of context and changed it's meaning. You also mysteriously neglected to include the sentence following that one. You know, the one where I said that I do it all for my love and passion of the sport. I don't do this for the money. I could probably make more money doing something else, but I don't want to. I happen to love what I do and am able to make a living at it and could not be happier. I also happen to think I'm pretty good at it. There may even be a few people that would agree with me.
This is the reason that I never get involved in opinionated threads. There are always people that will disagree and twist another's words to suit their needs.
If my advertising $ helps keep this place here, then I will continue to do it. I have no problem with IB making $. That's why they bought the site. I also happen to be in business to make money. I would also bet that every business owner here is in business to make money.
Bottom line. If you don't think this place has any value, then don't become a member. If you want to become a member, then great. It doesn't effect me either way. I don't mind paying to get something in return, whether it is as an advertiser or just a member. I have been both.
We obviously have a difference of opinion and that's fine. I never asked for anyone to agree with me. Some may, some may not. It's great that we have the ability to form our own opinions.
Sorry for the rant. I'm done.
Eddie

Last edited by Young Performance; 12-15-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.