Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243859-fiat-fpt-diesel-560-hp-1000-tq.html)

HabanaJoe 12-14-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 3274664)
All of them.. I'm the one who created it and the transmission in the box to keep the engines in the aft part of the boat. I have a drop in the Arneson. Chain/Gear depending upon rotation. Close coupling have the transmission in the box, drive line applications have it forward.

So, you can OD that then, what kind of trans and could you get an SAE#3 close enough hook it up (you know the turbos hang over the back sometimes)?

Jassman 12-14-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 3274650)
surface drive's all the way :)

Arneson = peace of mind....under rated for the power they will handle..

Jassman 12-14-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3274252)
First of all I hope Mike will forgive us all for wandering away from the thread title where he was looking for info on FPT. As always happens with these diesel threads different product gets mentioned but the discussion is always interesting and we all learn something from it.

To answer Tommy, Jeff and anyone else interested my experience with the Yanmars has been nothing but good. It serves my purpose of pushing a heavy boat at speeds up to mid 70's which still allows me to do poker runs but cruises comfortably at about 68 MPH all day long with a 400 mile range. Would I like a package that would give me another 10 + MPH ? You bet. For those not familiar with what I am running, it is 50' Nor Tech Vee with trip Yanmar 480's hooked up to Arneson ASD - 8 drives. My 9 ft beam allows for the three Yanmars side by side. The Cummins ( which I agree with Joe is a great motor with support network ) are too wide to fit 3 in. As far as FPT, I have only recently became aware of their offering and will follow along to see how they do in the months and years ahead. I wish them well. I expect for a long time to come tho, a supporting dealer network here may be an issue ?
Anyway I will get back to answering Jeff and Tommy's questions. Jeff as far as smoke goes it is no issue at all. I have learned that when backing into a slip as long as you do not throttle up as we do with our gas boats, there will be no smoke. It's hard not to touch those throttles when you have a bit of wind or tide action going on but I have learned how to manage it nicely and occasional use of the bow thruster is just the ticket.
Tommy was interested in operating costs as compared to gas and gave the example of 500 Bulldogs. Never had those in any of my boats but I can offer a comparison with my previous 50 NT with trip 850's which may not be a good comparison but may show why I like my current setup better.
Top speed - 850's = 97 MPH 480 Yanmars = 76 MPH
Cruising speed 850's = 75 + Yanmars = 68 - 70 MPH
Range with same 400 gal tank 850's = 200 miles Yanmars = 400 miles
Consumption at cruise 850's 2 gal / mile Yanmar's 1 gal / mile
Time between rebuilds 850's = 300 hrs when new and every 225 - 250 hrs max after that. Yanmars 440 hrs at this time and still very strong. Could be in thousands of hours but who knows?
Yanmar repair history in first 440 hrs - Starboard motor - never been touched, center motor small leak in fuel oil line, and port motor rebuild power steering pump. My costs are measured in the few hundreds of dollars as compared with a staggering amount that would reach 6 figures on some years with the 850 gas. With the 850's in addition to rebuilds every 12 to 15 months due to high usage I would need either new headers or repairs every 2 years, transmission rebuilds, # 6 rebuilds and I can go on and on. I have none of those issues with my current setup. I just go boating !

Thank You Bob...great info, no hear say, and one kick azz boat.. :ernaehrung004:

now..someone said the Cummins have more torque at a lower rpm..is that true... and what is the torque on the Yanmars and FPT's.. LOVE this thread.. :drink:

HabanaJoe 12-14-2010 08:46 PM

I don't know if anyone said torque, maybe me?

But I refernced the Cummins "C" against the FPT and I think the Yanmar as well as having more CUI and that will have the ability to pull from the lower RPM's better to get on plane.

You had the diesel boat what's the worse engine RPM's , just trying to get on plane 1,200-1,1500 where you just can't make enough boost to get the props turning and the engine seems flat - more cubes can help over come that.

mikebrls 12-14-2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 3274660)
You will have to play the game to get the prices.. They will price them differently according to what you want with them meaning it might be less expensive to purchase the engine with a gear rather than a gear and engine separately.

the dealer i spoke with for sometime about the fpt was pushing the zf 2 speed , i would rather get the wiesmann 3 speed :)
but it all depend's on the info and research i find out about the muilti tran's. unless i buy a boat already set up with the deisal's and arniee's already there .

mike

Rik 12-14-2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3274695)
So, you can OD that then, what kind of trans and could you get an SAE#3 close enough hook it up (you know the turbos hang over the back sometimes)?

Both Yanmar and Cummins have a bellhousing that accepts a Velvet Drive transmission bolt pattern so that would not be a problem and drive lines can be made in nearly any length needed if there is clearance issues.

Yes, the Arnesons are over/under capable in both rotations.

stainless 12-15-2010 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3273153)
We were guesstimating the other day that a 44SL Outerlimits with 560 FPT and Arnesons would run 90mph maybe even low 90's. That is a full cabin boat.

Hmmmm.......sounds familiar..........

Catmando 12-15-2010 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3274343)
Dream on! :drink:

Why do you always bring them up, seriously are you planning on being a dealer or something when they release them?

I'll tell you my take on this again from a different view point, even if the engines run well and have some degree of longevity (1,000 hrs, which I think will be extremely high for them), if I had Bob or Jeff's money (I'm not counting it just going by the toys they post) and given their taste for quality production boats (not one off customs or modified), their expectations for dependability and let's bring up another point - Jeff trades his boats out often it seems - RESALE!

Why would they or the reputables builders they choose with install Banks engines in their boats?

Either owner knows selling the used diesel boat is a harder sell for so many reasons, you need the right buyer. That buyer will look twice at the engines because they might be taking the boat to a different area to boat - where will they get Banks service & parts? How many hours are the engines really good for, because Bob might have used the boat to go from Maine - Brazil and back twice - LOL!

There is a place for the Banks product and until it is proven the upper eschelon of customers and builders just won't look at it. You see the resistance on this thread not from me alone but others about FPT who is a gobal engine builder with billons of dollars behind them.

Cat, I would like to see someone rise-up and do it but the obstacles to selling into the top builders and having the top customers buy them is too great for Banks to overcome. If Banks was really serious they would build a boat with Bravo type drive or RIK Arneson / Bravo conversion (leave the Bravo element, people feel safe with it) and go race it here in the US with Charlie and whatever organization is putting on races next year in a "P" class and then set a couple records. Without 2-3 years of winning and not everbreaking then you'll get people to try them - you pushing them will not get it done.

All I wanted to find out is where they're at in terms of product rollout. The guy wouldn't tell me. I think they're being very hush-hush about it. They might bring their demo motor to the Miami show again this Feb. though. Maybe some of you diesel freaks could drop by the booth...

mikebrls 12-15-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 3274626)
I spoke to a yanmar dealer in tampa fl , area start's with " m" for got the name but they have ben in the biz, for a long time . i told him i was looking at yanmar power performance boat and asked how many hour's i should get out of the motor's .

this is the best part dont know if it's true or not

10,000 to 15,000 hour's on non performance boat's

and would estimate a good 5,000 hour's on a performance boat and maybe more depending on how it was driven . but he has not had to rebuild any performance boat's yet with yanmar's they just dont put enough hour's on them .

he did say that there are some small thing that have to fixed here and there but nothing to do with the motor block head's ect, mostly accessories on the motor .

that is amazing if true .

anyone know of a deisal performance boat with over 1000 + hour's ? for better insight

i know there's a 40 hustler with the 350 hp yanmar's for sale and it has 1100 hour's and of course since there selling it they say it run's great ."maybe it doe's" " but to slow for me " :)

mike

anyone have info on this amount of hour's or is being a sell's man .

thank's
mike

Steve 1 12-15-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 3274718)
Arneson = peace of mind....under rated for the power they will handle..

Exactly, I have seen #8 s come back in with a 6 blade Rolla nothing a nub on the shaft from trying to drive it off of a rock pile and the drive good to go while a # 6 would last these guys 5 minutes.