Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq >

Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq

Notices

Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq

Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing to do with the FPT engines
however anyone want to guess at the kind of HP and tq figures for the NEW Audi diesel Le Mans challenger, engines have been reduced for this years event from the previous 5.5 litre V12 TDI DPF now down to a mere 3.7ltr V6 unit ...
Further details on the R18 TDI’s powerplant, including its power and torque outputs, are as yet un-revealed. Audi is understandably keeping its cards close to its chest until the R18 first competitively turns a wheel

Diesel as some of you probably know did rule at this years Cowes Torquay Cowes endurance event this year, both 1st and 2nd were FPT engines
1st place The boat HabanaJoe often talks of with 4x560FPT so 2,240hp total hp

2nd place another Buzzi with 2 of the larger FPT engines kicking out 650hp each so 1300hp total
Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

That old Gancia still winning races - amazing! Well the OL with the Brits should when dialed in run circles around her finally after all these years!

RIK - let's play here now that I know you can do that with the box.

Here's what I'm going to do in my mind, purchase a single engine 29' Fountain. I will take out the gas engine and drop in a 480Hp Cummins "B" diesel. I want to install your Arneson Bravo conversion and I want a prop rpm of around 4,500 rpm so a OD of like .75 -.80 whatever you have in that range. We'll use the Velvet/72 series trans direct drive.

Question do you think I can swing a 16" dia with enough pitch to use all the power or do we need taller gears - my objective is not to go over 16" dia. I'll explain why, the little boat requires a lot of throttleing if we do open ocean racing like Charlie is setting up and if we attempted a few records here and there. The little dia props let me throttle easier, the engine will response quicker as the OD gears, you know work like Jake Brake - LOL.

I also know from Fabio, (seen it first hand) the power the diesels can exert is tremendous they have torque, the big Dia bites and can break while the small dia allows for a factor of built-in slip to cushion everything.

I'd like smaller dia down to 15" but don't how that might work, your thoughts and advice are welcome as always

How fast do you think she can run light on fuel set-up like I desribe?

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-17-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquafun
Nothing to do with the FPT engines
however anyone want to guess at the kind of HP and tq figures for the NEW Audi diesel Le Mans challenger, engines have been reduced for this years event from the previous 5.5 litre V12 TDI DPF now down to a mere 3.7ltr V6 unit ...
Further details on the R18 TDI’s powerplant, including its power and torque outputs, are as yet un-revealed. Audi is understandably keeping its cards close to its chest until the R18 first competitively turns a wheel

Diesel as some of you probably know did rule at this years Cowes Torquay Cowes endurance event this year, both 1st and 2nd were FPT engines
1st place The boat HabanaJoe often talks of with 4x560FPT so 2,240hp total hp

2nd place another Buzzi with 2 of the larger FPT engines kicking out 650hp each so 1300hp total
I'm just going to put this out there that by looking at the exhaust coming from the Gancia in that photo those are not 560hp, they are at least 650hp - too much black and at the transom. Nice electronic clean burning engines might be a little cleaner, if not won't be welcome to race in KW!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
That old Gancia still winning races - amazing! Well the OL with the Brits should when dialed in run circles around her finally after all these years!

RIK - let's play here now that I know you can do that with the box.

Here's what I'm going to do in my mind, purchase a single engine 29' Fountain. I will take out the gas engine and drop in a 480Hp Cummins "B" diesel. I want to install your Arneson Bravo conversion and I want a prop rpm of around 4,500 rpm so a OD of like .75 -.80 whatever you have in that range. We'll use the Velvet/72 series trans direct drive.

Question do you think I can swing a 16" dia with enough pitch to use all the power or do we need taller gears - my objective is not to go over 16" dia. I'll explain why, the little boat requires a lot of throttleing if we do open ocean racing like Charlie is setting up and if we attempted a few records here and there. The little dia props let me throttle easier, the engine will response quicker as the OD gears, you know work like Jake Brake - LOL.

I also know from Fabio, (seen it first hand) the power the diesels can exert is tremendous they have torque, the big Dia bites and can break while the small dia allows for a factor of built-in slip to cushion everything.

I'd like smaller dia down to 15" but don't how that might work, your thoughts and advice are welcome as always

How fast do you think she can run light on fuel set-up like I desribe?
It might be easier to use the new 28' Outerlimits Hull as Mike has it designed for something very similar to your concept. Not to mention they are still in business.

The #7M Kit will handle the power even with reduction as I have several of the Yanmar 440's in front of them so OD will be a breeze..

We can do a 1.32:1 OD and you have your 4500 prop speed. Being a diesel I would entertain a 6 blade small diameter.. What is the speed goal?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
It might be easier to use the new 28' Outerlimits Hull as Mike has it designed for something very similar to your concept. Not to mention they are still in business.

The #7M Kit will handle the power even with reduction as I have several of the Yanmar 440's in front of them so OD will be a breeze..

We can do a 1.32:1 OD and you have your 4500 prop speed. Being a diesel I would entertain a 6 blade small diameter.. What is the speed goal?
I like the way you think Rik!!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Registered

I was at OL earlier and they showed be the mold, I loved it - I was told there might be a similar project being started????

I figured with all the threads about Fountain going on I might stir the pot a little. If I could afford it I would run to OL, what a genuinely nice bunch of people up there! (I put their OL sticker in the back window of my truck as a reminder of my next goal in life!)

As far as speed goes, we need to be 80's and I agree more blades and shorter - just interested in your overall opinions.

My hope is maybe someone that reads these ranting of mine and sees I could be right and enough people like yourself agree, that a person of greater means than myself today will build one.

Not on a soap box but for the movement Charlie would like to bring back, the diesels are the answer. I get very upset when people on here like Jassman, the Eliminator 43 are unhappy with the diesel packages they brought. The boats' could have been set-up better and I just don't like the rapp that they get.

I have nothing to gain, I don't make a thing, sell a thing, nothing with boats or diesels just know I did it, it works and that's that. I want someone to carry the torch on!

And RIK thanks for listening!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I was at OL earlier and they showed be the mold, I loved it - I was told there might be a similar project being started????

I figured with all the threads about Fountain going on I might stir the pot a little. If I could afford it I would run to OL, what a genuinely nice bunch of people up there! (I put their OL sticker in the back window of my truck as a reminder of my next goal in life!)

As far as speed goes, we need to be 80's and I agree more blades and shorter - just interested in your overall opinions.

My hope is maybe someone that reads these ranting of mine and sees I could be right and enough people like yourself agree, that a person of greater means than myself today will build one.

Not on a soap box but for the movement Charlie would like to bring back, the diesels are the answer. I get very upset when people on here like Jassman, the Eliminator 43 are unhappy with the diesel packages they brought. The boats' could have been set-up better and I just don't like the rapp that they get.

I have nothing to gain, I don't make a thing, sell a thing, nothing with boats or diesels just know I did it, it works and that's that. I want someone to carry the torch on!

And RIK thanks for listening!
Habana, I was not unhappy with the concept, fuel burn, how it planed, docked...my only problem was that there was a goal of 80mph. Im the type of person when I have something in my head, thats it, we go for it. NorTech did everything possible from gearing to props to make me happy, as well as tried to get to that magical number. Heck, there was over 20 hours on the boat before I went on my first test ride. When building there was the uncertain, we knew what twin 440's did, but not the 485's. Moving forward, the boat had a lighter lay up, but speeds were essentially not any different than a gas 525 boat, maybe 1-2mph better. The additional torque did not make up for the speed anticipated. 74 was what we ended up with. Would I do another diesel boat, most definitely, but it would have to be a non-turned up factory diesel package with a warranty. Low 80mph would be the goal. I do know that the 39NT tested at around 82 with the same powerplant in PB Magazine. The difference in weight is about 3500 pounds, which would mean Id have to get my next 43 in the 11k range, and still no guarantee. The FPT's, or a diesel with this power/torque I would end up going to. Maybe Yanmar or Cummins will get that figured out...until then, .....exploring options.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure was great to see this old boat do the business in the very rough seas in this years CTC race, and in many ways very fitting it should win again on the CTC 50th anniversary and if you had been their Joe I'm sure it would have brought back great memories of the 80's for you as well ... however as you say no doubt the Outerlimits would have stolen the march on this 80's hull which would have been a pity, but things must move on.

Buzzi has it is said squeezed around 625ish hp out of the 560's in the past so may be he had the wick turned up for this race, who knows

One remarkable thing with Buzzi's win in such horrid rough seas was his age around 67 years young, so unless you US guys have developed a time machine without letting the rest of the world know non of us are getting any younger
Fabio Buzzi doing what he loves
Old 12-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered

Look, I'm a huge Buzzi's fan, I said this before he's not the smartest, the nor the most inovative person, but what he does do better than most is take proven concepts and apply them to their fullest potential! I wish I was there and if he said 625 he's a damm liar!!! That means at least 675!!!

I have to add to the remark above, in Buzzi fashion he would tell you they put more Hp out than they do to get you to run harder and break. He would go out and run, you have to keep up and you think he has a lot more left, he'll wear you out by just making you stay with him! He's clever, I give him credit!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-18-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
I like the way you think Rik!!
Hey, Mike called and we have discussed this already. I completely believe he can and will design a great 28' boat and he has some very good ideas with it so props to him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.