Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243859-fiat-fpt-diesel-560-hp-1000-tq.html)

stirling 12-12-2010 02:14 PM

Joe ,not sure what your point is ,but I assume by saying the gas engines are dyno,d at 500hp at a given rpm,lets say 5400 rpm ,after that rpm the horsepower start to drop as the torque fals off ,rpm climbs a bit ,but at a few hundred rpm,s more than 5400 the rpm limiter cuts in ,where horsepower has been dropped to 450 or so... not sure exactly but prob not too far off ?

Pantera24 12-12-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3272921)
Pantera or whoever there are pics on here of my old 24' Monza A-47 that boat was diesel, I always screw up the searches, can someone find a couple of them and copy them here so we can discuss?

Here ya go...[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/34fhezo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/aka4wo.jpg[/IMG]

7075T6 12-12-2010 02:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Lots of snow and really cold here but when the spring comes...

FPT 560,s, ASD-8L
ZF 300-ATS(2-speed 1:1.18 / 1:0.875) with electric throttle/shift
Ready boat should be below 10000 lbs

bustedbrick 12-12-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3272917)
Go to 370Hp Cummins would not be bad either, you would still run 55mph at least and cruise at 45 like it's nothing, use the Arnesons, a little TD gear with 1.15:1 gears you'll be happy. The bigger engines let you run faster for those days that you might want to.

Thanks Joe.

QSB5.9 or the Yanmars are about 1400lbs each (I think the Yanmar is a bit lighter with the trans). Would the original stringer system and hull structure hold up OK? Are major structural mods usually needed for this kind of swap?

HabanaJoe 12-12-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera24 (Post 3272918)
Right this second ... zero ...hahaha no motor in it.!

But it's an older hull 1981..so originally it had a 330hp BBC with TRS and Merctrans ... with a tail wind and good day probably ran 62 at wot.

So, right now even a paddle would do better - LOL!

Here's what will and will not work:

Do it right

Wow, didn't anyone ever wonder why we played with diesels all those years ago when you read what I wrote can't you see endless applications for them - quite, dependable, non explosive, better fuel economy so smaller tanks????

Any way if I were doing it I would do this:

Now that's just me!

But, you can diesel that pantera for little money there are so many used 250Hp or 300Hp B series out there, very cheap and you have everything else to make it work. There was a 250Hp 4 cyl B which would fit right in wouldn't even have to double check the front engine room bulkhead distance and it would work. You could cruise that boat to Key West or Nassau and not think twice about (good weather days).

Let's be real in the 24' how many days can you really run more than 50 mph for 160 miles to Nassau even if you could?

HabanaJoe 12-12-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by stirling (Post 3272928)
        Joe ,not sure what your point is ,but I assume by saying the gas engines are dyno,d at 500hp at a given rpm,lets say 5400 rpm ,after that rpm the horsepower start to drop as the torque fals off ,rpm climbs a bit ,but at a few hundred rpm,s more than 5400 the rpm limiter cuts in ,where horsepower has been dropped to 450 or so... not sure exactly but prob not too far off ?

You just made my point 110% and that was if I'm able to use 100% of the Yanmar's Hp for 100% of the time and I can only use 90% of the gas engines Hp and for 90% of the time, the diesel power puts more useable Hp to the water for a longer period of time - it has to win!

This is not new this is Fabio Buzzi 101, I love that man, even though he saw me and my program as a problem that he needed to get rid of, he still want about things in a logical common sense fashion that you can't dispute.

I love this on a rainy day, God I yearn to get back doing this!

HabanaJoe 12-12-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 7075T6 (Post 3272931)
        Lots of snow and really cold here but when the spring comes...

FPT 560,s, ASD-8L
        ZF 300-ATS(2-speed 1:1.18 / 1:0.875) with electric throttle/shift
        Ready boat should be below 10000 lbs

Look there Overdrive gears and a little FB parrot in the background - niceeeeeeee!

mikebrls 12-12-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 3272825)
        Mike, maybe I misunderstood on my set up... The multi only makes it easier to get up on plane as it goes through the gears, but still yeilds the same top speed if the ratios were the same.. thanks Jeff

i guess i misunderstood , i thought that a multi speed would give u that extra gear to go faster at a lower rpm .
        so i guess the only good thing about them is for around the dock ?.
        it just doesn't seem rite . what about with a 3 speed tran's ? i would think that extra gear could make the prop spin faster and create more speed ? just like it would slow down the prop for around the dock .

im new to this deisal stuff so im just trying to learn thank's for all your help .

just so you guy's know im looking to do about 80 mph top end and to be able to cruise at around 60 mph with good fuel consumption .
        so let say the 43 nortech had an extra 80 hp per side , how much speed over the 74 mph do u think it will go ?

thank's again
        mike

HabanaJoe 12-12-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera24 (Post 3272930)

Ahhhh, Navistar 6.9L naturally aspirated diesel about 220hp on the Dyno. That boat would cruise all day at 45mph. Some of the most memoriable days I've ever spent with my wife and I, running along the Fl coast or NJ coast for hours and hours drinking Heineken's and getting burnt to hell. That little boat ran all around Coconut Grove to Saint Pete Beach and tied up behind Melons had some grouper and to the launch ramp behind the Dons where the truck and trailer were left! Not all in one shot but just to prove the engine can do it.

Pantera24 12-12-2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3272942)
        So, right now even a paddle would do better - LOL!

Here's what will and will not work:

Do it right

Wow, didn't anyone ever wonder why we played with diesels all those years ago when you read what I wrote can't you see endless applications for them - quite, dependable, non explosive, better fuel economy so smaller tanks????

Any way if I were doing it I would do this:

Now that's just me!

But, you can diesel that pantera for little money there are so many used 250Hp or 300Hp B series out there, very cheap and you have everything else to make it work. There was a 250Hp 4 cyl B which would fit right in wouldn't even have to double check the front engine room bulkhead distance and it would work. You could cruise that boat to Key West or Nassau and not think twice about (good weather days).

Let's be real in the 24' how many days can you really run more than 50 mph for 160 miles to Nassau even if you could?

HMMM....so let's say a 300hp B series coupled to a Bravo xz would make a nice reliable and bulletproof package that would cruise at ? and max out at ? your best guess.?