Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq >

Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq

Notices

Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq

Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The Cummins "B" series engines 4 & 6 cly were a joint venture bewteen Case and Cummins, if you looked at an old Case backhoe you would see a "B" looking Case diesel in it. Cummins has always had license agreements with other engine builders around the world to make their products under other names.

As far as is the FPT a Cummins or is the Cummins an FPT, my money is it all comes from Cummins first.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Please don't anyone take what I said about FPT as a knock on their product, it is first rate.

My concerns are you take a diesel boat and run it all around, up & down like Bob the Builder does and if you have a problem you could have trouble getting service because of a not so robust dealer network.
You are so right, Joe. I had an issue that needed looking at when in the BVI and there was a Yanmar Service Center at Virgin Gorda Yacht harbor less than 10 miles from where I was staying. I will sacrifice a few MPH any day to have a product that can get serviced or fixed in short order.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting article.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...car/index.html
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Registered

Steve,

Cummins has always been a leader in on highway vehicles, the first with many things that is why they have dominated the truck engine market for so many years (yes, Detroit and even Cat have had some good years but year over year shear qty goes to Cummins).
Old 12-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Rik do you know if its going to be under the Cummins name or does Mercury have something to do with it?
It will fall under the CMD banner
Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Ain't know way know how that motor is burning only 8 gallons an hour at 2000 rpms. One again the great diesel fairytale.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

The SV52 OL from England that ran in the Around LI race had 4 of those in it. Unfortunately they only had a few hrs of testing time on a brand new boat, and the new boat bugs bit it. At one point they were running 103, once they get it sorted out it should run better than that. Awsome boat and crew.The boat is specifically designed for endurance racing. There is some video of it running on you tube.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Registered

I rode up to OL right after that race to see the boat up close and see what happened.

It's really nice boat, I can't explain how nice - I fell in love with it!

Anyway, the engines were not the failure and I expect to see that boat running like hell next year!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Its somewhat of a learning curve on diesel set ups. Gear ratio, tranny and type of higher rev motors all play a crutial part in the dialing in process. I my self had Yanmars like Bob, but would look at Cummins next...but then I will not want an NXT drive... I prefer the Arneson...thats when it comes less attractive price wise when you cannot package the two...Like Habana mentioned, Dealer networking is extremely important. Good Luck. Jeff
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

Jeff, I always admire you and respect you but I have to say you are dead wrong about the diesel learning curves.

Diesels absolutley 150% dominated Class 1 and US Open Class when they came over here for years. The learning curve was 27 years ago and perfected 25 years ago.

People just do not want to look at what history has taught them. Like Sonic said the OL ran 103 mph with 4-560hp and it appears people think that is great!

The Gancia ran 104mph with 4-600hp Seateks in her in 1988 and those are heavy mechanical engines that can not compare to the FPT's the OL has in it.

Add the fact that the OL is light years ahead of the Gancia in terms of hull design and construction - what the OL (I don't mean OL the factory but the boat owners) did in my book almost embrassing. The fact that it broke down and why it broke was a simple error in gear design (not OL, not FPT) - an error that was corrected by PatW, ZF, Buzzi, the Diesel Dancer guys and a couple more over 20 years ago is just a poor understanding of engineering and history - that is my opinion. (I hope they were not Pat's boxes, I never asked you made them?)

Now, those Brits are smart and will get it right and that boat will absolutely be the boat to destroy Buzzi but you can't go ahead in anything until you understand where you have been.

I have what is left of money tied up in different things that not for the downturn in the economy I would be OK today, not great but OK, I could at least put gas in my fishing boat - LOL!

I see things picking up soon (I hope) and when I can, I will build the diesel record boat and would love to have guys like you and Bob the Builder run with me. Why build it, because I'm stupid and I'll pour way to much money in to something again and again to prove a point. I believe in the diesels and I know what to do with them, PatW could hook you up tomorrow with the right boxes, RIK has the drives and if you wanted NXT drives PatW could make you the right boxes.

I may not be up on all the new electronics that diesels run today, I'm a dinosaur but props, gear ratios and drives don't know electronics from old style Cummins PT pumps as Kitami used to say "same-same"

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-11-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.