Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq >

Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq

Notices

Fiat Fpt Diesel 560 Hp 1000+tq

Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pantera24
Hey guys I have never owned a diesel boat but have always been intrigued by all it does have to offer, that a lot of you you have mentioned. Making consistant HP over long periods of time. I'm wondering what package/combo you might recommend for a 24' Pantera? Most of the diesel's have been on bigger boats and I always wonder what would work on a smaller boat like my old 24'. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for all the info. you guys provide on the board.
Well your boat might be too light for a diesel with enough power to make it run well, but I'll let Joe chime in here. He'll know.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Catmando - RIK didn't say they are useless he said in that example it won't increase speed.

Look at real life, with the propellers and gear ratios needed to use all the Hp the diesel has available at full rpm it is almost impossible to get on plane and then you do like I talk about is really tall gears and little propellers to overcome that problem.

The multispeeds allow you to compenstate for that and use 100% of the Hp you have available - RIK is 150% right if you are using 100% of your Hp then adding the gear boxes will do nothing and might hurt you!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Watch these guys going with a Yanmar diesel powered Hustler ,they used Arneson ASD8,s and 440hp yanmars and single speed transmissions 1,11 :1 they ran in 2008 coniston speed record weeks in the UK measured by a mile to mile 2 way course , They did something about 89 mph single way ,not sure because I couldn,t find the artikle ..
Anyway they won the P1 championship ,so I guess they had to battle the same length boats with 500-525 EFI,s ,maybe it wasn,t the fastest boat on every course ,but they finshed most of the time without breaking stuff ...

http://www.veoh.com/collection/power...519810FH8XFpan
Old 12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This diesel thread, and all the others, piqued my interest and started some daydreaming.

Weight of a BBC with 72C is probably around 850 pounds give or take. Let's say I wanted to convert a 500HP straight bottom TG to diesels with Arnesons. To keep around the same weight, I get into a pair of Yanmar 3L 68Y260's, 260hp (A bit lighter, one step up jumps in weight). I'm way down on HP but lighter and can carry less fuel. I was a high 60's MPH gas boat. What am I at now? 45? Can I tune the Yanmar to get me to where I was or is this simply too small of a engine to start with?

What I'm trying to get at is there are lots of well built older boats around. Forgetting about resale value and focusing on the technical aspects of the swap, what would be the easiest "best-fit" diesel to replace a BBC?

Thx, Randy
Old 12-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stirling
Watch these guys going with a Yanmar diesel powered Hustler ,they used Arneson ASD8,s and 440hp yanmars and single speed transmissions 1,11 :1 they ran in 2008 coniston speed record weeks in the UK measured by a mile to mile 2 way course , They did something about 89 mph single way ,not sure because I couldn,t find the artikle ..
Anyway they won the P1 championship ,so I guess they had to battle the same length boats with 500-525 EFI,s ,maybe it wasn,t the fastest boat on every course ,but they finshed most of the time without breaking stuff ...

http://www.veoh.com/collection/power...519810FH8XFpan
I look for this team every time I watch P1 they have certainly earned respect on the course. I have ridden in a 40 Hustler with triple 650 gas engines in really snotty water and it was a rock. Joe knows how to build strong fast boats.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Registered

Pantera - how much Hp in your boat now, what drive and how fast - I'm driving at something here with those questions

stirling - the SH's, Buzzi's nor Diesel Dancer ran multispeeds and they went 100 mph plus! Also you make my point Hp is Hp whether it is diesel or gas in the case of going faster in type boats.

Now I have a question for anyone that has an answer with some facts or data to back it up - ok speculation is good too!

The 2- 500Hp Mercs, in perfect shape, just run on the dyno and put out exactly what it was meant to (I assume there is a rev limiter as well?). You put the engines in a race boat and you go race it hard against that diesel P-1 boat, the engines hit the rev limiters consantly even if for mirco seconds, you throttle it, etc, etc - how much Hp do you think it is really sustaining at WOT - 450, 475, 500 or 410????
Old 12-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
This diesel thread, and all the others, piqued my interest and started some daydreaming.

Weight of a BBC with 72C is probably around 850 pounds give or take. Let's say I wanted to convert a 500HP straight bottom TG to diesels with Arnesons. To keep around the same weight, I get into a pair of Yanmar 3L 68Y260's, 260hp (A bit lighter, one step up jumps in weight). I'm way down on HP but lighter and can carry less fuel. I was a high 60's MPH gas boat. What am I at now? 45? Can I tune the Yanmar to get me to where I was or is this simply too small of a engine to start with?

What I'm trying to get at is there are lots of well built older boats around. Forgetting about resale value and focusing on the technical aspects of the swap, what would be the easiest "best-fit" diesel to replace a BBC?

Thx, Randy
480Hp Cummins or 440Hp Yanmars - the reason the little 260's would be bad I think is that you will run small props and when you back those 260 down a little the baot will fall off plane like a rock. The larger Hp engines will run larger props and have a better cruise, ability to stay on plane at slower speeds.

Go to 370Hp Cummins would not be bad either, you would still run 55mph at least and cruise at 45 like it's nothing, use the Arnesons, a little TD gear with 1.15:1 gears you'll be happy. The bigger engines let you run faster for those days that you might want to.

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Pantera - how much Hp in your boat now, what drive and how fast - I'm driving at something here with those questions......

Right this second ... zero ...hahaha no motor in it.!

But it's an older hull 1981..so originally it had a 330hp BBC with TRS and Merctrans ... with a tail wind and good day probably ran 62 at wot.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered

Pantera or whoever there are pics on here of my old 24' Monza A-47 that boat was diesel, I always screw up the searches, can someone find a couple of them and copy them here so we can discuss?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

150% right lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.