Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boats vs. Planes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/243946-boats-vs-planes.html)

Chest Rockwell 12-13-2010 07:55 AM

Nice rides! Both the plane and the boat.

Mykalvballer 12-13-2010 08:24 AM

You are my hero. I am trying to sell my boat and get a plane. Looking at a Piper, Cessna, or Cirrus. Anyone want to work out some type of trade let me know...

BraceYourself 12-13-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ttuton (Post 3273263)
How do you like the Joystick vs. a conventional yoke or stick?
Beautiful plane BTW.

The stick is great. Rest your elbow on the padded door ledge and just move your wrist. It has aileron and elevator trim on the stick so very easy to trim off pressure. Also ready pad for data entry is in front of the center counsel. I like all the room in front of me instead of having the yoke there. Don't have to worry about pulling the yoke back and hitting your passengers knees.

Knot 4 Me 12-13-2010 08:35 AM

Very cool plane! There is a restaurant/bar with outdoor seating at our local airport (BMI). We like sitting out there in the summer and watch the small planes taxi up to eat dinner.

Catastrophe 12-13-2010 08:42 AM

Congrats on all that . Very exciting.

From Day 1 when you decided to take lessons, how many hours of teaching have you taken to get to this point ?

How much did the lessons cost to this point ?

How much did you have to spend in plane rentals to get to this point ?

Does having a private license nullify your life insurance ?

Have you ever left on a long trip and ran into bad weather that you couldnt go around or surprised you ??

Now that you have done all this and from what you now know, if you were going to start all over again would you choose fixed wing or helicoptor ??

Kudos to all the guys on here that can fly !!!!!!!!!!

BraceYourself 12-13-2010 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3273317)
Congrats on all that . Very exciting.

From Day 1 when you decided to take lessons, how many hours of teaching have you taken to get to this point ?

How much did the lessons cost to this point ?

How much did you have to spend in plane rentals to get to this point ?

Have you ever left on a long trip and ran into bad weather that you couldnt go around or surprised you ??

Now that you have done all this and from what you now know, if you were going to start all over again would you choose fixed wing or helicoptor ??

Kudos to all the guys on here that can fly !!!!!!!!!!

I started flying in July. I did not have a lot of previous experience. I flew at least twice a week every week. I still haven't missed a week of flying. It's the way to do it rather then spreading it out over a long time. To get your private license you need to pass a medical, written test, check ride, and oral test. My instructor didn't screw around, I solo'd at 9.5 hours and passed my privates with 40 hours which is the minnimum requirement. I have close to 100 hours now. This plane is really geared for a 200+ hour pilot but I'm going to get great training and will be there before summer. Private license allows you to carry passengers and fly at night. IFR allows you to fly in clouds and inclement weather. Also all my trainging has been in the G 1000 avionics and is a great safety tool. It cost about 6K to get my pilots license. The plane I bought is a hot rod and the rental rate I've seen can be as high as $300 and hour. I bought my plane and am not going to figure out what it's costing me. Just like the boat, if I really knew I'd loose the fun. Also I have taken helicopter lessons and be it that they are cool. They are slow and take more work to fly, where in the plane I get in the air and hit auto pilot and relax.

Catastrophe 12-13-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 3273320)
I started flying in July. I did not have a lot of previous experience. I flew at least twice a week every week. I still haven't missed a week of flying. It's the way to do it rather then spreading it out over a long time. To get your private license you need to pass a medical, written test, check ride, and oral test. My instructor didn't screw around, I solo'd at 9.5 hours and passed my privates with 40 hours which is the minnimum requirement. I have close to 100 hours now. This plane is really geared for a 200+ hour pilot but I'm going to get great training and will be there before summer. Private license allows you to carry passengers and fly at night. IFR allows you to fly in clouds and inclement weather. Also all my trainging has been in the G 1000 avionics and is a great safety tool. It cost about 6K to get my pilots license. The plane I bought is a hot rod and the rental rate I've seen can be as high as $300 and hour. I bought my plane and am not going to figure out what it's costing me. Just like the boat, if I really knew I'd loose the fun. Also I have taken helicopter lessons and be it that they are cool. They are slow and take more work to fly, where in the plane I get in the air and hit auto pilot and relax.

Thanx

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!

Jupiter Sunsation 12-13-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3273317)

I think if the insurance was in place prior to licensing it doesn't make a difference. Not sure it makes a huge difference on new insurance for a single engine but start asking about twins/helicopters and I think they get nervous.

Same goes for diving, recreational diving 60 ft or less no big deal, free diving (no tank, hold your breath) 80-100 ft and you maybe uninsurable. :eek:

BLee 12-13-2010 09:58 AM

Congrats on the new plane & getting your licensing!

I love to fly too....from the back seat with a cocktail, but I love it! It would take me YEARS to be able to fly anything we have, so I just leave it to the professionals, lol.

You'll be happy to have the plane when Poker Run season comes back around. Have someone haul the boat to the run, & you can just zip on over, as well as get out of there on Sunday whenever you want :cool:

Keep having fun with it, & be safe!

paul buckner 12-13-2010 10:32 AM

pilots

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 3273141)
I wish I could say not bad. However I'm still a rookie compared to 1000 hour pilots, so my pucker factor is there. It's actually not a bad thing though, being comfortable and complacent leads to accidents. Just making sure I'm never the first one to the crash site. :)

nice boat and very nice plane THERE ARE OLD PILOTS AND THERE ARE BOLD PILOTS BUT THERE ARE NO OLD BOLD PILOTS just thought i throw this in heard it somewhere re,paul