Notices

Poker run capable?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker run capable?

Curious what would be considered minimally capable for Florida Powerboat Club poker runs.

The Tuff 28? http://www.tuffmarine.com/Boat_Pages...28_inboard.htm
Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by tabajay
Curious what would be considered minimally capable for Florida Powerboat Club poker runs.

The Tuff 28? http://www.tuffmarine.com/Boat_Pages...28_inboard.htm
Could work but don't expect to get to the card stops anytime but last! My 32 Sunsation is very often one of the slowest boats on FPC runs, lots of heavy iron in the club. Pick your events and that boat will be cool, KW run that boat would be a beating (long ride, can get rough on the last 30 miles through open ocean). On the Winter Rally run in January to Hawk's Cay it could be fun (small group, not likely to run 90 MPH to get there).

The biggest obstacle to smaller boats is your top speed is very likely the rest of the boats "cruise" speed. So if a run is going 65 MPH (in a 38 525 powered anything that is cruise) you will be running WFO.

The other thing is that boat will only run 95 MPH on relatively flat water, I wouldn't think you could maintain 60 in a 2-3 ft chop without having white knuckles.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard good things about this brand, but have never seen one up close.

jupiter is correct.

Whats the angle of the V in that boat?

It's one thing to be able to run in that water-

You also have to navigate and in a sub 30 non 24degree v's you have to expend considerable effort actually navigating while wave jumping as you start getting pushed off course.
The v angle starts to make a big difference in a small v with big waves.

I have a fast ocean capable 28 footer myself and usually run with boats 5-10 feet longer and its work if at all possible-

Same run on a lake the small boats become a better proposition.

Its still better to be out there rather than not and Im sure you'll run into a lot you can beat with it. It just wont be at poker runs in florida.

Keep us posted if you do go out though that boat looks fun!

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 12-10-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have run with Mark side by side in some pretty nasty no wave pattern wind blown breaking 2 to 4 footers and the 28 does the job very well.

As for cruise speed, 80. It is a very well built custom boat. Nothing bad about its design or execution.

That said, was it designed to be an "ocean boat"? No. Will it run bow to bow with a 38 ft V in big swells? No.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

If you want to do the runs, just do them. Dont let the boat dictate your level of fun. We did the Key west run a couple years ago in a 26 Sonic w/ a 496. were we the smallest and slowest boat there? Yes. Were we the last to all the stops? No. Fast boats dont always run fast for long!

We had an absolute BLAST, by the way!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered

I love that 28, if I had the $$$$ I would own the Black 06 28 they have on the web site.
But I wouldn't be running in the open ocean with it...no way.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's on the small size of boats, but you can have alot of fun
doing the runs. I had a 30Y2K Superboat. and the boat ran
94mph and I was one of the first V bottoms to the stop at the
Miami boatshow run last year.Boat ran and I kept up with the
big boys loved 2-3 chop. But I did do the Royal Purple Poker Run, and that lake beat the sh-t out of us. It was rough that day, lots of boats stayed in but we did the run and it was good 5's on the lake. Put that boat up forsale when I got home and bought a bigger boat. Just go have fun and besafe.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you considered the new Outerlimits SV29? It will be more than capable to run in some choppy water and will be very fast for the power.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW - If I were wanting to ride in rough with a 28' anything I would prefer some more freeboard on the sides, and dropdown bolsters. I just personally don't feel safe in those sleeker style sit-down boats, but maybe that's just me.

If I were looking into a 28' boat for FL poker runs I would be looking more at the Pantera and Apache hull.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

I really appreciate the replies, thanks.

I understand the 28 Active Thunder with a 525 is the more capable 28' rough water boat, but considerably slower. Is something like the 33 Active Thunder with 496HOs probably the minimum V then?

How about a 28 Skater? Are cats that much more capable in the rough? They the most efficient way to run with the group? Or are they more expensive (incuding insurance) that the 33 AT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.