Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Swap Shop Etiquette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/244164-swap-shop-etiquette.html)

CigDaze 12-17-2010 07:37 AM

First come, first serve. Period. It's not that difficult. There was a clear commitment to fulfill the deal for asking price, and it should have ended there.

That was complete bullsht! Talk about some dick moves. Those are rbr's gauges, and he should have paid 425.00.

Rottiguy 12-17-2010 07:45 AM

RBR got the gauges, but not for the advertised asking price of $425. He had to pay the bogus offer price of $500...

sonicss42 12-17-2010 08:23 AM

The right thing the seller should do is refund $75 back to buyer in order to maintain a sense of integrity. Only my opinion, we all make mistakes but this one could be corrected.

TEAMBAJA 12-17-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by rbr2328 (Post 3276673)
Well I got the gauges for $500. Lightning Jet ran the price up and was given the chance to call by 10am and never did so I got them. This is typical when selling on ebay somebody runs a bid up and forces a legitimate buyer out and never pays. I feel I still got a good deal.
As far as calling I saw the ad at 9pm and would never call anyone this late so posting and PMing was the only option till morning.

So why pay $500? That was an ad with a set price, not an auction!

pachanga 12-17-2010 11:15 AM

I posted this in the original thread offer:

Originally Posted by Tres (Post 3275888)
looks like the 500 buyers gonna get it. I had to turn off my phone last night.

I must say I am quite surprised how you handled this! Is $75 really worth the negative slant it gives your charactor? I am in a business where this situation presents itself to me frequently. If I took the extra $75 each time my customer base would erode to nothing over time.

I think you should mark this up as a lesson learned and stand by your original price!

PS! I have no dog in this hunt and don't know anyone envolved...just a matter of business ethics IMHO!

pachanga 12-17-2010 11:24 AM

Tres! This got me to thinking about a scenario in your business!

What would you do if you had a class that was full. Someone comes along that wants to take your class and offers $500 more to get in the class which is full. Would you take the $500 and bump someone out,if so,how would you choose who to bump?

TEAMBAJA 12-17-2010 11:25 AM

Hell, I wish I would have seen the ad first and bought them. I split them into 2 sets and hold a couple of auctions to the first 4 guys that posted looking for a set for a single.

Maybe someone should contact Tres to let him know this is going on. Im sure he will repond and resolve this.

Velocity Vector 12-17-2010 11:31 AM

Same thing happend to me in a Whore house one time I got beat out by just 2"

smokin' gun 12-17-2010 05:03 PM

the whole deal that went on with the gauges was bull .my friend was sent a pic of the gauges listed on line and got in touch with the guy .he was told they were his at the 425.00 price and to call back in the morn with all the info to complete the sale . for 75.00 he was beat out of the gauges .that in my book was a sleezy move .i come from the old school a simple handshake will do or your word .if you dont have that your worthless .if this was to be an auction why not list on ebay .just my 2 cents

greencard 12-17-2010 05:42 PM

just boat parts

I too have swapped etc on swap shop, my favotirte section of this board, but REALLY its just boat parts. Sometimes you get a break and sometimes you get ripped. I just cant understand guys with thousand dollar boats upset over hundred dollar parts. As with everything it is not yours until you have PAID!!!! Happy Boating:drink: