Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Santa came early = better boat pictures! >

Santa came early = better boat pictures!

Notices

Santa came early = better boat pictures!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Nice!

What camera body and lens?
That camera I posted.....the Nikon D7000, but I got an adapter yesterday to connect it to my Meade ETX-125AT telecope. Tonoght it is supposed to be a full moon.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
That camera I posted.....the Nikon D7000, but I got an adapter yesterday to connect it to my Meade ETX-125AT telecope. Tonoght it is supposed to be a full moon.
now that is cool, can you get a pic of the camera mounted to the meade . I was about to ask you how you got that great moon shot with just a 200 mm lens .
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The focal length on that scope is 1900mm (74.8"), with an aperture of 127mm (5.0"), great shot. Like Mike asked, can you post the pic of the adapter and the make/model?

Originally Posted by mikes280
now that is cool, can you get a pic of the camera mounted to the meade . I was about to ask you how you got that great moon shot with just a 200 mm lens .
Thats exactly why I asked. I knew he had some big glass to get that much detail.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikes280
It's two parts.....

64-T Adapter HERE

Nikon T-Mount
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

The moon moves faster than you think!!!! It takes up about the whole screen on that telescope, but without tracking the moon......it is gone from the screen view in less than a minute!

I know I can get it sharper too. I used the self timer, and I'm sure it was still shaking a little bit when it took the pick. I didn't have my remote control with me.

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 01-18-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Registered

Full moon tonight baby! Can't even fit the whole moon in the frame!

This is why we use photoshop.

1) Original pic untouched
2) Second one sharpened "once" and contrast increased in CS2
3) Blue moon

I see some crazy hits that the moon has taken for us! There is no atmosphere to burn off an asteroid before it hit so they completely slam into the moon WOT! On the one about 5:00……..looks like debris flies for almost 1000 miles!
Attached Thumbnails Santa came early = better boat pictures!-moon-2011-01-18-full-no-mod.jpg   Santa came early = better boat pictures!-moon-2011-01-18-full-sharpen-more-contrast.jpg   Santa came early = better boat pictures!-moon-2011-01-18-full-blue.jpg  

Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info the pics are great, it took me many shots just to learn how to shoot the moon, and you are right it moves fast.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

The moon moves faster than you think!!!! It takes up about the whole screen on that telescope, but without tracking the moon......it is gone from the screen view in less than a minute!

I know I can get it sharper too. I used the self timer, and I'm sure it was still shaking a little bit when it took the pick. I didn't have my remote control with me.
Long range, baybee!! Cool stuff, Nort.
Here's the image filtered for 'clarity'... you got all of it, bro.

ORIGINAL SIZE

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayboat
Long range, baybee!! Cool stuff, Nort.
Here's the image filtered for 'clarity'... you got all of it, bro.

ORIGINAL SIZE

Jay......looks great! What did you use for this enhancement?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nort,

I also did an edit of your Moon. I would have used your original, but the file was too small to work with. Thus, here is an enhancement of your Edit.

For some reason, my account is restricted to no larger than 800 pixels, so to see the full size, I have also attached it.

Enhancement wise, I pulled the image into CS5, and applied Levels, Curves, Shadow/ Highlights, then used a small radius of HDR Toning Curves, and finished with a light amount of Un-Sharp Mask.

BTW, Great Capture. Though to solve your framing issue, I would suggest renting or borrowing a Full Frame Camera, and taking a series of shot's of a Full Moon. The 1.5 Crop/ Magnification factor on your D7000, may be causing you to be a bit too tight on the moon. With regard to Moonscapes from a photographic standpoint, I would suggest taking a shot of the moon at 3/4 or 1/2 Phases.

Have a good evening.
Attached Thumbnails Santa came early = better boat pictures!-nort-moon.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.