Notices

Forgot to winterize

Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cabin fever
That sucks. It takes about 2 min to winter the 496. I did a buddies a few weeks ago and it was just in the nick of time. Water was slushy, when I drained it. That was shortly after Thanksgiving.

I keep mine in heated storage, and still drain the water from everything. I'd be heading over there tonight, and checking it out.

Is the 32 that just arrived this summer?

sorry to hear that.
No this is on a 27. You have probably seen it around, real flashy paint (yellow, blue, red). He's had it since 06' and never winterized it, but before it was in a heated shop. Crazy thing is it still has original oil in it!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by bms26
He's had it since 06' and never winterized it, but before it was in a heated shop. Crazy thing is it still has original oil in it!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

He's had it since 06' and never winterized it. Crazy thing is it still has original oil in it!
Sounds well maintained...... At least it has a flashy paint job.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered

doesn't sound like he deserves a good running boat!! if he can't fricken change oil???
Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

He's had it since 06' and never winterized it, but before it was in a heated shop. Crazy thing is it still has original oil in it!
Wow... well at least it's going to get some maintenance now!

Sorry, but it doesn't really sound like he "forgot" to winterize it if he's never had the oil changed in 4 YEARS!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wooderson
Sorry, but it doesn't really sound like he "forgot" to winterize it if he's never had the oil changed in 4 YEARS!
Agreed!

Past weeks here in Iowa the motor had no chance in a metal building without winterization.
Sounds like the only thing he will be flashing around is Dollar Bills for repairs this spring.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

Call your insurance company. When I was spinning wrenches at a shop in Ohio I replaced three 350's one Spring due to improper or un-winterized engines.
Two were covered under the owners insurance policy
Called my State Farm agent and asked if he covered stupidity and he said yes
I had twin inboard cruisers for several seasons up north and did all my own work but heard everyone else's stories. Inside, heated storage and a blizzard takes out power. Now what?
Had 318 Chrysler's in the cruisers and would always just drain everything. Didn't know at the time that they were known to trap water in rear of block. Knowledgeable marina's knew this and stored those boats bow down so the blocks would drain. Mine knew but as I was a smart ass (doing my own work) they didn't tell me Had the boat sold the following Spring and when I fired the motors the 1st time they both blew water out of the bell housings!!! Luckily it just popped the freeze plugs. Turns out my marina made their money off me anyhow.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wooderson
Wow... well at least it's going to get some maintenance now!

"Forgot" sounded better than ignored...
Old 12-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

1) Pumping the air out of the 496HO is not good enough for a full winterization: especially in those temps. There are dozens of posts on this in the past. The air pressure system is designed to extend your boating season. RTFM. The air pressure system will still leave pockets of water in the system; and that's if it's working right. The actuators go bad.

2) The most vulnerable part of the 496HO system is the heat exchanger. It's very thin inside and one tiny crack compromises everything. If you try and do anything with it now, you are likely to push water into the antifreeze system and then also destroy the block.

Wait until spring, and pull the whole thing apart and pressure check each component; especially the heat exchanger. However, it's almost definitely toast, er rather swiss cheese.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-18-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered

That BS drain system is the 2nd worst thing they did when putting that engine together.

There's so much bad info and bad advise regarding maintenance on this engine.

Last edited by SDFever; 12-18-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.