If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    McHenry, Illinois
    I had transmissions, converted to crash boxes after blowing transmissions and have since switched back. I could not see any performance difference but have been told crash boxes are a few mph faster. The docking with crash boxes was a bit tricky but I never had an issue. I just wanted the boat to be more user friendly.
    I now have Ateco rebuild my transmissions once a year and have not lost one yet.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Steve 1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Slippery when wet!
    Beautiful Fort Lauderdale
    Quote Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
    Steve 1 - very astute remark

If it makes enough heat to need the oil cooled it's taken some Hp to make that heat - the more cooling the more Hp - good analogy!

Sir yes Thank you.
    Slippery when wet. "POD" Free Tunnel through Common Sense Engineering

Gold Member Gold Member h2oboater's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1973 Donzi X-18 1975 Donzi Doral 1973 Magnum Sport 1973 Sedan Magnum & SMIDGEN Too 1975 24' Cobra
    NewBaltimore Mi
    Quote Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown View Post
    I can't see that being the case. To the best of my knowledge a trans usually only eats about 35Hp. Boat transmissions are pretty basic, especially compared to automotive transmissions with multiple gears. You really think a Corvette or Mustang stick has an extra 100hp over an automatic?

Everything I've seen and know suggest that it's only about a 25-35 hp loss to run a transmission A crashbox is going to eat something, but given that the total loss is 25-35 the difference in Hp loss is going to be minimal.
    Back in the early 90's APBA changed the rules for D class. We had to switch out our crash boxes to transmissions. [Huber] In testing at Lake X we found we lost nothing in speed with the Eastern Express Skater.

Offshoreonly Advertiser Offshoreonly Advertiser Mbam's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1972 Cigarette 36 race
    Pompano Beach FL, USA
    We measure the loss on evey one we build

Measured at 5000 RPM, our standard is 12-14 ft lbs, our dry sump is 8-10 ft lbs. A stock velvet drive is 15-20

And a crash box is about 2 ft lbs. So the percentage differance is large, but it is still a pretty small number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12