Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   $150k budget... What to buy??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/244389-%24150k-budget-what-buy.html)

wjb21ndtown 12-23-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot (Post 3281513)
I might as well throw in my 2ct's worth. First off you do not have a truck, it's an SUV. You will absolutely need a real truck. Over 32' I would go as far as say at least a 1 ton and possibly a dually if you ever plan on any long tows. Going from a 21' single to a 30' twin is a learning curve in itself, bigger than that, the bigger the curve. Stay away from any engine packages that are not stock, the 525's are a great choice and suggestion. Last thing you want while learning how to handle a twin and your new speed and power is having to think about engines. Survey is a must and your new ins. carrier will most likely require it. While I'm on ins. might as well talk about a cat. Probly won't even find an ins. carrier that will take you on as new without spending $6K a season. Then there's that learning curve. Worlds difference to a "V" hull. I would suggest riding in a cat before you even consider one. You may not like it at all. I would suggest that you find something around 30-32" for your next boat, 525's will give you the speeds your looking for 80+. Learn to handle a twin, stay with a "V". You can bank half of your $150K and stick with your SUV for towing. Go into this gradually then step up again if it's still not enough for your needs. Like I said it's only my 2ct's.

I agree 100%

FuelinAround 12-23-2010 12:19 PM

I never thought we wold want more when I bought my 31 sonic but now I realize I need a little more power to get speed on waves, and a generator and a/c to cool off someone who has sipped one to many. It's hard to go wrong with a fully loaded but IMO. I absolutely want a toilet in every boat I own (don't mind peeing in the water but ****tin and trying to swim away from it sucks) and the A/C and generator aren;t needed a ton but it's a TOY we aren't talking about needs were talking about wants. What I'm trying to boil down is make sure you buy something with everything you want. Cat's are great but virtually no cabin. I also don't like sitting down I like stand up bolsters. There are 1000 different equations you need to be thinking of.

302Sport 12-23-2010 12:27 PM

With a sit down boat you are also limited to the number of seats in the boat. With a stand up you can just keep packing them in. Ive had 10 in my Powerplay before.

LAriverratt 12-23-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 302Sport (Post 3281613)
With a sit down boat you are also limited to the number of seats in the boat. With a stand up you can just keep packing them in. Ive had 10 in my Powerplay before.

:eek: well I've had 9 in my dominator...toooooooo many foa shoa!!!:lolhit:

4mulafastech 12-23-2010 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by FuelinAround (Post 3281604)
I absolutely want a toilet in every boat I own (don't mind peeing in the water but ****tin and trying to swim away from it sucks)

lol! I think we have another post of the year nomination.:drink:

From earlier posts... The Tres performance driving school recommendation is great advice. I recommend you and the gf visit a couple boat shows and spend some time in several makes and models to get a feel. We did, and our Formula just 'felt' right compared to some other models.

dkwestern 12-23-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 302Sport (Post 3281544)
these two boats do it all. AC, generator, 80mph, big cockpit.........no offense to you cig guys but the 37AT is just as fast as a TG, has a bigger cockpit, and a much more usable cabin. The new cabins on the cigs mind as well be a bare storage compartment.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...7-AVH-97740338

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...xcess-96761881

+1

kreed 12-23-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dkwestern (Post 3281642)
+1

+2 , and cheaper than same year Guns. These are nice boats.

kreed 12-23-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelinAround
I absolutely want a toilet in every boat I own (don't mind peeing in the water but ****tin and trying to swim away from it sucks)

lol! I think we have another post of the year nomination.

Hahahahaha !!!!LMFAO!!!!!

COOL CROSSBOW 12-28-2010 11:43 PM

Dang Its only been two days and there is 11 pages of yall trying to spend this guys money. Its been nice though, ive seen some nice boats in the classifieds.

And on the trying to swim away from a floter. Dont be laughing, Yall know yall have tryed it.

LAriverratt 12-29-2010 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by COOL CROSSBOW (Post 3284769)
Dang Its only been two days and there is 11 pages of yall trying to spend this guys money. Its been nice though, ive seen some nice boats in the classifieds.

And on the trying to swim away from a floter. Dont be laughing, Yall know yall have tryed it.

a buddy of mine said you have to dive and unload, :lolhit: don't come up in wrong spot or you just might hit your head on a log:grinser010::lolhit:
we all like spending other peoples money.... you guys helped me spend mine last year!!!:drink: