$150k budget... What to buy??? >

$150k budget... What to buy???

Notices

$150k budget... What to buy???

Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
True....but maintaining a 38-42 12,000 lb w/Bravos??
If I were spending 150K it would be on a #6 boat no doubt. I have also been around enough to know what that costs on annual basis.

Don't think you are going to buy a #6 boat and the power it takes to run it and think that you are just going to put gas in it and change the oil is all that I am saying.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My choice cig 38ts or a 38 zr donzi,the cig is top quality and will always have a good re-sale value and the boat will last a long time,in the same price range you could get a staggered 38 zr donzi not quite up to cig quality but also a great boat that will stay together and have a good resale,the above boat is a great boat that the owner wants to move got his new nortech and wants it gone
Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35948-en.html

This is one SWEET unit for the price

6 years in storage on an '04 with brand new 0 hours 500 EFI's from Shogren should certainly qualify for a limited engine warranty from Mercruiser. IMO, it's as close to a brand new boat as you'll get.
If had 120k I'd be running red lights to get to his place before another buyer jumped on it!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
True....but maintaining a 38-42 12,000 lb w/Bravos??
I only had to redo my xr's after 475 hours, only had one issue. I have a 10K 42 tiger w/ 500's and xr's. buying the boat is the easy part, its the upkeep, that being said a 575 and xr pkg like the topgun is the way to go. speed, reliability and easy to work on as well as resale. bought right, that's a winning combo.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

It depends how/where this guy is going to use the boat. Rough(3-5 ft) he will do Bravo damage if hes a madman or cant use the sticks..... Or calm(1-3 ft), Bravos will be fine. What type of water are you boating in and how do you drive a boat? IMO, if you respect your boat and its equipment, Bravos will last. Mine did. Sonic a few posts above is a great first 38 footer. Top Gun is a great choice too. Twin step 575 boat, prolly not a beginner boat......Ahh, funk it! Go for it!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by huskyrider
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35948-en.html

This is one SWEET unit for the price

6 years in storage on an '04 with brand new 0 hours 500 EFI's from Shogren should certainly qualify for a limited engine warranty from Mercruiser. IMO, it's as close to a brand new boat as you'll get.
If had 120k I'd be running red lights to get to his place before another buyer jumped on it!!!

See ya,
Kelly
The more I look at this boat the more I grin and say wow!!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered

Thanks again for all the input... I'll weigh in on a few more things.

Z06, why would I rethink this and why wouldn't I seek advice from this forum? Sure, you have to sift through a lot, but I think it would be crazy not to see what others, experienced with the exact type of boat I'm interested in buying, would have to say on the issue. I can easily get all the stats from boating magazines and read what testers have to say about boats they rode around in for a couple hours, but wouldn't you want to hear what people who've owned the boats and laid out cash have to say?? Do you suggest I "rethink" things and just go speak with some salesmen at various brokers and take their word as gospel? Oh, wait, if you're suggesting that as well as suggesting I not pay attention to what's being said in threads, maybe I'll take the second part of that advice and ignore your post. Whew, I just had a bit of a rant there!

Second thing... I would love love love to live in an area where you can buy waterfront property for $150k. Unfortunately, where I live you aint getting on the water for under $1.5 million... Fortunately though, we have an acreage on the water 70 miles by boat from the launch (another reason for the purchase).

Thirdly... I didn't just win a $150k lottery, so I'm not mortgaging my future by buying a toy. I have an all cash toy budget (no debt), so while the thought in providing financial advice is appreciated, it isn't necessary (buying property vs a boat).

Lastly... I am interested in what people have to say about a Vee vs a Cat, what operating costs are, what set-ups are most reliable and what type of exotic engines may cost many thousands more per year to maintain. Insurance issues are something I haven't considered yet either (how increased performance may significantly increase costs). This is exactly why I posted and why I'm appreciative of many of the helpful responses.

P.S. Although I boat mostly in the ocean, it's not open ocean, so I never have to pick and choose when to go out (all I need is sunshine). Worst I've seen when some bad wind picked up was 4 or maybe 5 foot chop and there's always somewhere to duck into for protection.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good luck with your search ,sounds like a fun summer ahead!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrewiswerD
Time to upgrade, and hopefully this crappy economy will get me a great boat! I've been pouring over the classifieds and am starting to get dizzy trying to decide what to get.

I have a 21.5 foot Baja Boss Hammer w/ a 454 that is a fun little thing. While running it a modest 65 mph and launching it over chop is loads of fun for me in a small boat, more than once I've stopped with a huge grin on my face and looked over to my girlfriend expecting the same satisfied smirk, only to see tears rolling down her face 'cause her girl parts got bounced all about.

So here are the main factors going into my decision.

-2003 or newer
-Quality is of utmost importance (I'd take an '03 from a better manufacturer than let's say an '08 of a lesser builder)
-over 30 feet
-cuddy or open bow
-capable of 80+ mph and be able to handle speed without passengers feeling like they are getting beaten with a stick (you're welcome Julie)
-$150k budget (not sure how much wiggle room people have these days... If they're asking $175 or $200k would they take $150k on an all cash no hassle deal?)
-My usage isn't just going from A to B really really fast... It's going from A to B, partying all day with friends out on the water then going back to A.
-I would be using it in fresh and salt water (more in the ocean).
-My house is less than 10 minutes from a launch so it would be kept on a trailer

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Hands down best bang for the buck American Offshore 3100.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewiswerD
Thanks again for all the input... I'll weigh in on a few more things.

Z06, why would I rethink this and why wouldn't I seek advice from this forum? Sure, you have to sift through a lot, but I think it would be crazy not to see what others, experienced with the exact type of boat I'm interested in buying, would have to say on the issue. I can easily get all the stats from boating magazines and read what testers have to say about boats they rode around in for a couple hours, but wouldn't you want to hear what people who've owned the boats and laid out cash have to say?? Do you suggest I "rethink" things and just go speak with some salesmen at various brokers and take their word as gospel? Oh, wait, if you're suggesting that as well as suggesting I not pay attention to what's being said in threads, maybe I'll take the second part of that advice and ignore your post. Whew, I just had a bit of a rant there!

Second thing... I would love love love to live in an area where you can buy waterfront property for $150k. Unfortunately, where I live you aint getting on the water for under $1.5 million... Fortunately though, we have an acreage on the water 70 miles by boat from the launch (another reason for the purchase).

Thirdly... I didn't just win a $150k lottery, so I'm not mortgaging my future by buying a toy. I have an all cash toy budget (no debt), so while the thought in providing financial advice is appreciated, it isn't necessary (buying property vs a boat).

Lastly... I am interested in what people have to say about a Vee vs a Cat, what operating costs are, what set-ups are most reliable and what type of exotic engines may cost many thousands more per year to maintain. Insurance issues are something I haven't considered yet either (how increased performance may significantly increase costs). This is exactly why I posted and why I'm appreciative of many of the helpful responses.

P.S. Although I boat mostly in the ocean, it's not open ocean, so I never have to pick and choose when to go out (all I need is sunshine). Worst I've seen when some bad wind picked up was 4 or maybe 5 foot chop and there's always somewhere to duck into for protection.
Good post, i guess other than everyone throwing out opinions, be more specific in what you want and what you have in your mind as a vision of yourself in and then people can comment then.

V's and cats are different, for the 150 range, cats will tend to be on the shorter side with less/if any amenities. if you don't have cat experience insurance will be expensive maybe 2-4 times more expensive than a V. For a cat width and trailering is a concern as well, although you live close, it could be over width and cause an issue.

post away with thoughts. if 150 is the top of your budget i would look at boats that are 125ish and make offers from there, give yourself some extra room whereas that one with a couple hundred hours that may need a refresh to be perfect. happy hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.