Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   496 HO Procharger: Need Help? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/244413-496-ho-procharger-need-help.html)

05RINKER 12-22-2010 09:41 AM

496 HO Procharger: Need Help?

I have a 2005 496 HO with a Procharger running 5psi., the engine has been totally fortified with forged pistons ect. and has a pcm from AZ Speed and Marine. It is running lean of course, and needs the fuel sustem upgraded. Does anyone have experience with this, and if so, what fuel system do I use? Do you bypass the stock cold fuel pack? Details would be greatly appricated, thanks for your time, Frank

Knot 4 Me 12-22-2010 12:09 PM

I would start by ditching the AZ S&M PCM. Do a search on them.

05RINKER 12-22-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3280845)
I would start by ditching the AZ S&M PCM. Do a search on them.

That maybe the case in the future, but for now, I need to see about feedind it enough fuel!

29 sst 12-22-2010 03:19 PM

Just get the right tune done and you wont have to worry about anything. Even if you get someone to change the duty cycle on the injectors that should help

FogduckerIII 12-22-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff P31 (Post 3281053)
Do not ask for help if you do not really want it . The man is trying to tell you where the problem is. :eek:

I believe he was asking about the fuel system..?? The PCM might be an issue but if it is running lean perhaps fuel delivery might be the main issue?

I have an Automarine fuel pump with fuel regulator for my Procharger set-up.....I think 35psi at idle and about 55psi at 5lbs boost is the target...?

DCB F32 12-22-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff P31 (Post 3281053)
Do not ask for help if you do not really want it . The man is trying to tell you where the problem is. :eek:

ASM can't program a PCM 555 computer. So unless you put an MEFi 4 on your 496HO you don't have a reprogrammed computer.

Listen to the advice you asked for.:lolhit:

05RINKER 12-23-2010 06:53 AM

Thanks guys for your opinion, I finally found someone here in Kansas City at MC Racing that can help, I'll keep ya posted!!

Keith Atlanta 12-23-2010 08:03 AM

Increase the fuel pressure. There is a fuel regulator on top of the manifold next to the pcm - you need a #10 safety torx. You can hook a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail right next to the anti freeze expansion tank with the key on and the vacuum hose off. Check with Procharger they will tell you precisely what the fuel pressure should be. The right way is to get an A/F Meter and have a bung welded into your exhaust.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 12-23-2010 04:04 PM

That is true, if the regulator is not adjusted properly that it can give you grief.

The Ati regulators usually were able to be modified a little bit with their shim kit for an extra little fine tune. But there are still other regulators out there.

However beyond that if you max out your injectors, regardless of how much pressure you have you can end up lean. Also pressure alone is not always adequate, you need adequate flow & proper pulse width on the injector.

So to cure his problem he may be looking at the need for a proper ecm cal, a new regulator, new larger flow fuel pump and larger lines depending on what is currently in there..

Beyond that from a tuning and monitoring perspective an o2 would be helpful.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside