If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Diamond Member #001 Charter Member C_Spray's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
    Coastal North Carolina

32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!

Our company's relationship with our major sponsor (Marlboro) has come to an end after 20 years. As a result, all of the assets of the subsidiary company that I have been running for Penske Racing (Racing Experience, Inc.) are being moved to the main shop in Mooresville, North Carolina. Unfortunately, we have also had to lay off the entire staff. In my case, I have elected to accept a severance package and continue my involvement with Penske Racing as a part-time contractor for a small program to be run by Racing Experience, Inc. in 2011.

This brings to an end more than 32 years of full-time employment with Roger Penske and Penske Racing. In that time, I have served in every capacity from truck driver and assistant mechanic to Vice President. I have done every job in the place, from sweeping the floors to pit stops to building cars to running the company. I have been part of over 80 Indy Car race wins, countless Pole positions, 8 Indianapolis 500 wins and 4 CART National Championships. I have worked with Mario Andretti, Bobby Unser, Rick Mears, Al Unser, Emerson Fittipaldi, Al Unser Jr, Kevin Cogan, Bill Alsup, Andre Ribiero, Paul Tracy, Scott Sharp, and even an unforgettable guest appearance by Ayrton Senna. All of these guys were incredible athletes and consummate professionals, but it was the guys on the team who really blew me away over the years. The mechanics, support members and engineers collectively were the most amazing group of people that I have ever met. Their dedication, skills, intelligence and perseverance in the face of situations that the rest of us would consider to be insurmountable or even frightening was something to see. Many of these people remain lifelong friends to this day, and I carry and undying respect for all of them. Short of war, there not many endeavors that push people to their limits like motor racing, particularly in the CART era from the late 70's through the late 90's. I am so lucky to have been able to experience these events and these people. What a great ride.

It's a strange feeling to realize that my time is largely my own now. With all the travelling, commitments, responsibilities and planning duties that I've carried with me every day for so long, I have to get used to enjoying time for myself now. I certainly don't regret my decision, but I have no doubt that it will take some time to adapt. I can tell you all this much right now, though: You're going to see A LOT MORE of me on the water in the future.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired! Boating full-time now.

My Boats:
    Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
    Bell Canyon, CA
    Way to go Chuck and congrats! You must be very old.

OSO Moderator Charter Member SpeedGirl's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Avanti & Formula 280SS
    New York
    Congrats!! Now you can live like Bob the Builder and enjoy your life to the fullest!!
    You are judged by the company you keep!

Easily Distracted Platinum Member Racegirl3's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Boat Btch
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Enjoy your retirement. More time for the boat now
    Bad Girls Make Good Company

VIP Member VIP Member OldSchool's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently
    Congrats to you my friend!!!

One question... and this may be hard one to answer after being a part of so much excitement for so many years...

Is there one moment that stands out above all others in your career?

Hoping to see more of you and Diane on the water this upcoming season!!!

I can't talk about it right now, it's being handled by the Postal Inspector. Those guys don't mess around!

My Boats:
    1985 22' Velocity, 2003 38 Powerplay
    East Coast
    Congrats Chuck!

Charter Member Charter Member Dean Ferry's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
    Merritt Is. Fl. USA
    I have a good friend that started out at Ilmore, and now works for Andretti Racing, he LOVES his job!

Everything is for sale @ a certain $$

VIP Member VIP Member offshoredrillin's Avatar
    My Boats:
    00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
    Congrats Chuck! you have time to clean the garage ...Dave and I will be up for margaritas in the spring... and John will still be there too.

Offshoreonly Advertiser Offshoreonly Advertiser
    My Boats:
    spring valley,ny usa

Your Next Career !

I think that you should hook up with REGGIE.I can foresee an unbeatable racing organization with both of your credentials.

congrats...does this mean they are closing all the facilities in Reading?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast