Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Random Thoughts on Triple Engine Boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/244482-random-thoughts-triple-engine-boats.html)

glassdave 12-23-2010 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3281722)
We have triples on a 48'er Sunseeker with 502MAG's and bravo drives. Never had a drive failure but tons of engine issues.....and I dont' think it's the boat's fault even though it is over 19,000lbs. I've had a engine issue and had to run on two and can still get up on plane. :) It's been proven a few times!

Since June we have been rebuilding all three drives, all three motors, bottom paint and next is a dash/electronics redo before spring. Somebody will get a nice boat next year! :D

I would image that that the center of gravity (COG) would be affected quite a bit if you removed an engine.

I am sure it would be affected, just may not be negativly. Didnt they made the 45 Sonic as well as 50 Outerlimits in primarily triples till they opted in favor of twins? I think it would also depend if it is a large displacment performance boat (like yours) or say a 47 Fountain lightning

BBB725 12-23-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 88Fount33 (Post 3281536)
What is your opinion of taking a triple engine boat and removing the center engine and driveline and reglassing the hole in the transom.

If the tripples gave a top end of 75, would the twin version (with new props) reach 60? Leaving the remaining two engines exactly where they are in the back of the boat.

I fully understand that to do this properly, you would want to remove all three, reglass the transom, and then install higher HP twins on close stagger. But, if you could get a tripple at the right price, you would also result in a spare engine and drive as part of the deal.

Been there done that, had a triple 37 OL ran about 110 with triple N/A 700hp, removed center motor and added blowers to the two remaining 950hp and ran about the same speed the only thing I did was add a 1" spacer to the drives, boat felt the same as my buddys 37 with twins. Long story short, don't do it.

animalhouse 12-23-2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3281819)
I am sure it would be affected, just may not be negativly. Didnt they made the 45 Sonic as well as 50 Outerlimits in primarily triples till they opted in favor of twins? I think it would also depend if it is a large displacment performance boat (like yours) or say a 47 Fountain lightning

I can't speak for the sonic but the 51 Ol if it's twin is full stagger, if you left the rear motors side by side the cg would be way aft

monstaaa 12-24-2010 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3281722)
We have triples on a 48'er Sunseeker with 502MAG's and bravo drives. Never had a drive failure but tons of engine issues.....and I dont' think it's the boat's fault even though it is over 19,000lbs. I've had a engine issue and had to run on two and can still get up on plane. :) It's been proven a few times!

Since June we have been rebuilding all three drives, all three motors, bottom paint and next is a dash/electronics redo before spring. Somebody will get a nice boat next year! :D

I would image that that the center of gravity (COG) would be affected quite a bit if you removed an engine.

if thats a superhawm
k, slam some yanmars in there and bravo 3's. never engine issues again and massive fuel savings.