If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    Team Baja's 38 Poker Run Special
    The Woodlands, TX

blistering and gel coat cracks

I'm curious as to if this should be considered a deal breaker on a potential boat purchase due to a possible high bill for the repair service.
    The seller is well over 1000 miles from me so I can't see it until he takes close up pic's for me tomorrow morning.
    I've never had FG work done for me before and am clueless, I'm open to all advice. Thanks

See ya,

Platinum Member Platinum Member Steve 1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Slippery when wet!
    Beautiful Fort Lauderdale
    Let us see the picture when you get it.
    Slippery when wet. "POD" Free Tunnel through Common Sense Engineering

Charter Member # 55 Charter Member Griff's Avatar
    My Boats:
    ..........32........... Active Thunder
    It really depends on how bad it is and how much it would cost to get repaired correctly. It could be 2k or it could be 8k or more. If its blistered bad, it could have moisture in the hull. Get a survey.

Neno the mind boggler VIP Member glassdave's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
    toledo oh
    what kinda boat?
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
    08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
    08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
    08 OPA High Points Champion
    10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

My Boats:
    1995 Baja Outlaw SST 454 Mag
    Ontario Canada
    IMO once you get blisters, you can repair them all you want but they keep comming back. Most places that repair blisters Guarantee thier work, but when you bring the boat back with blisters a year or two later they just tell you they are new ones and the old repair is still good. On the other hand if you can stand to look at them then don't worry about it. They are expensive to repair aswell and your boat will be laid up for some time to get a so called good job done. I would never buy a boat with blisters unless the price was an absolute steal and I could live with the blisters. Been there done that!!! Do a search on the net, theres tons of info out there...might just make you run fast from that deal!!!
    Last edited by Z06 FAN; 12-24-2010 at 01:50 PM.