Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Raylar 496 Upgrade Kits (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/244630-raylar-496-upgrade-kits.html)

Escape Velocity 12-28-2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevo2735 (Post 3284301)
On the Raylar 106 Kit did you do the work yourself or have a professional install? How much did installation run you? I have a "07 Formula 370SS with 2 496 motors so I have double the costs on everything. Thanks.

I had a professional engine builder disassemble, machine, and reassemble the long block with new forged pistons and H-beam rods. I re-wired the wiring harness because I relocated the coils below the exhaust, and I also upgraded and re-plumbed the fuel system with an Aeromotive pump and pressure regulator. There was a strong partnership with the dealer, engine builder and myself to complete this project, so it would be difficult to quantify how much I spent that would translate into what it would cost you. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

verbi69 12-28-2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3284380)
Your description of what you did wrong makes no sense to me. By "little blue butterflies" are you referencing the blue plastic drain plugs? Those would need to be installed if they were removed during winterization. Or are you referring to the little green nipples near the Schrader valve where you pressurize the drain system? If those were popped out, indicating the system was still pressurized (I've never seen one hold pressure for very long) then you would have needed to pull up on the ring to release the pressure. Otherwise the water coming in would run out the drains.

You are correct, I was refering to the plastic drain plugs. They were in place after the engine was winterized.
When I put the boat in the water the very first time after bying the boat, I simply turned the key and fired the boat up.
Snooped around the engine checking for leaks, found none, after a minute or two climbed out of the boat and went to my truck...by the time I got back the high temp alarm was ringing and what seemed like seconds after a lot of white smoke.

I checked around and found that none of the raw water hoses had pressure in them...

stirling 12-29-2010 12:27 AM

It still don,t understand why your engine went broke /overheat ,if your raw water hoses didn,t build pressure you must been have a impeller faillure ? all has nothing to do with the blue water bleeders if they were in place ,and you had no water leaks ...

verbi69 12-29-2010 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by stirling (Post 3284775)
It still don,t understand why your engine went broke /overheat ,if your raw water hoses didn,t build pressure you must been have a impeller faillure ? all has nothing to do with the blue water bleeders if they were in place ,and you had no water leaks ...

Maybe the impeller was stuck??

Dunno.

Either way Raylar was not responsible for my engine issues.

The kit makes great power and delivers the performance.

Mike.

Baja_man 12-29-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by verbi69 (Post 3284951)
The kit makes great power and delivers the performance.

Mike.

9 MPH gain is great!!

Knot 4 Me 12-29-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by verbi69 (Post 3284728)
You are correct, I was refering to the plastic drain plugs. They were in place after the engine was winterized.
When I put the boat in the water the very first time after bying the boat, I simply turned the key and fired the boat up.
Snooped around the engine checking for leaks, found none, after a minute or two climbed out of the boat and went to my truck...by the time I got back the high temp alarm was ringing and what seemed like seconds after a lot of white smoke.

I checked around and found that none of the raw water hoses had pressure in them...

You would indeed want those plugs back in place when starting the boat the next spring after winterization. My guess would be you fried an impellor on startup. It happens.

Indy 12-29-2010 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3284993)
You would indeed want those plugs back in place when starting the boat the next spring after winterization. My guess would be you fried an impellor on startup. It happens.

This is my guess too.