Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
MPH slow - what should I be doing? >

MPH slow - what should I be doing?

Notices

MPH slow - what should I be doing?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPH slow - what should I be doing?

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 34' Scarab - Aussie version made under licence by Fastlane. Same hull as Wellcrafts, although I suspect it's heavier.

It's powered by twin Mercruiser Magnum 350's - later vorect headed models. I've just replaced the fuel system with Mallory pumps, fitted air gap Performer RPM style vortec intake manifolds, and had the carbs (holley 4150's 650cfm) rebuilt. The boat uses Alpha drives.

WOT I'm doing 40 mph. Engines are revving at about 3400 rpms. I've checked I'm getting full throttle.

My next step is to read some numbers off the Props. They're Mercury Mirage Plus, but I don't know the specs yet.

The hull is painted with anti-foul as the boat lives in salt water. The drives and props are clean.

What MPH should I be doing with these power plants in this boat? I assume I should be aiming for around 5000 rpm at WOT / Top speed via a prop change ?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Craig
------------------------
1990 Scarab 34
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Start playing around with props it sounds like. You may loose a couple MPH with the paint but when you leave it in the water you need it. Find out what pitch you are running but I would guess you want to be in the 21 range.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by earlysport
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 34' Scarab - Aussie version made under licence by Fastlane. Same hull as Wellcrafts, although I suspect it's heavier.

It's powered by twin Mercruiser Magnum 350's - later vorect headed models. I've just replaced the fuel system with Mallory pumps, fitted air gap Performer RPM style vortec intake manifolds, and had the carbs (holley 4150's 650cfm) rebuilt. The boat uses Alpha drives.

WOT I'm doing 40 mph. Engines are revving at about 3400 rpms. I've checked I'm getting full throttle.

My next step is to read some numbers off the Props. They're Mercury Mirage Plus, but I don't know the specs yet.

The hull is painted with anti-foul as the boat lives in salt water. The drives and props are clean.

What MPH should I be doing with these power plants in this boat? I assume I should be aiming for around 5000 rpm at WOT / Top speed via a prop change ?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Craig
------------------------
1990 Scarab 34
Hi Craig,
Are you sure that you have the timing set correctly on the engines? I would put a light on them and run the rpm up in neutral and check your total advance, should be 32 to 36 degrees, if the timing is retarded it won't rev.

Also check prop pitch as discussed. I am quite sure that your engines are rated at 4800-5200rpm per Mercruiser specs.
Good luck on the project.
Dave
Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salt water with outdrives? Are they gunked up with growth inside?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Start playing around with props it sounds like. You may loose a couple MPH with the paint but when you leave it in the water you need it. Find out what pitch you are running but I would guess you want to be in the 21 range.
x2 - try starting at 14 3/4 x 21 prop
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I have checked the timing at idle and set both engines to 8 BTDC. I will check at higher revs - I fitted timing tape to the balancers to make this straightforward. The engines run the factory mercruiser ignition module.

The drives are regularly cleaned to remove marine growth. I learned this the hard way as 3 months in the water saw a bunch of barnacles on there, and a 10+ MPH drop in speed. the subsequent cleaning saw the MPH come straight to where it is now. Not sure about the insides of the drives though! They were rebuilt less than 2 years ago however.

I'll post the prop numbers when I get them - maybe today.

I was hoping this engine / boat combo might be good for 55 or 60 MPH, but maybe I'm being ambitious.. (with it currently doing 40)

Cheers,

Craig
Old 12-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

If you are saying you have 300HP small blocks in you 34' Scarab and doing 40mph. Then I say you are doing the best that you can expect, you need more torque. I saw a 30' Scarab with small blocks and it didn't do more than 49mph. Sorry
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
I'd listen to Joe... He's a race winning, proven good guy!!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...yesterday.html

Also for some help on numbers I have used Marc's BAM pages for a long time to play around with numbers...

http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm

And this one...

http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR HOWEVER READ ALL THE TEXT AND UNDERSTAND IT OR ELSE IT WILL SEEM LIKE WITCHCRAFT...

But it works and helps a lot!

Hope this helps.

GL
Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Registered

Default My prop numbers

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Ok, I have the numbers off the props.

They are Mercruiser Mirage Plus 48 13700 19P, which I decode to be a 15 1/4" 19 pitch 3 blade.

Given I'm maxing at 3200-3400 rpm at WOT, what props do you recommend?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by earlysport
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I have checked the timing at idle and set both engines to 8 BTDC. I will check at higher revs - I fitted timing tape to the balancers to make this straightforward. The engines run the factory mercruiser ignition module.

The drives are regularly cleaned to remove marine growth. I learned this the hard way as 3 months in the water saw a bunch of barnacles on there, and a 10+ MPH drop in speed. the subsequent cleaning saw the MPH come straight to where it is now. Not sure about the insides of the drives though! They were rebuilt less than 2 years ago however.

I'll post the prop numbers when I get them - maybe today.

I was hoping this engine / boat combo might be good for 55 or 60 MPH, but maybe I'm being ambitious.. (with it currently doing 40)

Cheers,

Craig
I have the same boat with 454CI 365 Mags and it sees 58-60. Sorry to say but I agree with Rookie with that set up you may be at your limit, might get 45 playing with props but without big block torque you will never see 55-60 range. Its an eight thousand pound boat dry from Wellcraft. Do you have any previous owner info on the boat? If it has ever done better?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-27-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.