Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/244754-cat-vs-v-hull-danger-rating.html)

TahoeRick 01-09-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel (Post 3291817)
Great choice in first cat Rick. I have owned one for many years. I have to chime in. Someone said you air it out (Trim positive) when going straight and trim in to turn. THIS IS WRONG! You should absolutely invest in Tres course. Some things sound right but are not and can get you hurt. Stepped cats need the weight on the rear when turning so they need to be neutral to a little positive trim. When the weight shifts forward (by trimming in, negative) the weight shifts forward and you are more likely spin. When straight you should be the opposite (nuetral to a little negative) That being said, your warlock can be set at neutral trim and drive wonderfully all day. It leans out in the corners but you will get used to it. At speed you will find it turns much flatter. You need to learn to resist the urge to get out of the throttle when a big wave comes or you will launch it and can land on the transom (BAD) Tuck the drives in a little if its real big and stay in it or give it a little more. I cant speak highly enough of this hull. I think with your power at Tahoes elevation you are going to have to go mostly all out to get it to where this hull starts to feel really good (80+) Actually, the trickiest opporation I have found is real crossed up wakes at slow speeds especially when coming off plane and decelerating. The bow will go from packing air to not and will follow the waves. I know of a few boats that have taken nearly slow motion flips in these conditions. I dont know of anyone ever wrecking a 31sxt. They are very stable. Call me anytime 1-405-613-3457

The previous owner told me to keep the tabs at about a setting of "2 to 4" and the drives at about a "2". Of course, who knows what this boats tabs and drives are calibrated at. Still, on my one outing at Tahoe it worked very well. It was also very stable. You comments about taking slow motion flips is concerning... Perhaps I will call you! Also, the previous owner told me that he took jumps and landed on the back 3 foot trim tabs on purpose. He said that was the proper way to land the boat because they cushioned the landing and it just kept going.

Thanks for your advice!

Rick

TahoeRick 01-09-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 3287787)
I am not trying to be a d!ck here, but if you can't afford a safety course like this, you might be shocked at the insurance rates. Also, making the wrong move at "slow" speeds can cause a major incident. I have seen veteran racers flip boats at 1/2 the speed their boats are capable of. What happens to the guy with 1/10th of the experience in a similar situation.
There is no substitute for experience and also proper training from someone who knows what they are doing.

Excuse me, but a $4000 safety course? $2500 for the course and then add in travel from Florida to Nevada - and back, and lodging! I expected to have to pay for boat insurance, and more than any other boat I have owned. I just want to get an accredited boat course that is within reason. I do not plan of paying for someones Maui vacation to give me a 4- 8 hr boat course.

Rick

Mastercraft240 01-09-2011 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TahoeRick (Post 3292815)
Excuse me, but a $4000 safety course? $2500 for the course and then add in travel from Florida to Nevada - and back, and lodging! I expected to have to pay for boat insurance, and more than any other boat I have owned. I just want to get an accredited boat course that is within reason. I do not plan of paying for someones Maui vacation to give me a 4- 8 hr boat course.

Rick

Rick where are you getting this $4000 ?????? It's $2500 plus airfare/lodging-- and its no vacation. When brad came down he was driving a ford echo and staying in a very reasonable/cheap hotel room. Depending on how many people are in the class, you can be paying less than $150 his travel. 4-8 hours???? Dude, 8 hours is the first day ALONE. Thats just classes by the way. Another hour or so traveling to your boat and doing pre-checks on your boat to make sure your equipments ready. Sounds like your going about this all wrong. You cant trust the guys pre-sets, his driving skills and yours are completly different. Also, no accredited boating course is going to help better your driving skills. Jesus, even the Coast Guard hired the boat school to teach them!!!:lolhit::party-smiley-004:

bcschoe 01-12-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mastercraft240 (Post 3292871)
Rick where are you getting this $4000 ?????? It's $2500 plus airfare/lodging-- and its no vacation. When brad came down he was driving a ford echo and staying in a very reasonable/cheap hotel room. Depending on how many people are in the class, you can be paying less than $150 his travel. 4-8 hours???? Dude, 8 hours is the first day ALONE. Thats just classes by the way. Another hour or so traveling to your boat and doing pre-checks on your boat to make sure your equipments ready. Sounds like your going about this all wrong. You cant trust the guys pre-sets, his driving skills and yours are completly different. Also, no accredited boating course is going to help better your driving skills. Jesus, even the Coast Guard hired the boat school to teach them!!!:lolhit::party-smiley-004:

Jason,

You just spoiled my Rep. Fly Private, Exotic Rentals, and High End Hotels with your BLACK CARD!
BTW don’t forget to call me when you hit MiaLuaderdale This weekend we may be testing some fast cats. You get a ride if your here.

Reality is both Tres and I are very conscious of the additional costs and travel very economically. Even with the government’s money we keep it cheap.

In addition to the Coast Guard Training we are now doing work with the Navy Special Warfare Groups.

Tuition is based upon value and when measured is incredibly inexpensive as the experience lasts a life time and the product has repeatability based upon how often and dedicated you are at applying the skills learned.
Unlike a traditional product or service where the customer would repeat patronage for a good product, our measurement of success is the customer/student meets the minimum demonstrated performance and never returns, they take the service provided and use it for the rest of their life. Therefore the value of the boat school is incredible good and the cost based upon use is very low.

This is measureable not a opinion.

LAriverratt 01-12-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by TahoeRick (Post 3292815)

Rick

I took the course for the slower v's...I weighed it out too...trust me it's worth it!!!! If or when I move on to cats I will call them again... Like I said , hands down best money I ever spent on safety!!!!! they are one on one with you in YOUR boat. they can help you with bad driving skills you may not even know you have. try and get a few other guys in your area together and it'll be a little less expensive. Just my .02 here.

Craig

BEAR 01-12-2011 05:10 PM

Hey Rick,
I frequent both Tahoe and Folsom all summer long as well as some other friends with performance boats.
Let me know when your going out and I'll try to plan a few of us to get wet with ya.
Ryan
(916) 698-0571

Haley'sComet 01-12-2011 09:23 PM

Hey...

You guys have some bad-a** boats for sure!

If you do go out to Folsom, Discovery Park, or Discovery Bay, I'd hop in on that too...

Somehow let all of us know who are local to this area and we will show up.

It would be nice to blow out the egg-beater boats at Folsom anyway! LOL!

X-Rated30 01-12-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Haley'sComet (Post 3296027)
It would be nice to blow out the egg-beater boats at Folsom anyway! LOL!

Hey now...:angry-smiley-038:

Haley'sComet 01-13-2011 09:05 AM

Ummm...

I meant the little egg-beater boats!

LOL!

Haley'sComet 01-13-2011 09:06 AM

Oh...

And the tower boat dudes too....