Notices

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:59 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
And didn't GLH blow a #6 in the DOI boat at speed with little fanfare....??
Yup happened at about 105mph off of South Beach. Had to limp home on one at 50mph...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...5-mph-cat.html

After running DOI for a couple years now, I found that if you want good information on running a cat, talk to the actual people that own and run them... Knowledge at the end of the bar is not the best usually.

Check the rpm's it's the only way to tell something happens. Very uneventful.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYSDK4FXj4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by GLH; 12-30-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
....Many cats will lean into the turns slightly such as Skater and MTI.
When your going fast enough. Slow turns are another story!
Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I do know that turning them is very weird - they lean the opposite direction - so I should go slow when turning and practice turning at various increasing speeds to get used to how this boat turns.
You are going too slow.

I think like on any boat the biggest problems stem from how careful is the piece between the steering and the seat.....

Last edited by GLH; 12-30-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
I respectfully disagree

The operational skill to operate a cat in the rough is far greater
then a vee. Cats will actually fly across the waves. This is where there will be a narrower margin in operating it safely. A vee will plow through the rough at a lower speed lending itself to a bigger margin for safety.

Take two top throttle men put one in a 47 vee
the other in a 46 Cat and run them side by side the cat
will be faster.
Hahaha, I love the "respectfully" part!
I take it this has been discussed before??
47 V and a 46 cat, as the seas get bigger, 6 ft, 7, 8,...10 and up, to the point of being unsafe at high speed, which hull has to start slowing down first? Cat or V ?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cat, Cat, Cat, once you go Cat, you will never go back, 32' Fountain to a 26' Redline Cat, been in same rough conditions with both, lot less of a back ache in my cat, have had same size V-bottoms turn around when we hit the lake...
Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I have lost the starboard motor twice at over 120 in a mis handling poorly balanced over powered 33 cat and the only thing that happened is we slowed down.

I have been in a 30 foot v with a trim pump issue and stock stering that would like to toss you right in the pond at 60 mph.............cats all the way

I have found through the years that insurance companys don't like cool stuff lol
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered

I barrel rolled a warlock 25 cat at 80 mph. Did no damage at all to the boat. Had it flipped right side up and took her to the shop, got the motor running and back on the lake that day. Awesome boat. driver error.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h20 toie
Take the Tres Martin class, it is well worth it and you can save on insurance. Yes it is expensive but i have yet to hear of anyone that took the class and didn't learn a lot or thought it was a waste of money.
How you setup your cat before you go into a turn makes a big difference not just speed.
A twin step boat and cat have a lot in common and as such are more likely to have you wondering how the hell did i end up in the water when i was only doing XXXX.

Cats are more stable if it is not to rough, again it depends on how you are running the boat , when it gets real rough then the V has the advantage.
"How you setup your cat before you go into a turn makes a big difference, not just speed". Please elaborate! If I sit here and think about this statement, my first reaction is that in my very limited experience the cat I have really resists turning unless I am up to plane speed which I think is about 30 or 35 mph. Maybe a little more at Tahoe. This is why I need a lot of seat time to see just how this thing turns and behaves under lots of various conditions. I watched the right sponson dip downward when turning left and vice versa. Guess I need to find out how much this happens at slow speeds at more and more truning angles. This will happen as soon as the weather gets warmer, but I am hopefull some of you good folks here on the OSO forum and help me with your insights.

Rick
Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottiguy
I feel safer in a cat...
me to
Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27daytona
Rick, That cat will never hurt you. Just be logical. The speeds that you or I run are simply not fast enough to be concerned. Just get to know the boat and enjoy it. I always tell everyone that my boat is faster than myself, meaning that I chose not to drive it faster than I am comfortable in whatever situation or conditions.I also am 55 and have owned cats for the past 12 years. I like everything about a cat except the insurance rates. Good luck and enjoy. Doug
Doug, this is the impression I got when driving this Cat! It seemed so stable, it was extremely impressive on my first experience with it.

I drive high performace cars - I owned a true super car - 11th C6 Z06 Corvette made in production and the 1st one in NV and added about 30 rwhp to its already great numbers. Drove it hard! Damn hard! Put 63,000 miles on it in two years... Not one ticket (Valentine one...) nor even coming close to an accident. I also ride 450 cc dirt bikes, and am thinking about a two stroke one because I want more HP! Just went ridiing before all of the snow here with my son who is a mad man on anything mechanical ( gets it from his father). The secret to my success, what I have told my sons and what you alluded to? YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHEN TO SHUT THE THROTTLE OFF!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=mikesufka;3285326]One quick little story which means nothing, but...

Was running flat out in my Spectre 30/Twin 300 Merc combo a few years ago. 97mph.

The right motor's driveshaft broke.

Nothing happened except the water pressure horn went off and the boat slowed down.

And I spent $$$$ getting it fixed.

I think "cats" are fantastic.

Mike[/QUOT

Mike, your response and the other responses I have read on this forum are getting better and better! I was getting worried....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.