CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating? >

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Notices

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
I was drunk and out at night, late. came up on a piece of land and turned it as hard as i could at 80. luck no one was hurt. It threw my girl friend several hundred feet. no life jackets. Luckily a fisherman wass close by and pulled us out of the water. I had two 25 warlocks. one ran 115 with twin outboards. awesome boats very strong and great ride.
What a story! I had a small lightweight yamaha 18 ft boat with two 155 hp jet ski motors. Dead stock and it was a huge blast. I could do 360 degree turns in at at 45 mph. or, 180's with water splashing all over us on hot days. But, one time it tried to throw me out of the boat - my feet sticking straight up in the air and me holding on for dear life! Was just strong enough to hold on and get back in my seat. Last time I drove without the kill switch not connected to me....!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
I had the same thing happen going 95 the first time I had my boat out in a big lake. First cat and only about 5 hrs seat time in a cat. I actually didn't notice for a few seconds except I was slowing down.

Same speed, cats are much more stable, particularly when under 100 mph. At 85, I can turn to avoid obstacles in ways I would never turn in a vee.

The only word of warning I have is, remember - a cat rides on a cushon of compressed air - thus no friction. When you chop the throttles at 85 going in a straight line, it will take 1/8th of a mile to stop because you have no resistance in the water. Solution? Turn the wheel slightly, and you stop like any other boat.
Hey, I did not know this! Great advice, thanks!!!

Rick
Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered

Don't get too greedy with the trim especially when it's rough, you don't want to trip a cat. Most cats don't even come with tabs so don't use more than necessary. If it's flying level your dong it right, just take your time & get used to what the boat wants. A well designed cat will turn harder than your comfortable with but please get a lot of seat time & expert instruction before you explore the limits!!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by vette131
Don't get too greedy with the trim especially when it's rough, you don't want to trip a cat. Most cats don't even come with tabs so don't use more than necessary. If it's flying level your dong it right, just take your time & get used to what the boat wants. A well designed cat will turn harder than your comfortable with but please get a lot of seat time & expert instruction before you explore the limits!!
There also are differences in the way you trim a stepped hull
V-bottom as compared to a conventional V-bottom when you enter a turn. The "trim it down and turn the wheel" approach that is, generally speaking, not a problem with conventional V-bottoms (depending on speed, of course) can be a major problem with a stepped-hull V-bottom. Hooking, catching and rolling are potential problems that come to mind.

Is a cat more risky or dangerous than a V-bottom? In the wrong hands, either can be very safe or very dangerous. Neither is necessarily "easier" to drive. More often than not, it's not the boat that is safe or dangerous. It's the driver.

Best advice I've every heard? Take your time. Progress through speeds slowly, say 5 to 10 mph at a time as you learn your boat.

Another great piece of advice? Call Tres Martin and/or Brad Schoenwald.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
This is why I need lots of play time at lower speeds to get used to this boat.

Even on my one outing, I had it up to about 70-80 in at least 3 ft chop, maybe a little more - middle of Lake Tahoe - extremely smooth ride with the feeling of a little bab, bab, bab of the wave tops from my seat and through my feet, and twice I could tell the boat came out of the water. No drama, NOTHING. Completely level and stable. Just the realization that I made a little jump.

Rick
Cool , just take your time and get to know your boat and watch out for big boat wakes at high speed until you know how big of wave you can handle at different speeds. You will be just fine. Enjoy your cat!!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

here's a video we took right before dark when a neighbor showed up in a helicopter. would of been more fun if he could keep up!! mine doesn't lean much in the turns.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/httpww...=1452469752875

Last edited by vette131; 12-31-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vette131
here's a video we took right before dark when a neighbor showed up in a helicopter. would of been more fun if he could keep up!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/httpww...=1452469752875
NICE!!!! I like where the chopper takes a shortcut and then comes straight at you from the other way.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

mike.. I could have done that...

well if I put a big blower on my chit!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
Brad, I just checked out your site. Looks great, but I am hard pressed to come up with the $2500 fee plus travel expenses to Lake Tahoe from Florida and back. Maybe by the time it warms up things will be different...

Rick
No matter what relief you're feeling from the good fortunes of these members, that will all go away and that worry you once had will come back. I personally have not had any experience with cats, but I took the tres martin performance boat school with Brad this past June. All it takes is one mistake, for a split second and you'll wish you spent $2500 + travel expense for that course. It's a lot cheaper than a accident. After finishing the tres martin course, I couldn't believe the stupid chit I was doing that I never realized was so wrong and so dangerous. The course not only explains how to drive, throttle, and dock a boat, but the hydrodynamics as well. The insurance saving is the least attractive part of the deal. The peace of mind I had every time I sat in the drivers seat of my boat was unbelievable. If you have the funds to spend that kind of money on the boat, you should have the money to secure the safety of you and your passengers. I took this course for a 90mph 29ft v-bottom. If I was in your shoes, I would have purchased the course on my drive back with the boat!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1
Cool , just take your time and get to know your boat and watch out for big boat wakes at high speed until you know how big of wave you can handle at different speeds. You will be just fine. Enjoy your cat!!
X2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.