CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating? >

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Notices

CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I am a 55+ yr old guy who has owned two boats for a total of 8 years. My last boat was a 24 ft. Now, after having the snot beat out of me when the wind comes up at Lake Tahoe, and other lakes, I decided to buy a bigger performance boat. Nothing more dull than a boat that simply cannot perform... Only problem is, that I have been trying to get insurance on the boat I just bought and good grief, every insurance agent is telling me how dangerous CATS are - not to mention that I have been turned down by about 10 companies ( Stacy just got me insurance at what I think is a reasonable rate.). I have even had a boat dealer tell me this too. Everyone seems concerned that a motor will blow at speed and the boat will have a corner dip and then flip killing all aboard. Yet, the prop will free wheel if the motor stops! Are CATs that much more dangerous? Any stories of what can go wrong to give me a heads up? Also, my new ride is a 1995 31 ft SXT CAT with two 600 hp 502's in it.

Rick
Kind of the opposite of what you are doing, I went from a 110mph 22' cat to a 70mph 29' V. Have over 200 hours behind the wheel of each and can honestly say the level of 'danger' is no different. It simply comes down to how far the driver pushes the boat in a given set of conditions. I know the closer to the limits I pushed each of my rigs (after many hours of experience behind the wheel), the pucker factor was the same. I run my Formula much harder in MUCH bigger water than I ever would in the Talon. The key is at all times within the limits of each boat and never what I would consider reckless. Just enough to get the adrenaline really pumping!

ALL boats have different capabilities and handling characteristics and need to be driven within those limits. Like was said before, the level of danger is determined by what is between the wheel and seat. Enjoy your new boat! ..and take your time pushing the limits.
Attached Thumbnails CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?-pic1.jpg   CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?-pic2.jpg  
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
www.performanceboatschool.com

Call anytime.
954 560 9080
Brad
I am in email contact with you folks.

Rick
Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vette131
Don't get too greedy with the trim especially when it's rough, you don't want to trip a cat. Most cats don't even come with tabs so don't use more than necessary. If it's flying level your dong it right, just take your time & get used to what the boat wants. A well designed cat will turn harder than your comfortable with but please get a lot of seat time & expert instruction before you explore the limits!!
Excellent advice! Thanks!

Rick
Old 12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1
Cool , just take your time and get to know your boat and watch out for big boat wakes at high speed until you know how big of wave you can handle at different speeds. You will be just fine. Enjoy your cat!!
Exactly what I was thinking. The two small jumps told me I was going too fast for my experience level and that I had a lot to learn before exploring jumps. I will be first exploring how to turn at different trim settings of the drives and the tabs at gradually increasing speeds.

Rick
Old 12-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vette131
here's a video we took right before dark when a neighbor showed up in a helicopter. would of been more fun if he could keep up!! mine doesn't lean much in the turns.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/httpww...=1452469752875
Mine seemed to lean only when not up to a good plane - about 40mph or below.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
No matter what relief you're feeling from the good fortunes of these members, that will all go away and that worry you once had will come back. I personally have not had any experience with cats, but I took the tres martin performance boat school with Brad this past June. All it takes is one mistake, for a split second and you'll wish you spent $2500 + travel expense for that course. It's a lot cheaper than a accident. After finishing the tres martin course, I couldn't believe the stupid chit I was doing that I never realized was so wrong and so dangerous. The course not only explains how to drive, throttle, and dock a boat, but the hydrodynamics as well. The insurance saving is the least attractive part of the deal. The peace of mind I had every time I sat in the drivers seat of my boat was unbelievable. If you have the funds to spend that kind of money on the boat, you should have the money to secure the safety of you and your passengers. I took this course for a 90mph 29ft v-bottom. If I was in your shoes, I would have purchased the course on my drive back with the boat!
I have to agree.... I am in contact with Tres Martin. When things warm up (it was zero degrees at So Lake Tahoe this morning) I will probably take the course when they have others doing it to keep the cost down.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have owned ten cats over the years. I have blown engines, drives, transmission and even lost props. In every instance the boat simply slowed down. The worst was a blown number six at 150 mph, again slowed down. Made one heck of a noise and grinding. A skilled cat driver can run faster in rough water than a v hull. Many cats will lean into the turns slightly such as Skater and MTI.

Perfect post Brad.

I have also lost power on one side while cruising around at 125mph, & the boat just settled down & came to a stop.

As far as turning: My cat will lean inward a little when you're turning as well, like Brad mentioned.

The Tres Martin course is great fun, & very interesting & informative. He will work with you on the price, depending on where he's having a class, how many have signed up, & whether or not you want to use your own boat for the water portion of the course.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Here is a 40 Skater that looses a engine at 170

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLqhnaYzPXQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Remember different circumstances can lead to different results.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
Hahaha, I love the "respectfully" part!
I take it this has been discussed before??
47 V and a 46 cat, as the seas get bigger, 6 ft, 7, 8,...10 and up, to the point of being unsafe at high speed, which hull has to start slowing down first? Cat or V ?
The cat will still be first to the bar

Nice new ride Kevin. Hope to see ya out in BI this summer.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
I was drunk and out at night, late. came up on a piece of land and turned it as hard as i could at 80. luck no one was hurt. It threw my girl friend several hundred feet. no life jackets. Luckily a fisherman wass close by and pulled us out of the water. I had two 25 warlocks. one ran 115 with twin outboards. awesome boats very strong and great ride.
SVL-WARLOCK
Registered

Posts: 187 Let me tell you it was scary. I was n the water while the fisherman was yelling at me. he pulled my girl out first. She was crazy mad. Worst of all it was a new boat i took out of the showroom that night. I couldnt get the thing flipped back over. Each sponson is air tight, so i couldnt even sink it until i got it back to the ramp. Had to pull the plugs, sink it to the bottom, tie a rope to the cleat and flip it over on the bottom. Then tie the rope to the bow eye and pull it on the bottom up onto the trailer. I had to tow it 3 miles upside down with a deck boat to the ramp. very embarrassing. I had to clean beer cans and champagne bottles out of the water for twenty minutes also {Quote}

What would pulling the plugs do with the the hull upside down??

!! I dont usely wish anyone bad luck but drinking and riding at night with a new boat!!! WTF you should delete your post. Your my worst nightmare. Then sounds like your bragging about how stuiped you are.

Last edited by HotPursuit; 12-31-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.