CAT vs V HULL Danger Rating?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
Hahaha, I love the "respectfully" part!
I take it this has been discussed before??
47 V and a 46 cat, as the seas get bigger, 6 ft, 7, 8,...10 and up, to the point of being unsafe at high speed, which hull has to start slowing down first? Cat or V ?
There is some very famous race footage that we did back in the day. Small craft warnings went into effect off Ocean City, Maryland during an Offshore race.....BIG SEAS......VERY BIG SEAS. the 47 foot triple engined supercharged Apache "Tweets Revenge"....hooked up with the 40 foot Skater "Spirit of Norway"..... two top teams. The Skater caught and passed the Apache with both boats running airborne contuously.

The old Cats in calm water/Vee's in rough water nonsense ended in the early 80's when we figured out that simple plywood was the wrong material to build cats ....or vees....out of. The next fable that needs debunking is that cats can't turn as quickly as vees. Attend one tunnel boat race and you will never utter those words again.

There are two problems with all of this however.....

1. The faster you go in any boat, the higher your skill level needs to be...aside from docking of course.

2. Not all Cats, nor vees for that matter, are created equal. There are any number of cats that I wouldn't be caught dead in....no pun intended. So to say that "Cat's can or can't do this or that." is a mistake. The fact that a Skater or Victory can do such and such is no guarantee that a "Hollywoodcraft" can do the same.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 01-03-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

The old Cats in calm water/Vee's in rough water nonsense ended in the early 80's when we figured out that simple plywood was the wrong material to build cats ....or vees....out of.

The next fable that needs debunking is that cats can't turn as quickly as vees. Attend one tunnel boat race and you will never utter those words again.

2. Not all Cats, nor vees for that matter, are created equal. There are any number of cats that I wouldn't be caught dead in....no pun intended. So to say that "Cat's can or can't do this or that." is a mistake. The fact that a Skater or Victory can do such and such is no guarantee that a "Hollywoodcraft" can do the same.

T2x
Perfect.

Funny, because I was just coming here to say the same thing about the old vs new cats, and that cats in general aren't all built equally from brand to brand. That's as true as it gets.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
This is not a warlock SXT picture thread and doesn't look like anyones trying to buy one in this thread either. Back to topic. What's your plan tahoerick ?

I meant on the OTHER SITE! BUT SEEING YOUR FROM
NEW YORK, your rude comments are explained.........
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blownjet 468
I meant on the OTHER SITE! BUT SEEING YOUR FROM
NEW YORK, your rude comments are explained.........
Being your from LA, your stupidity is also explained!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
There is some very famous race footage that we did back in the day. Small craft warnings went into effect off Ocean City, Maryland during an Offshore race.....BIG SEAS......VERY BIG SEAS. the 47 foot triple engined supercharged Apache "Tweets Revenge"....hooked up with the 40 foot Skater "Spirit of Norway"..... two top teams. The Skater caught and passed the Apache with both boats running airborne contuously.

The old Cats in calm water/Vee's in rough water nonsense ended in the early 80's when we figured out that simple plywood was the wrong material to build cats ....or vees....out of. The next fable that needs debunking is that cats can't turn as quickly as vees. Attend one tunnel boat race and you will never utter those words again.

There are two problems with all of this however.....

1. The faster you go in any boat, the higher your skill level needs to be...aside from docking of course.

T2x
End of story
Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
End of story

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
End of story
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Registered

Great choice in first cat Rick. I have owned one for many years. I have to chime in. Someone said you air it out (Trim positive) when going straight and trim in to turn. THIS IS WRONG! You should absolutely invest in Tres course. Some things sound right but are not and can get you hurt. Stepped cats need the weight on the rear when turning so they need to be neutral to a little positive trim. When the weight shifts forward (by trimming in, negative) the weight shifts forward and you are more likely spin. When straight you should be the opposite (nuetral to a little negative) That being said, your warlock can be set at neutral trim and drive wonderfully all day. It leans out in the corners but you will get used to it. At speed you will find it turns much flatter. You need to learn to resist the urge to get out of the throttle when a big wave comes or you will launch it and can land on the transom (BAD) Tuck the drives in a little if its real big and stay in it or give it a little more. I cant speak highly enough of this hull. I think with your power at Tahoes elevation you are going to have to go mostly all out to get it to where this hull starts to feel really good (80+) Actually, the trickiest opporation I have found is real crossed up wakes at slow speeds especially when coming off plane and decelerating. The bow will go from packing air to not and will follow the waves. I know of a few boats that have taken nearly slow motion flips in these conditions. I dont know of anyone ever wrecking a 31sxt. They are very stable. Call me anytime 1-405-613-3457
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel
Great choice in first cat Rick. I have owned one for many years. I have to chime in. Someone said you air it out (Trim positive) when going straight and trim in to turn. THIS IS WRONG! You should absolutely invest in Tres course. Some things sound right but are not and can get you hurt. Stepped cats need the weight on the rear when turning so they need to be neutral to a little positive trim. When the weight shifts forward (by trimming in, negative) the weight shifts forward and you are more likely spin. When straight you should be the opposite (nuetral to a little negative) That being said, your warlock can be set at neutral trim and drive wonderfully all day. It leans out in the corners but you will get used to it. At speed you will find it turns much flatter. You need to learn to resist the urge to get out of the throttle when a big wave comes or you will launch it and can land on the transom (BAD) Tuck the drives in a little if its real big and stay in it or give it a little more. I cant speak highly enough of this hull. I think with your power at Tahoes elevation you are going to have to go mostly all out to get it to where this hull starts to feel really good (80+) Actually, the trickiest opporation I have found is real crossed up wakes at slow speeds especially when coming off plane and decelerating. The bow will go from packing air to not and will follow the waves. I know of a few boats that have taken nearly slow motion flips in these conditions. I dont know of anyone ever wrecking a 31sxt. They are very stable. Call me anytime 1-405-613-3457
The previous owner told me to keep the tabs at about a setting of "2 to 4" and the drives at about a "2". Of course, who knows what this boats tabs and drives are calibrated at. Still, on my one outing at Tahoe it worked very well. It was also very stable. You comments about taking slow motion flips is concerning... Perhaps I will call you! Also, the previous owner told me that he took jumps and landed on the back 3 foot trim tabs on purpose. He said that was the proper way to land the boat because they cushioned the landing and it just kept going.

Thanks for your advice!

Rick
Old 01-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I am not trying to be a d!ck here, but if you can't afford a safety course like this, you might be shocked at the insurance rates. Also, making the wrong move at "slow" speeds can cause a major incident. I have seen veteran racers flip boats at 1/2 the speed their boats are capable of. What happens to the guy with 1/10th of the experience in a similar situation.
There is no substitute for experience and also proper training from someone who knows what they are doing.
Excuse me, but a $4000 safety course? $2500 for the course and then add in travel from Florida to Nevada - and back, and lodging! I expected to have to pay for boat insurance, and more than any other boat I have owned. I just want to get an accredited boat course that is within reason. I do not plan of paying for someones Maui vacation to give me a 4- 8 hr boat course.

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.