Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stainless Marine 525 exhaust (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245175-stainless-marine-525-exhaust.html)

kreed 01-08-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3291707)
Are you changing yours out right away?

It's a hard pill to swallow initially, but probably money well spent in the long run.

Not sure Scot. But I can sell the CMI'S and put Stainless Marine Gen III's. Gotta make sure the Gen III's will not hit on the insides. Engines are closer together than stock.

Dean Ferry 01-08-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by scarabman (Post 3291749)
Ive got 10 years/400 hrs on mine (knock on wood).

Was there a specific spot on the manifold where they were alleged/known to have cracked?

I had 7+ years and ~ 400 hours in 100 % salt water, flushed everytime, and NEVER a problem on my 1st set.
Dean

raytart 01-08-2011 11:33 AM

CMI/Mercury should just step up and recall their Headers. Replace them at minimal cost to the end user. Lets just say have the end user pay for the labor and shipping.

CMI will check them out for you and repair them if necessary. (at a minimal cost)

Here is the response I got when I inquired:

MY INQUIRY:

I own a 2005 Nordic Heat with a Mercury 525 efi. I've heard horror stories about the 525/CMI header issue. It is my understanding that CMI will inspect and repair if necessary. Can you please provide details of what I need to do and how to make arrangements for this to happen. The boat is now being winterized and I thought it would be a good idea to do this at this time. I have had an issue with a leaky header recently and luckily it was caught in time and no apparent damage has been done. To avoid future issues, I would like to have CMI inspect them for me.

RESPONSE:

They can be sent to our facility for inspection and testing. At that time we can then determine the issues with them and recommend what is needed. The average is about $250 per pair for testing and a light clean up.

Our address is:

1315 County Road G
Neenah, WI 54956

Include all of your contact information with the headers so we can reach you after they have arrived.

Thank You,

David Rank
Custom Marine
920-720-4225
www.custommarine.com

runninragged 01-08-2011 01:44 PM

Does any body know anything about the hardin exhaust line is this any better than cmi junk

Young Performance 01-08-2011 03:04 PM

I have used the Hardin Big Tubes. I think they are the Hurricane's. I have a set that is now over 2 years old and going strong. They were about half the price of the CMI Big Tubes. So far I love them and would not hesitate to use them again.
Eddie

Raylar 01-10-2011 11:26 AM

Changing the CMI 525efi sweepers to a non -long tube header will loose some power on the 525efi and definitely some torque in the mid-range. You should look at CMI's new GEN-X replacement header for the 525efi these can be ordered in the same drilling and will not suffer the cracking problem that the 05-06 Merc 525 CMI headers do and should be a direct bolt in replacement. I have no expierence with the Hardin units and I hear they can be a good header, but it depends as you might want to research the Hardin headers here on OSO>

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

verbi69 01-10-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 30Special (Post 3291197)
maybe because it would cost a lot of money to make a new casting since there is no room to drill new holes ?

Well then they could market them as a direct replacement exhaust for the 525 with no modifications needed.
I would bet they would sell a larger quantity and recoup the initial cost rather quickly. Just look at how many are looking here for replacements.

Baja_man 01-10-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by verbi69 (Post 3293413)
Just look at how many are looking here for replacements.

As Ray had said....CMI's new GEN-X replacement header for the 525efi.....