Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
opinion on rinker captiva 272 >

opinion on rinker captiva 272

Notices

opinion on rinker captiva 272

Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

National Liquidaters has a 02 30 ft victory for 35k. True sport boat.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Registered

I also have my personal boat for sal. 2000 eliminator 25ft eagle cuddy. 502 mag mpi Stock. Boat runs 78 on gps.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

There should be plenty of boats for sale in that price range. You may not find a 2002, but you can find a nice older boat. I just bought my 1993 27' Fountain Fever for $16k. Try a search on Jaxed.com Also don't settle for a regular boat when you want a Performance boat, first time out in the summer and you will be dissapointed in your purchase.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM

thanks everyone.ill keep looking for now.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fctyson0
hello all i would first like to tell you this is my first post here.been viewing oso for some time and finaly joined.anyway hears what my question is.i have been looking for an older used performance boat.(sunsation,power quest,baja,formula,donzi,etc)anyway my budgetwas set at about 30k.i have been searching for about 6 months and not realy finding anything that caught my eye in that price range so i started looking at some rinkers and found a 2002 captiva 272 with 496 ho ,b3 with 209 hours.i like the boat but i have a feeling its going to be a slow boat and use alot more fuel them the performance boats i was looking at.i do most of my boating on a good size lake in northern n.y.(2-5 footers depending on the day.)so what opinions do you guys have on the captiva 272?and what do you think top speed will be?
last i was thinking maybe hold out for a performance boat in the mid 35k range?

thanks for all your help
frank
I'll take a shot at this as I have a Baja 272. It's a little of an apples and oranges comparison between say my boat (sportboat) and a captiva (sportcruiser).
from boattest and youtube, I think a captiva is a 55mph (on gps)boat. My boat with 375hp is 60gps. HO would be 65 on my Baja.
In rougher water I'll take my boat with a deeper v and stand up bolsters over a 'sportcruiser'.
If you want an enclosed head, a little galley area, lounge seating, etc then look at the sportcruisers.

Last but maybe not least; a captiva or Searay, etc isn't gonna turn many heads like a sportboat does.

mb.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_t
I bought a brand new 2000 232 Rinker Captiva in 2000. In my opinion, and this is only MY opinion, that boat was a disappointment, bordering on what I would declare a POS. While wiping it down on 3rd or 4th time out on the local lake, the boat was covered with spider cracks. I immediately brought this to Rinker's attention and they said "read your warranty", cosmetic spider cracks were not a warranty type defect. It scared me to walk on the fwd deck of the boat because of the amount of flex it had. It had a 300 hp 5.7L in it and topped out at 53 mph (on Garmin e-trex gps), so I doubt it was "stressed" too hard. Also, when "flying" down the lake, various accessories would randomly "fly" off the boat, too, such as rear seat cushions and various trim pieces. I'm not sure that the 272 and 232 are apples to apples comparisons, but I was thoroughly disappointed with my "new" boat. I also believe that the Rinkers' are chopped fiber boats, but cannot say that for certain. The boat could have been a decent "family" boat for just cruising/tubing/skiing, or rafting up with other families for a day, but that's about it. It had a lot of nice creature features, but not much attention to detail. If you don't set your expectations too high, you might be satisfied. Definitely not a "sport" boat and not even remotely close to what I would call a true "sport boat". Again, like I said in my 2nd sentence, this is nothing more than MY opinion, based on MY experience with MY brand new 232 Captiva, which I promptly sold in less than 6 months of ownership.

My buddy bought one at National Liq. two years ago. It has a 350, not sure on HP but we can't get it over 46 MPH. Boat had a hard life, he has only fixed a blown out gimbal since owning it. Dragging the outdrive up a steep ramp didn't help gimbal lifespan......

Boat has been reliable, the swim platform is kind of a crappy design but the rest of the boat is ok for what he paid.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Registered

The standard "5.7L" engine (that had a 2bbl carburetor on it) was 260 hp, which is what my boat came with. It topped out at 48 mph with a SS 3-blade prop, one person, and cool weather, etc. We changed the engine to a 300 hp "350 mag", fooled around with props, added Corsa side dump quick-n-quiet exhaust, and got it to run 53 mph (at its best). Like I said, if you don't set your expectations too high, it would have been an ok semi-sporty family boat. We pulled lots of people on skis, tubes, and water toys all over the local lake with that boat. The built in cooler compartment, hide-away table in the cuddy, "U" shape seating (ours had the optional sport style front seats), and bimini with canvas package, were nice and functional extras. We tried to make it more of a sport boat but it was not a sport boat. The very next boat was a stepped hull 27 Fever with a HP500 and a Hydromotive 27p Q-IV prop, labbed by Hydromotive ... that was a very nice "sport boat" (and my first of many to follow)

Last edited by bob_t; 01-09-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM

guys the info here is top notch.thanks for everything
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Registered

I like my 272. I have a few boats and other then my big boat the 272 is my favorite. It's big enough and heavy enough that you don't get thrown around in 2 foot waves or by the wake of other boats, but still fast enough to ski behind. It really depends exactly what you want to do.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck finding a boat fctyson0?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.