Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Screen names (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245284-screen-names.html)

Expensive Date 01-09-2011 10:14 PM

Expensive Date, name of my boat went with wife out to lunch in Atlantic City and to stop by the boat show.Ended up buying my 292 there.Wife said to name it Expensive Date

Next on will be "Executed Trade" because thats what will be paying for it

tomtbone1993 01-09-2011 10:17 PM

My nick name tbone and my first name Tom plus the year of my first car = tomtbone1993

antisocial 01-09-2011 10:20 PM

Antisocial--- My boat doesn't play well with others.

Shah Mat 01-10-2011 05:10 AM

Back in the 90's I had just bought my first boat, a 19'Checkmate bow rider. A few years later someone sent me an e-mail with a bunch of trivia things in it. Shah Mat was one of them. In 01' I bought my 25 Checkmate then shortly after stumbbled onto this site. Seemed like the name fit. :drink: My name is actually Joe

"Checkmate" in chess is actually "Shah Mat," Persian for "the king is defeated" or the "king is helpless".

Chess is a REALLY OLD GAME. The earliest evidence of chess dates back to the year 600 AD in Persia. "Shah" is the title of the royal Persian monarch, so naturally the King in chess was called the Shah. To win chess, you have to defeat the King, by attacking it and making it unable to move. This is called the "Checkmate" or "Shah Mat", literally, "The King is defeated". Mat is a Persian word for "defeated", "helpless", or "at a loss", all pretty good descriptions for a checkmated king.

Millions of chess enthusiasts wrongly assume that "Checkmate" actually means "The King is dead". Chess made its way from Persia to Europe through Arabia and "mat" is an Arab word for dead, so this is a likely source of the confusion. The King in chess can't be "killed" anyway, so "defeated" makes a lot more sense.

ducktail 01-10-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shah Mat (Post 3293119)
"Checkmate" in chess is actually "Shah Mat," Persian for "the king is defeated" or the "king is helpless".

Millions of chess enthusiasts wrongly assume that "Checkmate" actually means "The King is dead". Chess made its way from Persia to Europe through Arabia and "mat" is an Arab word for dead, so this is a likely source of the confusion. The King in chess can't be "killed" anyway, so "defeated" makes a lot more sense.

The word for "chess" is still "Schach" in Central Europe with a pronunciation close to "Shah" and the defeated king is "Schach matt". The word "matt" is widely used in Central Europe, many indo-european words are close to persian words.

ElimiNordic 01-10-2011 06:05 AM

BlowerDan

Mine is easy. I own a Eliminator and a Nordic=ElimiNordic. I used to be BlowerDan which is what all my boating buddies called me since I was the one of the first boats on our lake to run a blower in the mid 80's. After using it on the internet, I got all kind of rude offers from guys who like other guys and I had to change it

SAR skipper 01-10-2011 08:00 AM

Nuttin' real special, and pretty self explanitory.
Former Coastie.
Currently the Marine Coordinator (that and a $1.50 might get you a cup of coffee around here:D ) for a deployable SAR team, and pilot one of the airboats.:ernaehrung004:

Knot 4 Me 01-10-2011 09:12 AM

I went to CG register my current boat so I had to come up with a boat name. My wife said to name it "Knot 4 Me" since she knew it was not the boat I wanted but instead it was a boat for her and my son. So I used the same name when I registered for OSO.

Gladhe8er 01-10-2011 09:36 AM

I was an a-hole in my mid 20's when I joined the board.

Glad he ate her is what it really stands for.

Hauling Trash 01-10-2011 09:39 AM

I was in the Garbage Business at the time.

Mike