Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks? >

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Notices

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

When I am out on the Phantom I very seldom, drink, if at all, 95% of the time I am not drinking, because I like to race to other boats, and I need all of my faculties when running 90+mph.

When I am out on my 15' Boston Whaler I will drink but stay under the legal limit. I defend drunk driver's in court all the time, DUI is a primary component of my legal practice. I have represented and heard of all kinds of tragedy due to impaired operation. I will not be a victim or nor will I victimize an innocent boater or driver of a motor vehicle due to my drinking.

There is a formula which the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center of New Jersey teaches as a guideline for a person to self-determine intoxication based on cunsumption, this is not exact science but is very useful.

A 12 ounce can of beer, 6 ounce glass of wine, and a 1 1/2 ounce shot of 80 proof liquor have an alcohol equivalent of one drink for this example (this is not an exact science but is pretty close to accurate).

A boater has a 12 pack beer on a day out boating, starting at 12:00 PM and ending at 6:00 PM, that is a total of six hours. You subtract the total time spent drinking in hours from the amount consumed. If you weigh more than 150 lbs multiply the remaining factor by .02 (BAC) blood alcohol concentration, and if you weigh less than 150 lbs multiply by .03 (BAC)

12 beers - 6 hours = 6 (factor) x .02 (BAC) = .12 Blood Alcohol Concentration. The legal limit in New Jersey is .08 BAC, the operator is well over the legal limit.

You body will dissipate one alcoholic beverage per hour based on the volumes and proofs and stated above. This does not consider, exposure to the sun, how tired, and other external factors. Do not rely on this formula as legal advice it is not, it is only a guideline has been very effective in helping a person determine if she or he is under the limit and when that person would be able to operate a vehicle and or boat.

If you have questions call me or e-mail me. I will do my best to answer what I can. Time to watch the Eagles V. Packers.

Stephen R. Jones, Esq.
856-449-0939
[email protected]
Old 01-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's official, you're are all much better people than I.

Boating and drinking are made for each other.

Last edited by SS930; 01-09-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smarty
When I am out on the Phantom I very seldom, drink, if at all, 95% of the time I am not drinking, because I like to race to other boats, and I need all of my faculties when running 90+mph.

When I am out on my 15' Boston Whaler I will drink but stay under the legal limit. I defend drunk driver's in court all the time, DUI is a primary component of my legal practice. I have represented and heard of all kinds of tragedy due to impaired operation. I will not be a victim or nor will I victimize an innocent boater or driver of a motor vehicle due to my drinking.

There is a formula which the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center of New Jersey teaches as a guideline for a person to self-determine intoxication based on cunsumption, this is not exact science but is very useful.

A 12 ounce can of beer, 6 ounce glass of wine, and a 1 1/2 ounce shot of 80 proof liquor have an alcohol equivalent of one drink for this example (this is not an exact science but is pretty close to accurate).

A boater has a 12 pack beer on a day out boating, starting at 12:00 PM and ending at 6:00 PM, that is a total of six hours. You subtract the total time spent drinking in hours from the amount consumed. If you weigh more than 150 lbs multiply the remaining factor by .02 (BAC) blood alcohol concentration, and if you weigh less than 150 lbs multiply by .03 (BAC)

12 beers - 6 hours = 6 (factor) x .02 (BAC) = .12 Blood Alcohol Concentration. The legal limit in New Jersey is .08 BAC, the operator is well over the legal limit.

You body will dissipate one alcoholic beverage per hour based on the volumes and proofs and stated above. This does not consider, exposure to the sun, how tired, and other external factors. Do not rely on this formula as legal advice it is not, it is only a guideline has been very effective in helping a person determine if she or he is under the limit and when that person would be able to operate a vehicle and or boat.

If you have questions call me or e-mail me. I will do my best to answer what I can. Time to watch the Eagles V. Packers.

Stephen R. Jones, Esq.
856-449-0939
[email protected]
I just did the math, If I follow your logic and subtract one hour of my life for every beer I have consumed I wont be able to "legally" go boating until 2016!!! LOL!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
I just did the math, If I follow your logic and subtract one hour of my life for every beer I have consumed I wont be able to "legally" go boating until 2016!!! LOL!!!
I hear ya. I like drinking Budweiser; however, I have been convicted of DUI(s) (that's right, more than once) the DUI convictions happened before I became an attorney. I have been there and done that from the the perspective of being a defendant/convicted person, and that as defense cousel to the accused DUI client.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Smarty; 01-09-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
Howdy Carl, basically the same as the US.......DUI if the driver is over a prescribed limit......not sure what it is lately because the laws for motor vehicles has changed to 0 tolerance....over .05 and your vehicle is seized and you get an automatic driving suspension...!!!

I believe here, technically you are not allowed open alcohol while a boat is running.....?

Basically what I do is keep a low profile and make sure all my paperwork and safety gear is in order and have had no problems in 30+ years of boating.....
Thanks, I've never been stopped by Canadian authorities. When I said one beer an hour I meant that is my max. I never drink that much. Usually three beers through the day at most. I don't want to be under the influence even if still legal.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...you cannot justify drinking and driving...period.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't drank and run my boat in 3 summers. But I make up for it when when I get back to the pier
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drink 2 or 3 beers a year, and no I don't have them before boating. LOL!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Once we're tied up at Put-in-Bay it's on!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Stupid Drunks give experienced responsible drinkers a bad name like immature newbie cigarette boater wannabes give seasoned educated responsible boaters a bad name.

I have drank all my life, never been a problem, never been blasted, never been in jail for it.

Some people can drink a few beers and be perfectly normal. Some of the most normal boating friends i have are responsible everyday drinkers that could boat circles around most people out there.

Sadly there is a few who have a desire and a personality along with a non caring or non knowing mindset when they drink.

I had an experience 23 years ago when i rebuilt a 31 Formula for a guy after he sunk it. After boating with his drunkin ass a couple times it totally turned me off from offshore boats after being around them for 15 years. I had grown up around them and my father had owned one back in the early 70s. But now the persona i was seeing was not so much enjoyment of the equipment and the pride of owning and maintaining it but the arrogance and showboating along with the drunkiness that really turned me off.

The last time i was in the boat with him i remarked one hand on the wheel and one on the throttles as we are flying thru some 4 footers at 65 plus.Did not go over well a 24 year old kid telling a 50 year old man how he should run his boat . Didn't bother me .

I have been around many drunks, had friends that are irresponsible drinkers.Have a couple that died and one that is paralyzed from alcohol related accidents,as sad as it is to say they were not responsible drinkers.

Don't crucify some guy because he is truthful enough to say " Yea i have 10 Michelob Lights in the cooler and I will probably drink 9 of which 30 percent will be spilled or swilled"

Another big difference .He is not drinking Becks he is drinking a light beer ,huge difference when you are out there.

To be honest I am more worried about the guy that doesn.t drink all day and than goes to the bar and starts pounding mix drinks and don;t even get started on shots

.Now we are going for full blown stupidity.

Anyways my 2 cents. Happy New Year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.