Notices

Pop Up Cleat Question

Old 01-16-2023, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Pop Up Cleat Question

I am looking for some pop up cleats for my Cigarette Rebuild project. I want something simple, strong, that won't leak and are are quite at the dock. We had some on another boat and they were extremely loud at night even with the slightest boat movements

Let me know your thoughts or should I just stick with standard deck mounted cleats. We can install about anything we want to. We are repainting and have blanked out all of the old holes.

Here is something that I like but I don't know if anyone has used them.

https://shauntorrenteracing.com/products/pull-up-cleat
Old 01-16-2023, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

I liked the Accon Pull Up cleats. Less rattly hardware than the pop ups.

https://www.acconmarine.com/collecti...pull-up-cleats
The following 3 users liked this post by DrFeelgood:
Ironmanwb (01-16-2023), Knot 4 Me (01-16-2023), Padraig (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

A lot of companies use that style cleat from
shaun. Specifically skater and DCB. They look fantastic I think. Very rich and custom look.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
A lot of companies use that style cleat from
shaun. Specifically skater and DCB. They look fantastic I think. Very rich and custom look.
I like them a lot I just want to make sure they are not loud or more importantly leak. 4 of them will be in my cabin behind upholstery I don't want to have to remove.
The following users liked this post:
thisistank (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Nice look to those, but don't really like pop up cleats myself. They hold water, but my main complaint is the core design. Last thing I want to do when having to quickly tie off to a cleat is to have to pop up the cleat. I like to be able to throw a line to hook a cleat as well. Seems style losing out to function these days.

I could see maybe on a flatdeck boat where your spending time on the bow and ladies don't want to get hooked by the cleat or something with super nice graphics where you want cleat to blend in more, but the bullets have recessed slots for each cleat so it's not like your making the deck a more confortable place to hang out and as mentioned before I think your losing function of the cleat. I'd get plain old cleat with 316 stainless steel and call it a day.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Nice look to those, but don't really like pop up cleats myself. They hold water, but my main complaint is the core design. Last thing I want to do when having to quickly tie off to a cleat is to have to pop up the cleat. I like to be able to throw a line to hook a cleat as well. Seems style losing out to function these days.

I could see maybe on a flatdeck boat where your spending time on the bow and ladies don't want to get hooked by the cleat or something with super nice graphics where you want cleat to blend in more, but the bullets have recessed slots for each cleat so it's not like your making the deck a more confortable place to hang out and as mentioned before I think your losing function of the cleat. I'd get plain old cleat with 316 stainless steel and call it a day.
Texoma,

I personally like the cleaner look of the pop-up cleats. I'm not sure what the panic would be. We've always got ropes laced to cleats by the time it's time to toss ropes to the dock or another boat.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Stainless Marine offered a flush mount cleat that did not pop up, no moving parts. APBA legal.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Texoma,

I personally like the cleaner look of the pop-up cleats. I'm not sure what the panic would be. We've always got ropes laced to cleats by the time it's time to toss ropes to the dock or another boat.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
I like the clean look as well., we are even putting the running light in the rub rail so it is not on the deck. This is for my 72' 36 widebody. We are making the deck as clean as we can but I can't stand the rattle of the pop up cleats I have had in the past. I also don't like the plastic cups that are under most of them. I am just looking for the best options.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

The cleats from Torrente are really nice I installed them on the new 32 Speedster we are building. They are a very tight fitting part no rattle. The only problem is drilling the holes they are very tight to the edge of the part I had to use a Forstner bit to drill the big holes so as not to chip the paint and I also made backing plates for them. Very quality part.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Texoma,

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
I like the cleaner look too. Not easy to tie with a single hand though. Just cause I want to hook a cleat doesn't mean I'm in a panic trying to tie it up. I may want to hook the bow in a slip and get the boat closer before I tied it off and I know your supposed to tie off to cleat first, but doesn't always work out that way when captaining by yourself and seasoned crew that always acts like it's their first time in a boat, never fails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.