Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Please clairify (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245341-please-clairify.html)

Sheer Insanity 01-09-2011 08:11 PM

Please clairify

I am looking for a 32/35 lightning and several people are arguing the point that my 1998 F150 5.4 2wd with the upgrade heavy duty trans and low gears wont pull it. I have towed my 25 checkmate easily with it.

I dont go far and if I do I can borrow my brother in laws duly but for local drops can my ford handle it?

LapseofReason 01-09-2011 08:22 PM

Should pull it all the way to the seen of the crash just fine.

The boat with all your crap in it and gas,trailer will be too much for that truck, and if you get in a crash and kill/hurt somebody watch how fast your insurance runs away.

LapseofReason 01-09-2011 08:24 PM

A 35 with twins and the bigger trailer will be close to twice what you are pulling now.

glassdave 01-09-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 3292969)

The boat with all your crap in it and gas,trailer will be too much for that truck, and if you get in a crash and kill/hurt somebody watch how fast your insurance runs away.

+1

Originally Posted by Sheer Insanity (Post 3292956)
I am looking for a 32/35 lightning and several people are arguing the point that my 1998 F150 5.4 2wd with the upgrade heavy duty trans and low gears wont pull it. I have towed my 25 checkmate easily with it.

I dont go far and if I do I can borrow my brother in laws duly but for local drops can my ford handle it?

you might want to re phrase the question to "should I" instead of "could I". Yes it will pull that boat . . . . . . no its not a good idea by a long shot or your screen name will be well earned :D.

You could probably get away with off highway around town hauling but you still run the liability risk.

RunninHotRacing163.1 01-09-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 3292969)

:eek:
but your right

Sheer Insanity 01-09-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3292975)
+1

you might want to re phrase the question to "should I" instead of "could I". Yes it will pull that boat . . . . . . no its not a good idea by a long shot.

I understand the safety issues but my boat ramp is in my neighborhood less than 1 mile away with a 25 mph speed limit. Safety isnt a concern for the short distance. I can go 10 mph to and from the ramp.

I was concerned about getting up the ramp out of the water? I dont want to drop in and not be able to get up the ramp.

Tax Free 01-09-2011 08:45 PM

I’m only about a mile from the dock with a very steep hill in and out of the water. Insurance should be one of your concerns, when I insured my new purchase I had to provide truck info. With that info also had to show that my puller could safely and legally move it. I wouldn't want to be in a accident with a vehicle that isn't rated.... just my 2C.

andyt25 01-09-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sheer Insanity (Post 3292981)
I understand the safety issues but my boat ramp is in my neighborhood less than 1 mile away with a 25 mph speed limit. Safety isnt a concern for the short distance. I can go 10 mph to and from the ramp.

I was concerned about getting up the ramp out of the water? I dont want to drop in and not be able to get up the ramp.

it all depends on the ramp I usually put mine in 4low on steeper ramps just to make sure I think towing with a 2wd half ton is just asking for trouble thats alot more boat then what you have now

LapseofReason 01-09-2011 08:47 PM

That you should be fine, I too have a ramp in my hood that I have used my lawn tractor to launch 16 foot jet boats with, but my ramp has less slope than a garage floor so it's no big deal. How steep is your ramp? I once had to use my 42 Sonic to help push my f350 cc 4x4 dullie up the ramp in 4 wheel drive, The tide was way out and the ramp was more like a wall and had alge on it.

US1 Fountain 01-09-2011 08:51 PM

Noone can answer that question. To many varibles, steepness, tires, pavement, gearing, tongue weight.....One way to find out, hopefully it'll work. You won't have the option to lock it in if you can't.