Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Will This Do to Value? >

What Will This Do to Value?

Notices

What Will This Do to Value?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will not add any value if anything it will hurt you in the long run. If you do it do it because you want it.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

X2
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Motors are worth more then what wraps around them in most cases. If you can afford it the best thing is like said, put the 496 on a pallet in the corner. After you drop the kind of money you are talking on a motor by building one from scratch you will want to keep it forever.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Thank you guys for the reply.

Griff... basically that is that we will be doing. The only thing that will be used is the crank. But what suggestions do you have for starting from scratch?
Personally, I would keep my eye on the classifieds for a used low hour engine. There have been some great deals.

I definately would not tear into your 496HO just to use the crank.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Or build your new engine, add gill exhaust, can of $30 Merc blue for the intake, Merc racing valve covers, and a Merc racing Spark arrestor. When you sell your value will be higher because it has a stock "Blue" carb 500HP motor in it

Had this happen to a friend, the only reason we knew was because it popped and tear down revealed a 454 mag engine with merlin heads and 500hp intake.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Or build your new engine, add gill exhaust, can of $30 Merc blue for the intake, Merc racing valve covers, and a Merc racing Spark arrestor. When you sell your value will be higher because it has a stock "Blue" carb 500HP motor in it

Had this happen to a friend, the only reason we knew was because it popped and tear down revealed a 454 mag engine with merlin heads and 500hp intake.
That is exactly what I do not want to do!

Thanks everyone for the info, help and ideas.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If the boat and motor has only 100 hours why do want to upgrade so soon?
There is no limit as to what you can spend. New Aluminum or stainless steel manifolds, Boring, pistons, camshafts, bigger heads to produce more power. Bigger intake more carb , now will the outdrive handle the additional torque. New prop.
Keep it stock use the boat as it is. There will always be somebody faster than you out there based one thier pocketbook.
Post what you decide to do.
Best of luck which ever way you decide to go.
Some people Gearheads just like to screw around with big ponies, if so just go for it but you will probably not see the money back. Especially when fuel is going up and up and up!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
That is exactly what I do not want to do!

Thanks everyone for the info, help and ideas.
BTW I agree about putting the engine in the corner, documenting hours, and putting it back when you are done.

Every toy I upgrade but keep the stock parts, when done the stock parts go back on the the mods go up for sale. Recently with a snowmobile the aftermarket parts pulled more than the 3 year old sled did. The parts netted me about 95 percent return of cost on ebay.