Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245549-getting-ready-break-ground-shop-need-opinions.html)

Sydwayz 01-12-2011 03:53 PM

Thread from when I built mine:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...oy-box-up.html

Take some advice from someone who has been there. Make the building long enough to back in your truck and trailer on the same side/bay. I wish I had. You figuratively "double" the size of your building. Once I unhitch and put my CC LB dually in the other bay, it takes up half of that side. When I've got a PWC, Mini-Hawk, lowrider Tahoe, golf-cart, and another hot rod; and everything else in there, it's busy. You fill it up MUCH quicker than you ever think possible.

BUT, the main reason I wish I had built mine deep enough is so when I get home at 11PM from a long day on the water, and want to wait until the next day to wash the boat: I wish I could just leave everything all hitched up, close the door and walk away. Same goes for when preparing for a long trip. It seems trivial, but trust me; it's worth it to have it built deep enough to park as described.

I've got a 30x60. I wish it was 30x75.

There are several threads on here with good info. Search for pole barn and also shop pics.

twin screws 01-12-2011 03:57 PM

Mine is 60ft deep and I was able to put a 42ft cig with room to walk around the boat. Be sure you give yourself enough room to be able to stand up in the boat. My garage is 14ft tall and that is plenty of room. My boat stays in my basement, I built the house around the basement garage....wife damn near divorced me. It stays the same temp year around and I don't have to winterize the boat.
Good luck

baywatch 01-12-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3295656)
Thread from when I built mine:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...oy-box-up.html

Take some advice from someone who has been there. Make the building long enough to back in your truck and trailer on the same side/bay. I wish I had. You figuratively "double" the size of your building. Once I unhitch and put my CC LB dually in the other bay, it takes up half of that side. When I've got a PWC, Mini-Hawk, lowrider Tahoe, golf-cart, and another hot rod; and everything else in there, it's busy. You fill it up MUCH quicker than you ever think possible.

BUT, the main reason I wish I had built mine deep enough is so when I get home at 11PM from a long day on the water, and want to wait until the next day to wash the boat: I wish I could just leave everything all hitched up, close the door and walk away. Same goes for when preparing for a long trip. It seems trivial, but trust me; it's worth it to have it built deep enough to park as described.

I've got a 30x60. I wish it was 30x75.

There are several threads on here with good info. Search for pole barn and also shop pics.

+1 Brian was actually nice enough to talk to me and give me some pointers when putting mine up.

Here is a thread on MWBP when I built mine. http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/sh...winter+project

Mine is 40x60 and I have had a 38 scarab avs with boxes, my 36' apache, a 33sr1 formula and a 47' fountain all in mine at the same time. I put a 20' door on the end and put a ball on the forks of my bobcat for maneuvering when I have a full house. I am not nearly as far along as I would like (still have a rock/crush floor) but I was out there this morning putting a coat of bilge coat in the apache since I have the motors are out and I must say it is hard to imagine what I did before I had the barn.

My advice is go as big as you can get away with and afford. It is much cheaper to do it now rather than later. Another thing I did was put a 12' door on one side so I don't have to move a boat just to get a 4 wheeler out etc. Good luck

Mac 01-12-2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by FuelinAround (Post 3295531)
:coolcowboy:Well I finally got the cranes here last week to move around a bunch of stuff and plan on finally breaking ground on my shop in march (unless something gets in the way). I have a few questions

1) I want to build my shop large enough that I could expand to a 38. My trailer now is 37 Feet long so I had figured on building the shop 42 ft deep. How large would a 38 top gun, sonic, etc with trailer typically be?

2) How wide are you guys making your doors? I originally quoted a 14ft wide by 10ft tall door. Should that be sufficient?

3) How tall is tall enough on ceilings? My builder said it has to be atleast 2 ft over my door height. I wonder if 12ft is plenty high???

4) What floor coatings are you using on your floors? I want to apply a paint down floor to preserve the shop and make it look nice.

5) I am considering building a walk platform beside the boat like showrooms have to load coolers in and out of and for tools etc when working on it. Has anyone ever built one of these or purchased something similar?

FYI. this is a temporary shop at my place of business. I plan on using it for around 5 years and when we build on our land I will contruct a personal man cave and turn this over for company use. I am attempting to keep the cost of the building (minus concrete) below 10grand.

I have been in the construction business a long time........ GOOD LUCK on ten 10 grand

baywatch 01-12-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mac (Post 3295663)
I have been in the construction business a long time........ GOOD LUCK on ten 10 grand

+1 I was looking at my receipts a couple weeks ago and I had 5k in site prep alone (and I was the guy driving the High Lift and it was already a flat spot).

One additional note about the sky lights. I opted not to have these because if you put in a ceiling they no longer serve their point. They also let a lot of heat out and heat in. Also, if you are doing Prodex type insulation put it over the purlins before you put on the roof (I didn't do that and talk about a lot of extra work).

RunninHotRacing163.1 01-12-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mac (Post 3295663)

+2

GOOD LUCK on ten 10 grand
U may have forgotten about insulated door,cielings,electrik,insulation, cant do a Menards Pole Bldg for that
never happen !

Better dig up that coffee can from in the back yard and grab an xtra $100K :eek:

northernoffshore 01-12-2011 04:37 PM

spray foam insulation open cell

LapseofReason 01-12-2011 04:47 PM

10k you might be able to rent a bay that size for a month. I have an est. for 13k to add 20x24 onto my garage and that will just be a floor 3 walls and a slant roof. I do have to dig up my 500 gal. fuel tank move an a/c unit about 10 feet and move the power meter but still it adds up fast.

Sydwayz 01-12-2011 05:01 PM

I spent $10K in site work. :eek:

If looks and vertical walls don't matter, I'd look into a metal "hangar" type of building that bolts together.

FuelinAround 01-12-2011 05:10 PM

Like I said the 10gs is without concrete. I got a quote on a 20x40 by same guy who just built my parents home, for $7500 insulated. He has built 4 other general storage pole barns for us and one is 15 years old. Great quality. I have never built a specialized and that's where I had questions on. like I said this is not the barn I will use forever it's a quick fix I can pay for throught my company instead of paying 215/mo for rental space. There is only one rental space locally with bays big enough (15x40)that I can access whenever. The cheap ones are the ones where u have to call and have them get my boat out before I come and I don't like that. We will be building a new home in 2-3 years and I will build my dream shop there.