Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions. >

Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.

Notices

Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can go 12' ceiling and still pull engines.You can also go with 11' tall doors and low clearance track.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Width

Just my two cents but,
I would never go with a 10' or 12' door. I had a 12' and just did not like getting the boat that close to the metal sides. I had Overhead Door build a 25' wide door and cut out my brick siding. Installed it was about $9600 but it leaves ample room to back in without worrying about getting a little sideways. I have a 37,000+ foot building for my business that I park my boats in the winter and it is fully heated and cooled. I had a contractor come and build a covered area 50ft deep with nice sheetrock walls and ceilings to keep the new boat away from my employees who think "it must be nice to be the boss". I prefer they do not climb on and scratch the gel. Good luck on your shop. There is nothing like having a conditioned space to work on your toys.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brian41
You can go 12' ceiling and still pull engines.You can also go with 11' tall doors and low clearance track.
what are you pullin motors out of a Jet ski ???? perhaps non Blower motors? or are you taking the blowers & carbs off first ? we have 14 foot cielings and have only 3 inches to spare on the SKATER, American Offshore, and a few fountains .. do the 14 foot KYBOY cant put a hatch up with lights or cieling fans with a 12' penny wise & dollar foolish

wheres the pics ????? bulldozer,backhoe,stone pad ,footing . Geez get with it
Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
what are you pullin motors out of a Jet ski ???? perhaps non Blower motors? or are you taking the blowers & carbs off first ? we have 14 foot cielings and have only 3 inches to spare on the SKATER, American Offshore, and a few fountains .. do the 14 foot KYBOY cant put a hatch up with lights or cieling fans with a 12' penny wise & dollar foolish

wheres the pics ????? bulldozer,backhoe,stone pad ,footing . Geez get with it

Trust me I agree on "the bigger the better" theory. It sounds to me like he wants to know "how small can I get away with and not hate myself later". I would never build a building with less than 14 ceilings if you are going to any type of work out of it.

I think I read back on the last page where 10 foot was discussed and my answer would have been yes again but your limited to what type of equipment will do the job. The largest part of my shop only has 10 foot ceilings and I install engines in this part all the time. I can even change out the blower engines in my 39 OE with the flame arrestors on them in this part of the building. Just takes the proper equipment and its easy.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

Trust me I agree on "the bigger the better" theory. It sounds to me like he wants to know "how small can I get away with and not hate myself later". I would never build a building with less than 14 ceilings if you are going to any type of work out of it.

I think I read back on the last page where 10 foot was discussed and my answer would have been yes again but your limited to what type of equipment will do the job. The largest part of my shop only has 10 foot ceilings and I install engines in this part all the time. I can even change out the blower engines in my 39 OE with the flame arrestors on them in this part of the building. Just takes the proper equipment and its easy.
10 foot may want to get a new tape measure they just measured the SKATER and its 7' foot tall , BBC oil pan to air cleaner 5' 6" , and need a lil room for chain
i must be missin sumtin
Old 01-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned

First you take the boat off the trailer put it on custom made dollies now back of boat is only 61 inches from the ground. My engines are only 48 inches tall from bottom of mounts to flame arrestor nuts leaving me 11 inches for the hook an beam on the monster cherry picker. NO PROBLEM NOT EVEN CLOSE. I do have the other part of the building with 14 foot ceilings and Gantry crane when needed like yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-39-ocean-express-008.jpg   Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-dsc01029.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

First you take the boat off the trailer put it on custom made dollies now back of boat is only 61 inches from the ground. My engines are only 48 inches tall from bottom of mounts to flame arrestor nuts leaving me 11 inches for the hook an beam on the monster cherry picker. NO PROBLEM NOT EVEN CLOSE. I do have the other part of the building with 14 foot ceilings and Gantry crane when needed like yesterday.

mmmm i dont see a blower or carbs on that hook ....
if you read this thread and his new bldg info i highly dought he is planning on taking his Sonik off the trailer and rollin it around the shop , maybe he should dig a 7" foot deep pit/ ramp inside and back the boat in to ground level and wont even need a set of steps what an idea u can thank me later KYBOY
Old 01-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

Thats a Ilmor V10 on the hook the blower motors are on the left side of the first pic.

Putting them on dollies are the best and easiest way to work on and move them around the shop.....well worth the extra effort.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Thats a Ilmor V10 on the hook the blower motors are on the left side of the first pic.

Putting them on dollies are the best and easiest way to work on and move them around the shop.....well worth the extra effort.
Cool BIG Daddy i have been to various diff shops and never seen them take a boat off the trailer to pull an engine , and i doubt a shop like Dereberry in Texas could charge a customer to take a boat off the trailer so they could swap a mtor or do a refresh ... might work for personal use but a shop is'nt gunna leave a boat off the trailer in the shop while there having a set of motors refreshed ... the extra effort would have to reflect in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .. looks cool thou like a giant Skateboard
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Height is the cheapest part of the building IMO...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.