Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions. >

Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.

Notices

Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As far assit leveling etc I am not considering that as site prep. I got excavators and guys on payroll who will do that while we are slow. Along with my electrical, plumbing etc it will all be hourly workers when I am slow so I'm not really counting those cost. Just cost to set poles, put on siding, insulate, and hang garage doors. After being dryed in Im all good
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

stanard garage doors are 16' wide the better. and like others have said doors on sides or back, great for air flow and when you have to get the lawn mower out you dont have to move the Boat. also epoxy the floor and not the menards cheap stuff. or save some money and use asphault, I have a 40x120 and it was cheaper to have a paving crew do it,then I could buy concrete for. just seal coat it for the 1st 2 years to fill the voids. the seal coat will not breakdown cause its not in the elements. lastly insulating a pole building is a must or it condensates
Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Like I said the 10gs is without concrete. I got a quote on a 20x40 by same guy who just built my parents home, for $7500 insulated. He has built 4 other general storage pole barns for us and one is 15 years old. Great quality. I have never built a specialized and that's where I had questions on. like I said this is not the barn I will use forever it's a quick fix I can pay for throught my company instead of paying 215/mo for rental space. There is only one rental space locally with bays big enough (15x40)that I can access whenever. The cheap ones are the ones where u have to call and have them get my boat out before I come and I don't like that. We will be building a new home in 2-3 years and I will build my dream shop there.
If you can pull that off for $7500 I say more power too you. Mine is beefy because of our county codes (2x6 purlins and ribs, 2x12 headers, 24" diameter holes that are 48" deep etc. etc. I figure I have over 2k in this insulation alone after shipping ( http://www.insulation4less.com/Insul...l-72-Inch.aspx ). I suppose if you live in county where you don't have to deal with permits and stuff that will help as well.

When You start it do a thread so the rest of us can see what you come up with.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you start it do a thread and post some pics so the rest of us can see what you come up with, should make for great reads.

now GET R DUN
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-paint-pix-111.jpg   Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-paint-pix-023.jpg   Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-paint-pix-080.jpg  

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 01-13-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: download
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send that builder to FL to build a few of these 10k garages?!?!? I will flip them for 50 or 60k.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

My garage is 58' x 30' with 12' height, actually it's a basement/garage. Have a 12' x 10' door on the back and (2) 9'x9' on the front. I could drive through with my Cig T/G, now with the MTI I have to back in the 12' door. The length has enough room to pull drives and work behind the boat. I have an i-beam and could pull the engines in the Cig if I removed the hatch and the blowers. No way can I do that with the MTI it's too tall on the trailer. 14' minimum next go round.

Looking now at building a pole barn 36' x 72' w/16' ceiling. MTI trailer with the drive guard is 48' and with a long bed dually I'll be able to leave the truck hooked up.

They are NEVER big enough!!
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-img_5413a.jpg   Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-img_5415a.jpg  

Last edited by ciaoderhead; 01-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Appreciate it guys.... Think I collected plenty of ideas.. I will post pics and receipts in about a month when I start.... Runninhot thats a nice shop! What is everyone using for interior walls? I may even just leave it open with backside of insulation showing for a bit
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
spray foam insulation open cell
+1 and their is another 10 k...

i would not go open cell,their is no moisture barrier and is not flame retardant, closed cell is the way to go
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered

I bought a 12' X 40' "portable garage" from www.garagedepot.com. If I remember it ran about $3,000. It's not beautiful but serves its prupose til I can build my dream shop. PS- I would highly recommend a garage door taller than 10'. Good luck and post pics.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow I was looking at pictures of the garages you guys have and I must say their pretty impresive! Fuelinaround definitely take pictures of the whole process, threads like these are always fun to read, good luck and I'm sure it will turn out great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.