Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions. >

Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.

Notices

Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
Thats a Ilmor V10 on the hook the blower motors are on the left side of the first pic.

Putting them on dollies are the best and easiest way to work on and move them around the shop.....well worth the extra effort.
I hope the Ilmor V-10 was going in, and not out because of a problem.

My end walls are 14ft. and I wouldn't go with anything less. Rollup door is 12ft. tall and 16ft. wide. Building is 15,000 sq. ft. and my house is built inside the building.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just got back my quotes yesterday and believe we are on final design. My newest quote is 55x30 with 14 foot ceilings a 12 foot tall by 18 ft wide door. My future plan is to look at a 38 something boat and then my retirement boat will be a black thunder. Talked to several guys on here that have bts and said they could fit them in 55ft buildings easy. I doubt I will still be using this building then but just incest it's large enough. We are trying to get a permit for the slab now. It will probably be 45 days before I pour more concrete. I just got the crane in and started setting stuff on our new 250x60 slab. Have a lot if trenching and utilities to run over the next 30 days and then should be able to start. I am hoping to be moved in by may. I will post the 3d imaging from the builder once I sign off on the final design
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Registered

Congrats! looks like a fine beginning to a "temporary" boat house. Keep the pics coming and let us know as the project is progressing.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Just got back my quotes yesterday and believe we are on final design. My newest quote is 55x30 with 14 foot ceilings a 12 foot tall by 18 ft wide door. My future plan is to look at a 38 something boat and then my retirement boat will be a black thunder. Talked to several guys on here that have bts and said they could fit them in 55ft buildings easy. I doubt I will still be using this building then but just incest it's large enough. We are trying to get a permit for the slab now. It will probably be 45 days before I pour more concrete. I just got the crane in and started setting stuff on our new 250x60 slab. Have a lot if trenching and utilities to run over the next 30 days and then should be able to start. I am hoping to be moved in by may. I will post the 3d imaging from the builder once I sign off on the final design
Got something else on your mind?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IlmorDonzi
I hope the Ilmor V-10 was going in, and not out because of a problem.
Actually we are installing them in a 388 Hustler with Arneson drives that was a Bravo/BBC boat. Somebody else hacked the Arnesons on and we are doing the cleanup and install.
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to break ground on shop....need opinions.-dsc01026.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by brian41
Actually we are installing them in a 388 Hustler with Arneson drives that was a Bravo/BBC boat. Somebody else hacked the Arnesons on and we are doing the cleanup and install.
Because of the headers, is it a side by side setup or stagger?

On my Ilmors, they are stagger, and the forward motor has taller headers. I have never had any problems with headers on my rear motor, but have on the forward motor with the long tailpipes. i just got through putting a real stout bracing system on the forward exhaust.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Got something else on your mind?
Damn predictive iPad text
Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
I ordered an electric furnace yesterday.... A 68000 btu with a 3.5 ton air mover for $700 (10 year york warranty) should allow me to raise the heat 30-40 degrees in the room. My next question is what wall coverings (if any) are you using inside?
Nice Shop!! but why would you go with elect heat??.....if your prices are ANYTHING like elect rates around here it would be my LAST choice.....if gas is unavailable to the site youd be much better off calling some local oil heat contractors and seeing if they have a good used take out oil furnace from somebody who upgraded to gas and put that in...you dont even have to worry about delivery you can put diesel in it from your local gas station....D

oh and for wall coverings in your part of the country you could prob just use drywall.....in colder regions constantly raising and lowering the inside space temp above and below freezing (dewpoint) will cause drywall to go punky over time....my last house had that prob in the garage the drywall was all bubbly and punky and looked like s hit.....in this shop I used 1/2" chip board with a heavy coat of paint.....its a little "warmer" than metal which is another common choice.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 02-03-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Yes, I switched to a natural gas air forced furnance and returned the electric. Once it came in my electrician told me I needed like 200v service just for my heater lol. So I now have natural gas being run to the shop and will just have to run blower motors. Nice part is it will also run when we have power outages so less chance of freezing the blocks. I will just run a generator to run the blowers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.