Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   DCB M31/M35- anyone agree with me- (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245667-dcb-m31-m35-anyone-agree-me.html)

BLee 01-14-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by VortechSS (Post 3297417)
Also side effects could be bloodshed....

Seems we always end up with at least one person "missing the grab" each summer and ending up back in the floor... we usually can bet on who it will be though and alcohol usually helps this factor tenfold:angry-smiley-038::lolhit:

All joking aside,
What performance boat designs have the best bow access design??

Haha, there will definitely always be someone that's going to take a spill no matter how easy the boat is to move around in :drink:

I like how Cigarette incorporates the stairs into the cabin door on their newer boats, and at least have a step on their older boats to make it easier to access the deck.

Originally Posted by todd969 (Post 3297410)
Seriously, if someone is worried about how to get on/over/out then chances are they are looking at the wrong boat in these models.

I don't get the impression that anyone is concerned with getting out of the boat, just the ease of getting to the deck to catch a line or throw one. If you have to tie up 5 or 6 times in one day, it can make a big difference for the people helping you tie up, especially if you're in a hurry or the current or wind are pushing you around.

I'd also prefer to not have someone have to step on the gauges/dash, or risk tripping over the windshield everytime they need to go up front. It's not a deal breaker, but definitely a consideration on any boat that I've had or have now.

PokerRun388 01-14-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ktron (Post 3297412)
I was just thinking about this exact subject. After seeing the latest M31 video, I revisited my powerboat mag with the test on the red,white and silver M31 that was tested. I love the looks of the boat but noticed how the outside of the gunwales are shaped and think it would be a challenge for some people to get in and out of the boat. Other cats have areas to step when moving from the bow aft or just getting into the boat at the dock. MTI,Skater, Nortech all have areas to stand and step but the M31 does not. Also the way the hatches open to the engines also make it impossible to access the cockpit when they are both open. I love the looks of the boat but these two things make you think.

im happy you agree with me on this... ya they are gorgeous,, amazing looking boats (DCBs)... but ya what happens when you have a quick moment where u need to rush to the bow of the M31/M35... u cant... no where to walk on the sides... i agree with you 100%...nvr realized the info bout the hatches... good call... i agree with u there too!

PokerRun388 01-14-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 3297368)
I've noticed a number of different boats, both vees & cats, that have this issue. People seem to overlook it until they are in the situation themselves, but I am always surprised that the manufacturer doesn't notice it when the boat is still in the design phase?

Having to step over, or on the windshield/dash area to access the bow is not only a pain, but can be fairly dangerous as well. If someone of average size falls, it can easily break the windshield or the gauges if that's where they land.

I've always liked the "Lightning" design over the "Fever" design on Fountains for this reason. It's definitely an important detail that makes a boat more or less user friendly.

I agree with u completely.... I dont think alot of ppl think about climbing in/out the bow of the bow when buying or think about the windshield in that situation.... And like u said earlier.... after someone buys the boat,, is when they realized what a challenge it might be...!

PokerRun388 01-14-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by todd969 (Post 3297390)
Really? You sure have alot of opinion for a new guy.

If getting in-n-out easy is something you need, buy an openbow.

Most "not all" don't worry about the exit factor when buying these type of boats.

My opinion!

haha sorry Todd.... i know im a new guy...but im always wanting others opinions I have on certain makes/models... the DCB is just something that i was thinking about... And ya i agree that most spending this much probably arent thinking about getting in and out of it... but believe me... when the time comes,,, and another boat is about to hit or touch yours,, and you cant get out onto the bow bcuz the windshields in the way... then its an issue.... but i was just askn the forum... no disrespect... id be lucky to own a DCB M/F series....!

Boatlesss 01-14-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by todd969 (Post 3297390)
Really? You sure have alot of opinion for a new guy.

If getting in-n-out easy is something you need, buy an openbow.

Most "not all" don't worry about the exit factor when buying these type of boats.

My opinion!

Quite a high post count you have there yourself. While you proclaim to be ubber efficient at docking when do you typically attach your dock lines and fenders? Before you rub against that nail sticking out of the dock or after? Egress to the bow and the cleats installed upon it is imperative and I have been to plenty of marinas that have a current, high wind or are a tight fit whereby when I throw a line to someone it certainly makes a world of difference. Without that ability, people are at the mercy of the environment. This DCB is not a boater freiendly boat. Catch a leg on the windscreen and trip off the boat, slip slide off the sides and land between the dock and a moving boat, or reside to being a crash test docker. PASS

todd969 01-14-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3297457)
haha sorry Todd.... i know im a new guy...but im always wanting others opinions I have on certain makes/models... the DCB is just something that i was thinking about... And ya i agree that most spending this much probably arent thinking about getting in and out of it... but believe me... when the time comes,,, and another boat is about to hit or touch yours,, and you cant get out onto the bow bcuz the windshields in the way... then its an issue.... but i was just askn the forum... no disrespect... id be lucky to own a DCB M/F series....!

It's all good. BLee pretty much nailed it. Would I own a DCB? Absolutely NOT when I could have a real CAT for damn near the same price. DCB koolaid and bling are overrated.

Ask yourself this: When was the last time you saw DCB in any boat racing series, then ask why is it DCB racing?

Sure Dave builds a nice product, but there's always something better.

Todd

Wildman_grafix 01-14-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 3297368)
I've noticed a number of different boats, both vees & cats, that have this issue. People seem to overlook it until they are in the situation themselves, but I am always surprised that the manufacturer doesn't notice it when the boat is still in the design phase?

Having to step over, or on the windshield/dash area to access the bow is not only a pain, but can be fairly dangerous as well. If someone of average size falls, it can easily break the windshield or the gauges if that's where they land.

I've always liked the "Lightning" design over the "Fever" design on Fountains for this reason. It's definitely an important detail that makes a boat more or less user friendly.

As the owner of a fever I can say it is a PITA!

todd969 01-14-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boatlesss (Post 3297485)
Quite a high post count you have there yourself. While you proclaim to be ubber efficient at docking when do you typically attach your dock lines and fenders? Before you rub against that nail sticking out of the dock or after? Egress to the bow and the cleats installed upon it is imperative and I have been to plenty of marinas that have a current, high wind or are a tight fit whereby when I throw a line to someone it certainly makes a world of difference. Without that ability, people are at the mercy of the environment. This DCB is not a boater freiendly boat. Catch a leg on the windscreen and trip off the boat, slip slide off the sides and land between the dock and a moving boat, or reside to being a crash test docker. PASS

No sir, post count means nothing. Just haven't visited in a long time. Wasn't bashing.

Don't recall saying anything about efficient. Sorry to have upset you.

WTDecker 01-14-2011 02:31 PM

I have been in a M-31 many times, never had a problem getting in or out via the bow. Same goes the others I've seen get in and out. Maybe if it's a problem consider a diet,,,,LOL.

WTDecker 01-14-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by todd969 (Post 3297490)
It's all good. BLee pretty much nailed it. Would I own a DCB? Absolutely NOT when I could have a real CAT for damn near the same price. DCB koolaid and bling are overrated.

Ask yourself this: When was the last time you saw DCB in any boat racing series, then ask why is it DCB racing?

Sure Dave builds a nice product, but there's always something better.

Todd

As you said "there is always something better". You can say that about everything and anything. It is just whats works for you. What does it really matter about the racing thing anyway.