Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help!! Dented CMI Headers!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245714-help-dented-cmi-headers.html)

bullittcustoms 01-15-2011 08:24 AM

Help!! Dented CMI Headers!!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these headers for Cheap. The dents are right on the top side in plain sight too....They are CMI's for a V10 Ilmor that I just bought...

Thanks, Derek

http://gallery.me.com/bullittcustoms...12951013730001

Skatermac 01-15-2011 08:45 AM

Fill with water then pressurize with air try 15psi. Heat with torch. No guarantees. Will work on thin metal some signs of the dent will still be there. Re-polish when happy repair. Good luck!

offshoredrillin 01-15-2011 08:50 AM

if they were damaged in shipping then file a claim with the shipper and get a new one.

Donzi Dude 01-15-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3297934)
if they were damaged in shipping then file a claim with the shipper and get a new one.

Had UPS bent the same prop twice, What can Brown screw up for you today.
Good question , did they arrive that way?

bullittcustoms 01-15-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Donzi Dude (Post 3297940)
Had UPS bent the same prop twice, What can Brown screw up for you today.
Good question , did they arrive that way?

They were put inside a boat we had delivered and were boxed when we got em. They went from the guy we got them from to inside the cockpit of a daytona to my shop floor when we opened them. The guy I bought them from just failed to mention they were beat all to S**T..... I wonder if CMI will fix for a reasonable price?

Derek

Comanche3Six 01-15-2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by bullittcustoms (Post 3298008)
They were put inside a boat we had delivered and were boxed when we got em. They went from the guy we got them from to inside the cockpit of a daytona to my shop floor when we opened them. The guy I bought them from just failed to mention they were beat all to S**T..... I wonder if CMI will fix for a reasonable price?

Derek

Derek
CMI has to cut them apart and install a new tube. Sorry for your misfortune.
Ed

jwurl 01-15-2011 11:15 AM

Since the damage is near the open end, find a good automotive paintless dent guy. They have a bunch of special shaped tools that can pretty much get anywhere. They can probably pop those out with no problem. Jeff Wurl

Boat1 01-15-2011 12:40 PM

Tig weld on some welding rod peices and use a slide hammer and heat, similar to a body shop pin puller dent remover. I would just try and get it opened up for water flow, then maybe a carbon fiber accent panel the covers the bump for some added bling. Good Luck

c_deezy 01-15-2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boat1 (Post 3298112)
Tig weld on some welding rod peices and use a slide hammer and heat, similar to a body shop pin puller dent remover. I would just try and get it opened up for water flow, then maybe a carbon fiber accent panel the covers the bump for some added bling. Good Luck

Exactly. Should be able to pull it out quite a bit.

Or if its only the outer tube, and just the one on the top you could slice the outer tube off, knock the dents out and then tig it back on. That way if the inner is dinged, when you pull the outer off you could fix the inner too.

wjb21ndtown 01-15-2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Boat1 (Post 3298112)

+1

This is the only repair method that I can see working. 15lbs. of air pressure and moderate heat isn't going to do anything to those headers.