Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gun laws on Lake Michigan (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245764-gun-laws-lake-michigan.html)

ICDEDPPL 01-16-2011 08:44 AM

Gun laws on Lake Michigan

Ever since I got my boat I`ve wondered what they are? Can one carry one on a boat? Could I go out few miles with noone around and do some shooting?
Does it depend on State I`m in or is it under Coast Guard rules?

Audiofn 01-16-2011 08:50 AM

I don't know for sure in MI but in Massachusetts you can carry on the boat no problem. I don't know about shooting offshore, but I don't see why not.

Downtown42 01-16-2011 09:10 AM

Not sure legally but always had fun 5mi E of Milwaukee!!!

LapseofReason 01-16-2011 09:16 AM

I am sure that they wont want you shooting into the water unless it's steel shot. I would call a few people and ask to see if they say the same thing, even if it's legal and you start blasting the cops will show up. Here on the Potomac all the water is Maryland property, the guy who owened the company I work for lived Fairfax County and you cant shoot there, he then found out that if he took the one board off his dock so it wasn't atached to his land he was in Maryland so he set up a Skeet thrower off his dock and everybody had a fit but the cops couldn't do anything, the Maryland DNR or whoever they are came over just to make sure he was using steel shot and left. That was 20+ years ago now so I am not sure if they changed now.

CNC 01-16-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3298577)
I don't know for sure in MI but in Massachusetts you can carry on the boat no problem. I don't know about shooting offshore, but I don't see why not.

Wow... I have a CCW license in Mi. A friend of mine in Ma. told me I need to get a permit before I bring a gun into Ma. (long or short). Not a gun friendly state only states worst are Il. or Wi.

CNC 01-16-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 3298574)
Ever since I got my boat I`ve wondered what they are? Can one carry one on a boat? Could I go out few miles with noone around and do some shooting?
Does it depend on State I`m in or is it under Coast Guard rules?

The first question from the coasties is "any weapons on board?"
I answer yes tell them the location of the weapon and that I have a CCW.....then we continue on from there..

thirdchildhood 01-16-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by CNC (Post 3298618)
The first question from the coasties is "any weapons on board?"
I answer yes tell them the location of the weapon and that I have a CCW.....then we continue on from there..

Best answer :). Whatever you do don't reach for the weapon! Tell them where it is. Don't stray into Canadian waters! I do not carry a weapon on board.

Ooops, Lake Michigan, no Canadian waters. Not nearly as much law enforcement than on the international lakes.....

ICDEDPPL 01-16-2011 09:42 AM

I`m mostly on the Indiana side, which is a gun friendly state, when I launch in Chicago thou I`m sure Id be going away in handcuffs, question is how far offshore does Chicago Police have jurisdiction.
Illinois is the worst for gun control, City of Chicago and KING Dailey ruins it for everyone :mad:

Jupiter Sunsation 01-16-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 3298629)
I`m mostly on the Indiana side, which is a gun friendly state, when I launch in Chicago thou I`m sure Id be going away in handcuffs, question is how far offshore does Chicago Police have jurisdiction.
Illinois is the worst for gun control, City of Chicago and KING Dailey ruins it for everyone :mad:

Yeah but the state is crime free now right?..................NOT

CNC 01-16-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 3298629)

I wonder how far out into the lake city and state jurisdiction goes?