Help!!  Dented CMI Headers!! >

Help!! Dented CMI Headers!!

Notices

Help!! Dented CMI Headers!!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Dented CMI Headers!!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these headers for Cheap. The dents are right on the top side in plain sight too....They are CMI's for a V10 Ilmor that I just bought...

Thanks, Derek

Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Registered

Fill with water then pressurize with air try 15psi. Heat with torch. No guarantees. Will work on thin metal some signs of the dent will still be there. Re-polish when happy repair. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

if they were damaged in shipping then file a claim with the shipper and get a new one.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
if they were damaged in shipping then file a claim with the shipper and get a new one.
Had UPS bent the same prop twice, What can Brown screw up for you today.
Good question , did they arrive that way?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi Dude
Had UPS bent the same prop twice, What can Brown screw up for you today.
Good question , did they arrive that way?
They were put inside a boat we had delivered and were boxed when we got em. They went from the guy we got them from to inside the cockpit of a daytona to my shop floor when we opened them. The guy I bought them from just failed to mention they were beat all to S**T..... I wonder if CMI will fix for a reasonable price?

Derek
Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bullittcustoms
They were put inside a boat we had delivered and were boxed when we got em. They went from the guy we got them from to inside the cockpit of a daytona to my shop floor when we opened them. The guy I bought them from just failed to mention they were beat all to S**T..... I wonder if CMI will fix for a reasonable price?

Derek
Derek
CMI has to cut them apart and install a new tube. Sorry for your misfortune.
Ed
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Since the damage is near the open end, find a good automotive paintless dent guy. They have a bunch of special shaped tools that can pretty much get anywhere. They can probably pop those out with no problem. Jeff Wurl
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Registered

Tig weld on some welding rod peices and use a slide hammer and heat, similar to a body shop pin puller dent remover. I would just try and get it opened up for water flow, then maybe a carbon fiber accent panel the covers the bump for some added bling. Good Luck
Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boat1
Tig weld on some welding rod peices and use a slide hammer and heat, similar to a body shop pin puller dent remover. I would just try and get it opened up for water flow, then maybe a carbon fiber accent panel the covers the bump for some added bling. Good Luck
Exactly. Should be able to pull it out quite a bit.

Or if its only the outer tube, and just the one on the top you could slice the outer tube off, knock the dents out and then tig it back on. That way if the inner is dinged, when you pull the outer off you could fix the inner too.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat1
+1

This is the only repair method that I can see working. 15lbs. of air pressure and moderate heat isn't going to do anything to those headers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.