Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks? >

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Notices

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

New article in Performance Boats Magazine Jan 2011 issue. Excellent article, excellent examples given, and excellent point. I was almost hit by a drunk boater at full speed in Lake Travis at 11:00 PM while anchored with my wife enjoying the evening. YES the anchor lights were on. I had to power up and drag anchor to get out of his way. The behavior I see at times is atrocious and this article should be read by each and every member of OSO. As an owner of three boats I never drive drunk because I don't ever drink while boating. My crew may, but not me.

You comments please.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always limit myself now to no more than 2 beers a day whenever I am on the boat. However, had some times years ago when I am lucky I didn't kill myself or anyone else, finally grew up and blessed my lucky charms. I think we all went through that age when we were too young to realize how stupid we were being- what I don't understand is people old enough to know better that don't!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

I limit myself to no more than one beer per hour and don't let guests get trashed but there will still be ice cold beer in my cooler along with the gatorade. Some won't like hearing that but Michigan boaters have long enjoyed the right to drink a cold brewski on the water.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I limit myself to no more than one beer per hour and don't let guests get trashed but there will still be ice cold beer in my cooler along with the gatorade. Some won't like hearing that but Michigan boaters have long enjoyed the right to drink a cold brewski on the water.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I won't have more than 1 or 2 at the most if I am going to be running the boat.

Luckily the local raft up is within about 100 yards from my pier so I will have a few out there and idle home....
Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered

I don't drink when I'm running the boat. Period. Also, I'm really not happy if any of my passengers start getting wasted because they can also be a liability.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Registered

And annoying. Did I mention that dealing with drunk people when you are trying to run or dock a boat can be annoying?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by richanton
And annoying. Did I mention that dealing with drunk people when you are trying to run or dock a boat can be annoying?
+1

The worst thing is finishing a nice day out boating and one of your " pissed passengers" falls and breaks something on the boat or pukes over the sun-pad......
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
+1

The worst thing is finishing a nice day out boating and one of your " pissed passengers" falls and breaks something on the boat or pukes over the sun-pad......
Jeremy, what is the law on drinking and boating in Canada? I ask because I often stray into Canadian waters.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Jeremy, what is the law on drinking and boating in Canada? I ask because I often stray into Canadian waters.
Howdy Carl, basically the same as the US.......DUI if the driver is over a prescribed limit......not sure what it is lately because the laws for motor vehicles has changed to 0 tolerance....over .05 and your vehicle is seized and you get an automatic driving suspension...!!!

I believe here, technically you are not allowed open alcohol while a boat is running.....?

Basically what I do is keep a low profile and make sure all my paperwork and safety gear is in order and have had no problems in 30+ years of boating.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.