Notices

Luxury Superboat?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Having an Industrial Design background myself and dabbling in boat design and hydrodynamic engineering, I can tell you it is much harder to make a performance boat green than a vehicle on wheels. The friction and tension created by water vs. a rolling object are two way different things. It takes very little hp and torque to maintain a rolling object moving once you initiate it vs. something on the water.
That said, I would look at crossing the Formula 40ss with its retractable hard top and wide open cockpit with the length and power of the Nor-Tech 5000V. I would also find a way other than canvas to enclose the outside cockpit space in bad weather to utilize it better. All areas must be heated and cooled. Also, radar, GPS, Trac-vision and all electronic goodies must be included.
Bio-diesel/diesel would probably be the way to go with surface drives or pod drives and bow and stern thrusters.
Lastly, it should have a swim platform that lowers into the water and has the capability of holding a small tender or Ski-Doo.
Instead of a V bottom, a cat will create a faster boat with less friction but it has limitations on the useable cabin space.

Wow! I need to talk to Terry or Skip with this one.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign
Nor-tech 5000 series is very appealing.
+ 100
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

already done for ya, try this website..... guess you could add a stipper pole, for class.

http://www.wally.com/jumpch.asp?idChannel=44
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Any big magnum?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Any big magnum?

Nail on the head!

Jeff
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this web site... www.MagnumMarine.com "HIGH LIFE"
Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

If I was a boatbuilder I would definitely look into the eco-resin. And OP, how big do you want to go...;

http://www.superyachts.com/motor-yacht-2659/ermis2.htm

Motor Yacht Ermis2
Luxury motor yacht Ermis2 was built in 2007 by New Zealand shipyard McMullen & Wing and represents an innovative and fast-moving superyacht. With a GRP hull and superstructure, she features interior and exterior design by Humphreys Yacht Design. This triple waterjet propulsion yacht measures 37.8 metres and can accommodate up to eight guests.

Designed by Rob Humphreys in the United Kingdom with composite engineering by High Modulus, this high speed motor yacht is constructed using the VIP (Vacuum Infusion Process) in Carbon- fibre to obtain an ultra-lightweight construction able to withstand the extreme loadings of up to 2.2G while travelling at over 55 knots.

The M&W design team embarked upon a program to critically analyse every component of the vessel to save weight; the vacuum infusion process of Carbon-fibre/Kevlar/Foam composite was utilized in the building of hull and superstructure, Titanium where possible for deck fittings and hand rails, and light weight veneered foam panels for interior joinery, all to Germanischer Lloyds Class and MCA.

Fitted with a generous array of navigation and communications systems, Ermis2 is a state of the art vessel, complimented with an interior that is streamlined and light. Paint-treated ash and clear varnish maple combine with contemporary furnishings to create a modern nautical language. She was the winner of the “Best Power Yacht, 24-40 metres” category at the 2008 International Superyacht Society Design and Leadership Awards.

Motor yacht Ermis2 has a strong and serious profile that doesn’t look unlike a workboat, based on a brief by the owner that being seaworthy was her main priority. The interior mirrors this profile but carries a sense of comfort with its use of lighter woods and yellow, tan and blue leathers. Amongst her four cabins are an indulgent master stateroom; one double cabin; and two twin cabins.

Luxury yacht Ermis2 is powered by three MTU16V 4000 M90 series engines that allow her to reach a maximum speed of 57 knots. She can achieve a range of 2,300 nautical miles while cruising at a speed of 30 knots.

(BTW the engines make 3650hp each, which I assume is why jet propulsion was used instead of shaft drive units).

Good luck on your quest and keep us posted with your drawings.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign
Nor-tech 5000 series is very appealing.
I agree. LOL I love mine. Yanmar diesel power. Fuel efficient. Arneson drives. Glass cockpit. Well appointed cabin. It is very quiet and normal conversations can be carried on while underway. Not sure if modifications are required to burn bio diesel or not? I must ask about that. This boat meets many of the criteria you describe.
I know there is at least one Vee that has turbine power.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Luxury Superboat?-ft-myers-pr-april-08-009.jpg   Luxury Superboat?-bobs-yanmars.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-18-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Any big magnum?

Reminds me of an older Magnum ad. The text was:

"There are two ways to get a 70' yacht to do 80mph:
1. Commision a naval architect, plunk down millions of $, wait three years and hope it floats.
2. Call us "
Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Have you seen the 80' Nortech Roadster?

In my book, that is a blend of performance and luxury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.