Notices

Luxury Superboat?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury Superboat?

Greetings,

I am a college student that has been given the opportunity to work on a design project. The idea is to combine what we enjoy about fast, beautiful racing boats with a sense of luxury for personal enjoyment. Being that this is a purely conceptual idea I was hoping I could get some insight on what things I could focus on to help further back my story of my design. If you would be so kind, don't hesitate to mention even the simplest thoughts, due to my very small background on the topic. Im interested in ideal sizes, propulsion system, hull shapes and etc. Of course as well as how we can improve the "green" aspects of it, and possibly how to make them quieter. Thanks in advanced for your help.

-Matt
Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Possible Answer

Check out the several versions of the SUNSEEKER SUPERHAWK.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Some questions regarding your assigment.
1. What is the range of your prosposed design in size (how feet long)?
2. Unlimited Budget?
3. Purpose of the vessel?
4. Optimum speed?

For the purposes of going very fast the catamaran design is best, and there are some luxury cats out there that go very fast such as Statement Marine's offering (Skater, Nortech, Outerlimits also make catarmarans and are nice choices):

http://www.statementmarine.com/

If you are looking for not so fast, but fast for its class in the luxury yacht design I like Lazzara (not a catamaran but an excellent designer &builder):

http://www.lazzarayachts.com/

or if you want yo really get some ideas of fast and CAD design go to the Mystic site:

http://www.mysticpowerboats.com/

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Smarty; 01-17-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot, although those are more in the yacht category. I was looking more into the hi-performance boats, but with slightly less thump and a little more class? Please excuse my poor description I am more of a car guy and lack knowledge in the boating realm. The nor-tech boats are kind of the style I am looking for, just more "green" and a little less "race-like"
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

gonna hafta be a big diesel boat for sure if you want (reasonable) speed and luxery, the best of both worlds and in the 45 to 50 foot range. As far a greening it up thats a tough bill to fill on large performance boats, along with focusing on greening up the function you might green up the build process as well. There are more environmentally friendly methods these days, infusion and maybe some eco friendly resins are a start. In the build process you'll need to be as efficient as possible and have very little waste. Epoxy systems are also very eco friendly when compared to any ester system.

quick search found this but i will look into it further.
http://www.castingabout.co.uk/www.ca...co-Resins.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-17-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If I were looking for a luxury speed boat, these are the things I would want, a large washroom with shower, air conditioning and heat, nice master bed and the seating in the cabin could also be a pull out bed for guest, large cockpit area, engines would be twin 525 Merc's or diesel. Propulsion would be a surface drive. A 48 ft. Fountain Cruiser would be pretty close to what I would be thinking of or a 43 ft. F1 Sunsation or an Outer Limits around the same size as the others. The boat would have to have a rumble from the engines. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Without a working flux capacitor the green part is still a few years out.

Good luck with your research the previous mentioned are leaders in the industry.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign
Thanks a lot, although those are more in the yacht category. I was looking more into the hi-performance boats, but with slightly less thump and a little more class? Please excuse my poor description I am more of a car guy and lack knowledge in the boating realm. The nor-tech boats are kind of the style I am looking for, just more "green" and a little less "race-like"
Formula Powerboats makes a wide range of boats and would be an excellent starting point for your research (a picture of a Formula boat):

http://www.formulaboats.com/

The staples of this type of website are Cigarette, Skater, Fountain, Nortech, Outerlimits, and there are many others. As far as green in the go-fast category, I am not sure how to advise you, with respect to fuel cell technology, solar, and or hybrid power design in our type of boats, that would negate optimum performance.

There are many knowledgable people on this site who will help you, once they read this thread. This is truly a very helpful and informative website.
Attached Thumbnails Luxury Superboat?-formula-boats.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty
Some questions regarding your assigment.
1. What is the range of your prosposed design in size (how feet long)?
2. Unlimited Budget?
3. Purpose of the vessel?
4. Optimum speed?

For the purposes of going very fast the catamaran design is best, and there are some luxury cats out there that go very fast such as Statement Marine's offering (Skater, Nortech, Outerlimits also make catarmarans and are nice choices):

http://www.statementmarine.com/

If you are looking for not so fast, but fast for its class in the luxury yacht design I like Lazzara (not a catamaran but an excellent designer &builder):

http://www.lazzarayachts.com/

or if you want yo really get some ideas of fast and CAD design go to the Mystic site:

http://www.mysticpowerboats.com/

Good luck with your project.
Size- Upwards in the 50' or plus range, I understand steering and such would be compromised as you go out of the norm but I would like to focus on the "visual proportions" here. Example: How sports cars are lower to the ground with smaller front windshields. It gives the vehicle a sense of motion and speed.

Budget- Being that this is purely conceptual and mainly a "styling exercise" I would have to say the budget would be unlimited. I just need to be able to support why I chose to make certain features the way the were because It should still be fairly realistic project.

Purpose - Well the idea was to design sexy, sleek hi- performance boat the utilizes modern technologies to reduce emissions and "noise pollution". Beyond that I would like to try to justify how a hi performance boat in this category could be beneficial in the market if possible.

Speed- Based on what I have already stated what would be a good target speed? I think I need to do some research on the propulsion system before I can go ahead with this in any form. Is it possible to generate enough hp with an electric motor to be at performance speeds. 120-150 mph range?

Thanks a lot for your help, as I said before I have very little knowledge of watercrafts so thanks for trying to help out.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

look at the 50 hustler if you want bigger the 80 foot nortek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.