Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Shogren and Fountain Part Ways >

Shogren and Fountain Part Ways

Notices

Shogren and Fountain Part Ways

Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And by the way I kept my 29 Scarab because it was bigger than the 32 Fever where we use it.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Just saying the top speed thing isnt everything, he knew years ago that that was all he had on the other top boats, he put out the bait and only OL bit on it. Ok he won by a few mph in a one off boat, the OL must have cost a ton to build too and now you can have it for pennies of what it cost. I would like to know if OL would do it again if they had the chance, I bet not.
That old NASCAR crap of win on sunday sell on monday isnt true anymore, people are smarter now and want the best for the money.
That one off boat had an outer skin barely 1/16 inch thick. It needed the transom replaced very shortly after being sold. It should have been destroyed because it is a very light and very weak boat. Those record speeds were not set with production boats. How do I know this? I saw it in the shop up close.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Team Shogren
We are looking for freshwater, clean, used v-bottoms with stock Mercury power, not just Fountains.

Thank you

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com
I understand.... Just the advertisement I saw did not mention any other brands. Large square just said we are looking for used fountains
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
That one off boat had an outer skin barely 1/16 inch thick. It needed the transom replaced very shortly after being sold. It should have been destroyed because it is a very light and very weak boat. Those record speeds were not set with production boats. How do I know this? I saw it in the shop up close.
The OL wasnt a one off boat and was run hard for years and will make someone a great boat now that Shogren updated it a bit and at a great price!!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fglightning
Some interesting reading on this forum. I'd like to touch base on the conversation regarding the 47 Fountain versus the 46 Black Thunder. My best friend owns a 46 Black Thunder and I will say the room in the cockpit is tremendous and you can have a lot of friends on there--the head room in the cuddy speaks for itself. Your comment about the BT being way more of a boat than the 47 Fountain just isn't true. This year I had the opportunity to go from Miami to Key West on a full staggered 850 47' Fountain. I must say, the ride quality was amazing. Doesn't even come close to the BT. When you compare the two boats, you have to compare the weight. A 47 Fountain is 16,500 pounds. A 46 BT is 12,500. I'm not saying the BT with 700s wouldn't be a mile an hour faster, but given the 4,000 pound weight difference and the ride quality of a Fountain, they aren't comparable. Any kind of snotty water--I wouldn't want to go over 65 in a BT. That 47 Fountain, however, can handle any speed you throw at it. It's a true offshore boat.

Bryan
What year is your friends black thunder? Hull changes were made in 07 on the black thunder. A staggerd 850 fountain should handle better then your friends side by side black thunder. It would be cool to see a 850 staggard black thunder though. Who will sleep better at night in the cabin, have more friends in the cockpit, etc. Are we racing here, running poker runs professinonally, or talking recreation. I have not attended tres driving school! A 47 might handle rough better, might not. Depending on the setup, driver, etc.

MY POINT is the speed of the black thunder is impressive, especially how big it is. You admit that.
Black Thunder fits MY needs better then a fountain. OVERALL not just in one catagory. FOR recreational use. It IS way more of a boat then the fountain to me and others, but not everyone. Explain to me how a 47 fountain will serve ME better in RECREATIONAL use please. Thats all.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
I can tell you I've had seat time in MANY Baja models and every later Fountain model (early 2000's up). first there is no comparison in the ride or construction. I agree with what people have said that Fountain built the best of the production boats. I don't think thats a bad thing. It's also true that Baja has it's place as an entry level, price competitive model. Just a fact.

And regarding your comment about staying on boats for the weekend..... thats a VERY different boating than most do here. Most dont use their boats as a camper.
You are the first one to bring up "Fountain built the best of the production boats".
Everyone else is brainwashed that fountain is the best, overall, out of everyboat, in every situation, for everyone, against everything, in every catagory, no matter what, fountain or nothing! LOL!
I never argued they might be the best out of the production boats, but there are many other things to consider. Price, looks, condition of used boat, etc. Depending on each persons situation.

Here in Michigan we sleep on our boats! The days are sunny, 80, and beautful looking down 30ft deep and seeing sand bottom, and the night cools off for great sleeping without the humidity. I understand everyone boats differently, just stating my opinion on how some of us boat. Almost every sport boat still have a cabin, v birth, etc. for a reason. Sorry you guys are missing out on the best part of boating! Everything is better on a boat, I mean everything
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you and that would be ALOT of azz to overcome the looks of that boat LOL
That is for sure.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.performanceboats.com/cont...owerboats.html
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
You are the first one to bring up "Fountain built the best of the production boats".
Everyone else is brainwashed that fountain is the best, overall, out of everyboat, in every situation, for everyone, against everything, in every catagory, no matter what, fountain or nothing! LOL!
I never argued they might be the best out of the production boats, but there are many other things to consider. Price, looks, condition of used boat, etc. Depending on each persons situation.

Here in Michigan we sleep on our boats! The days are sunny, 80, and beautful looking down 30ft deep and seeing sand bottom, and the night cools off for great sleeping without the humidity. I understand everyone boats differently, just stating my opinion on how some of us boat. Almost every sport boat still have a cabin, v birth, etc. for a reason. Sorry you guys are missing out on the best part of boating! Everything is better on a boat, I mean everything
I guess doing it once a year might be fun, but most either stay in a nice hotel or waterfront home.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I guess doing it once a year might be fun, but most either stay in a nice hotel or waterfront home.
I actually prefer sleeping on the boat and I don't even have a real cabin. I would just rather be with the other boaters and on the water. Many of the marinas around the Great Lakes, PIB comes to mind, have top notch facilities for the boaters. Air conditioned showers and rest rooms and a marina store that sells beer and local wine. Wi-fi too! Not only does it save the cost of a motel room but it is more fun sleeping on the boat. My next boat will definitely have a full cabin. The marina at Cedar Point has two restaurants, one upscale and one regular, a swimming pool, at least one store, fuel of course and a private entrance to the amusement park that opens one hour before the main entrance! If you guys aren't using your cabins you are missing out on a big part of the fun of boating IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.