Notices

Documentation Question

Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by patyacht
It's a no brainer. Just call the Doc Center, make sure they have the right address and like clockwork they will send you a letter about 6 weeks to 1 month before renewal, sign the letter mail it back and in about a week you've got your renewal. Done and it's free minus 5 minutes of your time an your stamp costs of course.
X2
Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USCG is the way to go.

Had all of mine done this way..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patyacht
It's a no brainer. Just call the Doc Center, make sure they have the right address and like clockwork they will send you a letter about 6 weeks to 1 month before renewal, sign the letter mail it back and in about a week you've got your renewal. Done and it's free minus 5 minutes of your time an your stamp costs of course.
X1000. There is absolutely no reason to pay a service to do this for you. Get your address set up with the coast guard and they automatically send you the form each year. It is SIMPLE!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to pile on here, I also received one of those letter trying to charge me to renew. I called the USCG and they were really friendly and helpful. Just this week I received my renewal from the USCG and just as everyone has said, just mail or fax it back in. On the website they indicated that they prefer fax, so that is what I did.

(Thought it was funny that the US GOV does not prefer US Mail but rather fax, not that I blame them)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
There are services that do the renewal for you for a fee. One such service in CA is Mary Conlin Co. I have used them in the past for two different boats. They charge $100.00 for 3 years of automatic renewal. It just makes it so you don't have to think about it. Personal preference.
X1,000,000 on the mail in renewal. WHY would you pay someone to do this. It automatically comes to the address on the documentation. Sign, put a stamp on it and drop it in the mail. 44 cents is all it will cost you and a minute of your time.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
There are services that do the renewal for you for a fee. One such service in CA is Mary Conlin Co. I have used them in the past for two different boats. They charge $100.00 for 3 years of automatic renewal. It just makes it so you don't have to think about it. Personal preference.
With a stamp price of $0.44 that means they are making $98.68 bucks on you over that 3 years - don't give those crooks the satisfaction.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone....I will followup with the USCG and make sure that I am in the system with the correct address.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html

Use this link. Type in the vessel name, find your boat and check your info. If your boat isn't listed, you've got a problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is absolutely no reason why your renewal should not come directly to you from USCG. It is 100% free for renewal, unless you mail it in late and then it is $5.00