Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Getting closer to paint! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245987-getting-closer-paint.html)

Wildman_grafix 01-20-2011 09:15 AM

I do a lot of custom paintwork, not on boats but smaller stuff. I love House of Kolor, candies, pearls, colors and specialty paint but always use PPG for everything else. Not real found of there clears.

Every time I try another clear I end up going back to DCU2021. I have tried the Omni line because everyone seems to think stuff should be cheap now (My paint prices have increased this year about 25% to 30%), but it just isn’t the same. The one difference is I am usually trying to bury paint edges, airbrush, and artwork so I need a high solids clear.

Omni doesn’t look to bad, seems to spray well but is a bit thin. I really think you get what you pay for, another question you need to ask yourself is how long do you want it to look good?

36Tango 01-20-2011 05:14 PM

I was going to today but ran out of time. I will check into the PPG line tomorrow. I appreciate all of the input.

302Sport 01-20-2011 06:06 PM

Matrix is ppg. Just about a third of the price. They even have their own house of kolors stuff. Do some research and you will be surprised. Even has the same numbers on the tints. Anything you can get in ppg you can get in matrix but most people wont tell you that cause they want you to buy their expensive stuff.

overlimits 01-20-2011 07:02 PM

matrix is a good way to go to save sum bucks, sprays just like DBC, and they have a clear like 2021, MS-20, we use it often.
remember the color you speak of is a tricoat, I would try to find a similar color in a 2 stage if your on a budget. good luck with the project, and post some pics of it finished love to see um.

302Sport 01-20-2011 07:05 PM

I'm using the matrix equivelant of ppgs oh so orange. Paying about a quarter of ppgs list price. It is a tri stage with a orange base, Pearl, then clear

36Tango 01-20-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by overlimits (Post 3302925)
matrix is a good way to go to save sum bucks, sprays just like DBC, and they have a clear like 2021, MS-20, we use it often.
remember the color you speak of is a tricoat, I would try to find a similar color in a 2 stage if your on a budget. good luck with the project, and post some pics of it finished love to see um.

I think that it is just a base clear and is not a tri coat. Where do you buy Matrix?

Wet-N-Wild 01-20-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3302304)
I do a lot of custom paintwork, not on boats but smaller stuff. I love House of Kolor, candies, pearls, colors and specialty paint but always use PPG for everything else. Not real found of there clears.

Every time I try another clear I end up going back to DCU2021. I have tried the Omni line because everyone seems to think stuff should be cheap now (My paint prices have increased this year about 25% to 30%), but it just isn’t the same. The one difference is I am usually trying to bury paint edges, airbrush, and artwork so I need a high solids clear.

Omni doesn’t look to bad, seems to spray well but is a bit thin. I really think you get what you pay for, another question you need to ask yourself is how long do you want it to look good?

I also do custom work on show bikes and cars and I love HOK. Everyone is right Matrix is really good also. Can't wait to see some pics. I would love to paint my boat, but by myself it would probably take me a year the way I want it. Just curious, how much does it cost to paint a boat?? How much paint and clear does it take?

glassdave 01-20-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 36Tango (Post 3302938)
I think that it is just a base clear and is not a tri coat. Where do you buy Matrix?

Synergy Green is a tri coat and is very difficult to repair, it also depends what the base is in the tricoat system as to how tough a repair is. I have had good sucess with GM (Cadillacs) pearls and reds as far as fixing them but it was because the base was very close to the final color anyway. There may be a two stage base/clear variant for Synergy though.

PokerRun388 01-20-2011 08:10 PM

Just make sure its done for desert storm.... oh yah!:coolcowboy:

36Tango 01-20-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3302973)
Synergy Green is a tri coat and is very difficult to repair, it also depends what the base is in the tricoat system as to how tough a repair is. I have had good sucess with GM (Cadillacs) pearls and reds as far as fixing them but it was because the base was very close to the final color anyway. There may be a two stage base/clear variant for Synergy though.

Huh, I was thinking that it was just a base and clear. Like I say, I am not matching anything, so there is no sense in making it too complicated. A base/clear is fine, I just need to find one in the color palate that is close to synergy green. Unfortunately I was in Florida last week on business so this week has been too hectic to dig too deep. I will try to find a local PPG dealer tomorrow.

The prep work continues!